The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Apr 24, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #706 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am more focused on HPA's decision to use the Protector for large cans and the smaller Pico Slim for his IEMs. No doubt the Protector is a fine amp but is it really another universe with IEMs or rather... a fine amp?

(I am contesting hyperbole and superlatives, not trashing the Protector. I have not heard it and the feedback on here suggests that it is at least rather good.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was given the impression that HPA (and friends he tested the slim/protector with) liked the slim with their ES3X's and the protector with their 13's?

EDIT: In terms of the cost, find a friend/forum member that's handy with a soldering iron and you can save a bunch of money re terminating
smily_headphones1.gif

I am using the Protector balanced in my bedroom laptop rig with HD600 and JH13Pro on a regular basis. My source is the Pico DAC-only and DACport. I did like the Pico Slim a little better with ES3X, so the 5G Nano/Slim/ES3X will be my portable rig.

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #707 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the Protector balanced in my bedroom laptop rig with HD600 and JH13Pro on a regular basis. My source is the Pico DAC-only and DACport. I did like the Pico Slim a little better with ES3X, so the 5G Nano/Slim/ES3X will be my portable rig.

Thanks for clarifying (correcting me on) that. It sounds like the ES3X ramps up nicely with a crisp detailed SE amp.

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #708 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His question, to which I was replying, was is there a better portable amp to used with a balanced IEM. Since I am not aware of ANY other balanced portable amps, I thought my answer was fair
biggrin.gif
The amp sounds good, and there aren't other portable balanced choices.

But as with every opinion I offer, you can automatically add "In My Opinion" to the end
wink.gif

Fair indeed.
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #710 of 837
Looking very good indeed

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #713 of 837
Yes that is the clear/white/natural aluminium version of the Protector

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #715 of 837
I put the stock ear pads on the balanced Grado HF2 and they sound much better integrated now in the frequency range. With the large ear pads there was too much upper frequency energy leading to a strident quality. With stock pads the stage is nice and large with decent depth and width and a believable audience distance on live recordings.

I still prefer the HD650, Ultrasone Ed. 9 or the JH13's in balanced but the HF2 is another presentation of the sound and they are better, to my ear, balanced than not.

May 4, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #716 of 837
Could someone help me out with the "technical" side of this. I have this interface at home hooked to my Macbook Pro via Firewire and it has a nice 24/192 DAC in it and I am trying to figure out the ideal way to hook this up to the Protector>TWag balanced>JH16PRo.

I am so new to the balanced thing that I have no idea whether there is a way to send the signal balanced or not from this DAC. Also what cables might I need for this. You can see in my sig what cables I will have. Currently I have been listening to this through the headphone out with a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter to the protector input and then to JH16 single ended as my TWag balanced cables have not arrived yet.

M-AUDIO - ProFire 610 - High-Definition 6-in/10-out FireWire Audio Interface with Octane Preamp Technology

Thanks in advance
FRGus723

May 4, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #717 of 837
The Protector only accepts a single ended input signal via a male 1/8" trs plug

May 4, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #718 of 837
OK, Thanks for the quick reply.

So no way to get a balanced signal in and all balancing is done with the phase splitter then.

May 4, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #719 of 837
Yep

May 5, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #720 of 837
Well, I spent a good hour to two with Protector and HD800 using the Blue Dragon cable. I have to say, it can certainly drives the HD800 in balanced mode with plenty of power on reserve. If I don't have HA5000 and WA6, I will more than happy with just the Protector driving my HD800. It is slightly bright, not sure I need some burn in time with Blue Dragon. It does not brother me a bit as I do like more natural sound plus I love the JH13/Protector combo.

Thanks Ray and Drew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back