The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Mar 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #407 of 837
Thx for the impressions Larry.after burn in can you please compare it to your woo6 with hd600?I want to know if it is in the same league.thanks.

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #408 of 837
about a year ago, i asked about balanced prtable amp. people here think it's unneccessary.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #409 of 837
'Unnecessary' is an over-simplification of the reasons people had with wanting a portable balanced amp. Setting aside the SE/balanced concerns, an amp 1.5x larger with half the battery life wasn't all that desirable when everybody was after smaller, lighter, longer lasting back then. Miniaturization techniques and better battery design changed the equation.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #410 of 837
Can anyone confirm that the stock cable for Senn HD650s can be reterminated for the Protector connector? Just got the amp, but my balanced JH13 cable is MIA... Eager to try balanced mode.

ALSO: assuming the stock cable can be balanced, how can I tell which cables are the grounds?

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #411 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone confirm that the stock cable for Senn HD650s can be reterminated for the Protector connector?

Yes.
Quote:

ALSO: assuming the stock cable can be balanced, how can I tell which cables are the grounds?

There are 3 colors in the HD650 stock cable, red,green and orange. The orange is ground.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #412 of 837
Thanks a million, Knight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.

There are 3 colors in the HD650 stock cable, red,green and orange. The orange is ground.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #413 of 837
Quote:

Can anyone confirm that the stock cable for Senn HD650s can be reterminated for the Protector connector? Just got the amp, but my balanced JH13 cable is MIA... Eager to try balanced mode.

Never ever take it for granted though. If your going to reterminate, at least get a cheap continuity tester and confirm each plug pin once you cut the ends of the wires. At leat the 650's have removable plugs on the can end which makes this process easy.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #414 of 837
Even after only a few hours of burn in and I can tell the difference. I have listened with both single ended and balanced with just my Alien ears C-3's and Hamacher Schlemmer Zebrawood cans and the muddiness is all gone from the C-3's. Now I can put off the JH16's for even a while longer. NOT!. still gotta have them. As for the Zebrawoods, I haven't decided yet but the cable is so cheep that I had a hard time reterminating them and I will hold my final eval for a recable on them.
Still Happy Happy with this purchase even if it is the highest price I've paid so far for an amp. and I will give me incentive to finish balancing the rest of my cans.

Still preliminary but for me, I'll be staying away from silver and sticking with copper cable.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #415 of 837
I received my Protector yesterday. Charged it all night. Since I have not receive my balance Twag jh13 back from Craig yet, so I decide to just compare it single ended. I use all apple lossless tracks w/ Ipod 6g with a ALO sxc 18 gauge LOD and compare it to my Mustang and Protector. I have a SAA equinox cable for the HJ13 and I understand that it is a copper conductor. I know, I know it is not burn in yet , but I can't wait any longer. So I set both amps to low gain and about 2 o'clock position on the pot. I switch around a few tracks (e.g Holly Cole Trio, I can see clearly now) and a few other female vocals. The bass is crisp and punchier. The Protector did not disappoint. Like one review in the other thread that use the word "solid foundation" I find that the most unique characteristic is that each note is play with authority as compare to the Mustang. I don't know if it has something to do with the power supply, but it just feel each note is play with a lot of power. If I have not heard the Protector, the Mustang will make me very happy. But the Protector is punchier when it needs to be. It brings me closer to the music. Compare to the Mustang, it just seems like there is yet another veil is lifted. The Mustang is very dynamic and close to the music already. But the Protector is still clearer, closer, faster in getting to your heart. Notes and instruement separation is better. The ambience is still not as smooth as the Mustang, but I have not burn in at all. This is amazing given the fact that I did not burn in or even warm up the amp. I compared and played it cold from the get go. I did not use it balance. If, with my balance Twag and burn in can bring this performance another 20%, it will be the best thing that happen to portable audio. When I recieve my balance TWag and XLR adaptor to the Protector, I'll compare my HD800 between the desktop BUDA and Protector. It is going to be woooow. For now, I can't get over the fact that the Protector has more body and more authority on each note. Very fun.

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #416 of 837
It's interesting that you used the word "Veil" as that is exactly what I feel has been lifted from even my Budget C-3's. The C-3's ( Poor Mans' JH's) have always had bit of muddiness to the upper mids. Almost a bit of sibilance. GONE with the Protector in both single ended and balanced mode.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #417 of 837
Would like to add that this sounds way better than the Mustang when it's balanced. I haven't tried it in SE though. Bass is better, detail is sharper, and the soundstage is wider. It's just punchier overall.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #418 of 837
EDIT: After two attempts and one burn, I finally got focused enough to get the wires soldered to those tiny connector pins... I was comically inept, but now I'm listening to Radiohead on brand-new balanced HD 650s and a Protector while I wait for a balanced TWAG cable to arrive for my JH13s.

I'm using the db Labs Tranquility USB DAC as my source... So far, so good. I'm planning for many days of burn-in, as basically everything is this system is new. But the sound is sweet even on song two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back