The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Apr 22, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #676 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosfandango /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if you have balanced headphones that make sense for you to use portably, then the Protector is the bomb
--------------

I understand your reasoning for not wanting to use 'home' headphones for portable use and the difference in the balanced connectors.

However I was refering to full portable use with balanced IEMS (sorry, wasn't clear on that matter)

So balanced IEM + Protector = nuff said?

Which is kind of what I was asking, why go any other way?

While I won't go on record saying that balanced JH13+Protector is the best possible portable sound available I will go on record saying that it is the best portable sound I have heard
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #677 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Protector arrived yesterday. Fired up to give it a good listen. I am going to give it the 100 hour minimum and then give it a good listen with the JH13 TWAG balanced. Will post some impressions once I have put it through the paces.

Right around the 80-100 mark the bass starts to really shine. I thought my protector's bass was terrible until I got some good burn in going, then it made my x10's fun again
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #678 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most iems don't have 4 wire all the way to the connector, however, so you'll need a source for the pins that go into the IEMs, or will have to buy a cable that can handle it.

You are correct on the IEM front. It seems that a number of IEM's improve with a good aftermarket cable anyway so it seems that if they improve with a good aftermarket cable, which is normally 4 wires to the connector, then if a person wants to go balanced, they have a double plus, if they desire to go balanced.

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #679 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SkyLab, can u give me some impressions of W1000X on Protector?

I can try that pairing at some point, I guess, although it seems an odd pairing - non-portable full sized can that is single-ended only. I wouldn't dare take the W1000X outside
atsmile.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #680 of 837
I just looked at the W1000X on line. They appear to be a beautiful phone. Unless balanced I don't see the point on the Protector since that is its primary purpose but it does drive a number of my phones in SE fine.

How does the W1000X compare to other phones? And I agree, I don't think they are something I would be taking around the park. :^)

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #681 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can try that pairing at some point, I guess, although it seems an odd pairing - non-portable full sized can that is single-ended only. I wouldn't dare take the W1000X outside
atsmile.gif

Though it is closed and high efficient cans aren't they
wink.gif

I might purchase back ED8 but I'd be scared to haul $1500 headphones outside.

edit: its hard to judge from the picture but... are those AT headphones pretty big?

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #682 of 837
The W1000X are quite large, yes. They are very much full sized cans. Same basic size as something like the Beyer DT880, but the AT headband assembly is much more delicate.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #683 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right around the 80-100 mark the bass starts to really shine. I thought my protector's bass was terrible until I got some good burn in going, then it made my x10's fun again
smily_headphones1.gif

I baked it to 600 hrs and it is smooth as silk now.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #685 of 837
I would say the HF2 are the airiest phones I now have since changing them over to balanced. Quite a surprise. I won't say at this point they are my favorite, but they are a nice change. They sound very free and open but could do with a bit more warmth. More time is needed.

Balancing phones, for me so far, really does open up a whole new vista.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #686 of 837
Oh guys, thanks so much for the replies. Lots of information, which is just what I needed.

Thanks again.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #687 of 837
Well...it didn't take long. Couldn't wait to burn it in before listening in balanced mode using the UE5c and TWAG. I can honestly say I have never heard these IEMs sound this good. Clarity, air, definition, speed. Can't wait to burn it in and plug in the JH13.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #689 of 837
X3!!!!

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #690 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosfandango /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK thanks for that.

Now I have to understand if you can recable any headphones with balanced cable and connectors.

Generally speaking, headphones that have a "Y" with a wire going to each earcup can be re-terminated using a balanced connector, such as XLR or Mini-XLR, without the necessity for completely re-cabling the headphone. For portables and IEMs, if the cable resembles a miniature version of common zip cord, it is very likely that it has 4 leads all the way to the plug, where the return leads are made common.

I re-terminated my Yuin G1s, OK2, Koss KSC-35, cheap Sony MDR-CD180s and Ed.8 all without re-cabling. They all had 4 leads in the cables.

Care must be taken to ensure that you install the new connector with the correct polarity (phasing) and correct L & R orientation.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back