The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Mar 12, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #391 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by hvu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was listening for like 8 hrs yesterday with balanced HD650 and I was very happy on low setting.

There is no way the Protector can be pushing balanced HD650s on the low setting. I tried it with my Grado RS-1s and on medium it was somewhat straining.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #392 of 837
Well, mine showed up about 15-20 minutes ago. Doesn't look like my cable stuffs will make it today - I don't know if USPS is still doing Saturday delivery, but it shipped Priority Mail so hopefully they will be here tomorrow if they do.

Of course, I couldn't help but give it a quick listen. First impression: sounds pretty good with my HD580. Turn up the volume and second impression: hmmm... I hope this is just the battery being about dead. I was getting a lot of distortion all over the place. So it's charging now and we'll see how it sounds on a full battery. There's no mention of how long it takes to charge the battery, if it's "ok" to listen to the Protector while it's charging, or if it's ok to leave it on the charger all the time in the documentation that comes with it. I'm thinking about mailing Ray to find out, but I'm sure he's awfully busy at the moment.

Will post more in the appreciation thread after it finishes charging and it gets some more head time.

EDIT: Okay, it looks like Ray has already addressed the charging issues:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a RED LED, light, on the charger when charging, it turne GREEN when fully charged. You can keep it on the charger no harm if you so wish. Don't turn it off if you have it connected to the charger as it speeds the burn-in process, if not in use.
Ray Samuels

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #393 of 837
I have my HD650's on right now connected via single ended. If I use high gain and turn them up, the 650 do not distort and the sound is painfully loud. I prefer them balanced now but the amp still powers them fine in single ended. I am playing some Grateful Dead with plenty of bass.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #395 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no way the Protector can be pushing balanced HD650s on the low setting. I tried it with my Grado RS-1s and on medium it was somewhat straining.

I dont know how much of a voltage swing you need to meet your personal listening standards but for me I can listen to my HD650 on low or medium setting and be completely happy.

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #396 of 837
Yes, it also depends upon the output voltage of the source to the amp but medium for the HD650's unless I want to listen very loud but then my ears ring and that is stupid on my part as these are the only ears I have and I don't want to ruin the frequency response and my hearing in general. :^) What I also like about this amp is that it doesn't make the 650's too warm, which can ruin them. So single ended and of course balanced works fine for me. I do prefer the 650's balanced to the ESW10 JPN. The 650's are just more open sounding and balanced, the 10's do take a step up but they can't match the 650's balanced. They are a nice small quality phone though and I have the semi hard case that makes them a good traveling companion.

Edit: I haven't listened very much to the HD650's single ended on the Protector. Now I wish I hadn't, well I do but they sound excellent. I just assumed that single ended would be it and why push a portable with them. I knew with the voltage swing that balanced wouldn't, or shouldn't be an issue and it isn't but now I am hearing them single ended on this amp and I am truly surprised after extended listening. There are many options with this amp.

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #397 of 837
Got mines around noon and tested in both SE and Balanced mode with my JH13. With SE mode, I'm not that impress, it sounds like Mustang. But Balanced mode, MAN OMG, this is amazing. I never would think this little tiny amp can do this. Now, I have to get this puppy burn in but I'm glad I got on this boat.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #398 of 837
Just got pics of the 3.5mm -> RSA balanced female adapter that I asked a dude named FraGGleR here to build for me on the cheap, since I'm a cheapass who can't afford the TWag stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
If there's any other stingy bastards out there I'm sure he could do one for you, the price was low and nice
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm also whipping the guy to do a 4pin XLR -> RSA balanced female adapter so I think he can do other stuff too.

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4950-protector-se-adapter.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4951-protector-se-adapter-close.jpg

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #399 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my HD650's on right now connected via single ended. If I use high gain and turn them up, the 650 do not distort and the sound is painfully loud. I prefer them balanced now but the amp still powers them fine in single ended. I am playing some Grateful Dead with plenty of bass.

jamato8,

You're balanced 650's...are they balanced using the mini connector? I reterminated an IEM last night, but was wondering if there's enough space in the connector for putting in the 650 cable.

Thanks.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #400 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jamato8,

You're balanced 650's...are they balanced using the mini connector? I reterminated an IEM last night, but was wondering if there's enough space in the connector for putting in the 650 cable.

Thanks.

Just peal off some of the rubber from around the cable as it is a little large and use some heat shrink. It works fine.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #402 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suprlite_7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to reterminate the stock JH13 cable? I untwisted and counted three wires. My guess is if sharing a ground is out of the question then my frugal solution may not work.

i reterminated with stock jh13 cables. cutted off above the Y split and cutted the bottom part into 2pieces and soldered them. worked perfectly =)

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #405 of 837
I've got about 36 hours of burn-in on my Protector, and I'm using a borrowed 3-pin full-size balanced adapter to burn it in with my HD600 using a borrowed SAA Equinox cable from Seamaster (which I will return next week once my TWag 4-pin XLR adapter arrives Monday).

I have refrained from listening to anything but the HD600 until I have given it a couple of days of burn-in with the HD600. Before I posted comments on a fresh amp with my JH13Pro, I at least wanted to give my comments using the TWag JH13Pro cable that is on its way (shipped Thursday). I am using a DACport 24/96 USB DAC/amp as a preamp to feed the Protector, and I've been listening to some 24/96 downloads of Sara K. and Nancy Bryan on my Macbook Pro.

It sounds very good, even without burn-in. The amp is pretty transparent and uncolored, and just to the warm side of neutral but not dark in any way. Bass is very strong, and highs seem crisp and detailed. The mids are very present and natural, making it good for female vocals. This is not like my Predator where I needed 350 hours to like it, and 800-1000 hours to sing it's praise. It sounds good out of the box and seems to open up quickly without a lot of burn-in. It it really continues to improve over the next 150-200 hours I will be even happier. Until then I am also refraining from comparing the sound to other portable amps.

There seems to be a lot of claims about the protector being a "desktop amp in a portable package, especially in terms of power". It certainly has more power than the DACport that is feeding it, or my D4 in 9v mode. The Protector has plenty of power for the HD600 in medium gain when driving them balanced, but I can turn it up high enough to get clipping in medium or high gain. However, those volume levels are much higher than I would be caught listening to for my pleasure. I'd guess the power levels with balanced HD600 fall above all the other portable amps that I have, but below many desktop amps like my Square Wave XL balanced desktop amp (which is down right now with bad FETs in the 12v Sigma 22 PSU, so not directly compared but going from memory).

After the Protector is burned in I will compare it to other portable and desktop amps, and post more on the power output. In particular, the 3MOVE and Vivid V1 have been my previous most powerful portables for the HD600, and the Nuforce HDP and Sq Wave XL (or ZDT and SAC KH1000) for the HD600 and HE-5. I'll have to compare the other portable amps single ended, but several of the desktop amps are balanced.

Right now I can say the Protector is a very worthwhile purchase, and likely the best portable amp that I can recommend for HD600 listening, even at this early stage (having never heard the Lisa II that others recommend).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back