The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Mar 11, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #361 of 837
I sent back the demo model. I am going through some serious withdrawals. It isn't pleasant. :^)

I look forward to receiving my Protector and I really look forward to more impressions from others. I think we are on a new level of listening now. I have seen small, good steps, on sound improvement with portable headphone amps, but this amp does what I knew a portable could do, bring a portable to the same sound quality as a very good home unit. What it does with the HD650's balanced is amazing. The combination of the balanced JH13's, which have brought IEM"s to a new level and the Protector is a true distinguishable advancement in high end audio.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #362 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
somehow mine is taking a detour to tennessee while im located in new york....hope it will bring back some souvenirs...

FedEx often ships to it's central hub in Nashville, before redistributing across the country. Ive had packages go from Seattle to Nashville just to turn around and come back to me west of Portland. when a simple trip south would have seemed more logical

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #363 of 837
So i just got my protector in the mail, took some pics during the unpacking for ya'lls since no one else had. And my photo skills are not what some of the rest of you have but oh well
tongue.gif

The FedEx box
DSC00348.jpg

The RSA box inside
DSC00349.jpg

The inside of the box, peanuts included
tongue.gif

DSC00351.jpg

Now i have never had a headphone amp before, let alone a portable, but when i slid this thing out of the pouch, i was stunned, i thought it was easily going to be twice this size!! its so freakin tiny!!!
DSC00352.jpg

Another of the Protector
DSC00353.jpg

Now here's the sad part, You'll notice that there is only one JH-13 attached to that TWag balanced cable
frown.gif
thats because the other one is still in the mail on the way back from a refit...
DSC00356.jpg

So the impressions ill try to put up later will only be from my ATH-A900's in single ended mode
DSC00357.jpg

And here are some pics for size comparison with a iPod Classic
DSC00359.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

I havent even plugged headphones in yet, but i just got back from the gym, so im letting it charge while i shower and then ill plug it into the A900's and see what i find
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #364 of 837
Got mine just a bit ago, The Clear/White color is more of a brushed alluminum to me but solid as a rock. I still need to DIY a Protector Blanced to 4 pin Mini-XLR adapter, but I will probably sneek a single ended listen after the battery charges for few hours.
I only have Hearyourself C-3's but they will do until I save up for some Harvey's

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #365 of 837
How long was your guys' amps held hostage in the Fedex hub in TN?

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #366 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
, but this amp does what I knew a portable could do, bring a portable to the same sound quality as a very good home unit.

what does this mean exactly?

What home amps and what characteristics does the protector share with them, what does it do better what does it do worse?

While using hd650's and other relatively hard to drive headphones that are known to scale well.

Cheers.

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #367 of 837
Many thanks to Ray, my Protector arrived today. Will charge overnight then do some single-ended 24/7 burn-in with a set of AKG 701s. No need for pics since a previous post had plenty. NOTE: perfect packaging!

I'm supposed to have someone reterminating my HD650 Equinox cable with XLRs and making an adaptor to run from the Protector to female XLR connectors, we'll see what happens and in what time frame.

Best of luck to all those who are in line for this amp. Thanks again to RSA Audio.

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #369 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what does this mean exactly?

What home amps and what characteristics does the protector share with them, what does it do better what does it do worse?

While using hd650's and other relatively hard to drive headphones that are known to scale well.

Cheers.

It does what my Woo 6 does and more. It does what the Lisa III does, easily, and more. My Woo 6 (been compared to several high end well respected amps in the 2 thousand dollar range and was not wanting) is very modified and excellent sounding. The Protector drives either the JH13's or HD650's with an ease normally associated with home amps with large power reserves that also power the sound stage with an openness that alludes to the recording venue. The Protector has the ease of drive coupled with a "natural" openness that does not spread the imaging but keeps it pinpoint but yet rounded, as with tubes that often do the 3D effect to a much better degree than SS. You get the feeling of seeing behind and around the performer or instrument. The stage stays wide and deep, if well recorded and even with volume, there is no collapse. The timber and tonality does sax right and piano comes across with all the melodic nature it should have yet there is the dynamic range to do a piano right.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #370 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long was your guys' amps held hostage in the Fedex hub in TN?

Mar 11, 2010 6:53 PM Arrived at FedEx location NEWARK, NJ
Mar 10, 2010 2:34 PM Departed FedEx location MEMPHIS, TN
about 28hours~

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #371 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now i have never had a headphone amp before, let alone a portable, but when i slid this thing out of the pouch, i was stunned, i thought it was easily going to be twice this size!! its so freakin tiny!!!

I believe my first words were "Holy s***!" when unpacking it earlier today. This is my first amplifier as well and I really had no appreciation for it's size until I saw it with my own eyes. I feel like a giant when I turn the knob or flip the switch hah hah! It is a beautiful amp.

Unfortunately, there was no expected package from Craig today. USPS GXG 1-3 days my a**. Pathetic tracking too. I should've went with FedEx.

Listening to the Protector SE on stock cable atm with 2 hours burn-in so far. I can't articulate as well as jamato, but the sound this amp is giving my jh13s is superb. It really tightens up the bass. I switched back to my Cowon S9 unamped, and the bass was much fatter and bloatier. This was not a subtle difference. I'm anxious to hear this balanced now.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #372 of 837
Well I went ahead and cut the cable on my ATH-ESW10 JPN, something I thought I wouldn't do but I wanted them balanced. Now they are. :^)

I don't plan on ever selling them so why not. Wow, and wow. I made an adapter so any of my balanced phones can be used single ended but what a gas to have these and many others in balanced. These things articulate now. Much more dimension to the music. .

Great fun, this is.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #373 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I went ahead and cut the cable on my ATH-ESW10 JPN, something I thought I wouldn't do but I wanted them balanced. Now they are. :^)

I don't plan on ever selling them so why not. Wow, and wow. I made an adapter so any of my balanced phones can be used single ended but what a gas to have these and many others in balanced. These things articulate now. Much more dimension to the music. .

Great fun, this is.

I presume, this thing is bigger in personality then the WA6
smily_headphones1.gif

We should start a new Appreciation Thread.

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #374 of 837
i was wondering if there are any here who would be interested in a Protector-female to 3.5mm male adapter. i was thinking of making one for myself with the mundorf silver/gold wire and i realize that the more i make, the cheaper each one will be ( simple economic of scale). hence i was wondering if there will be anyone who would be willing to take some off my hand. i will only sell it at the price of the raw materials. diy is strictly my hobby and i don't feel good charging anyone for my labor.

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #375 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by xuan87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was wondering if there are any here who would be interested in a Protector-female to 3.5mm male adapter. i was thinking of making one for myself with the mundorf silver/gold wire and i realize that the more i make, the cheaper each one will be ( simple economic of scale). hence i was wondering if there will be anyone who would be willing to take some off my hand. i will only sell it at the price of the raw materials. diy is strictly my hobby and i don't feel good charging anyone for my labor.

You are gonna get swamped with requests now.
biggrin.gif
I ordered one from Whiplash that shipped today, but it would be nice to have a spare in case I re-terminate several phones and want one to go with them. So I'm in for one and maybe two depending on the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back