The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Mar 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #331 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question - is it possible to reterminate a regular custom headphone cable at the Y split to use with the balanced connector? i could like to make one to use with the protector temporary before a quad braided cable arrive.

I would like to say a few things before commenting on the cable question.

Many businesses work within Headfi and function almost like a community. Many of us know each other personally and become friends. We use Headfi for the means to provide products that serve our tastes and interests, hobbies and obsessions (Larry). Some of us is not an Amazon that can stock thousands in inventory and ship the same day. In fact, our blood sweat and tears are used to hand make most of our products. I can speak for my myself and MANY others that we have grown custom to have answers in minutes not hours. Product in hours not days. I know that I'm working 7 days a week, 14-16 hours on some days and still raise a family and act as humanly possible.

Please treat us the same as you expect to be treated.

Cable question:
In order for any cable to be terminated with RSA connector, you need 4 wires. If you have that, than it can be terminated anywhere you would like. Some think that you can share grounds; NO!

So, if your headphone has 3 wires (conductors) than you have to recable from the top to bottom. If it has 4 wires, than you can terminate anywhere you would like.

Cool?

Craig

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #333 of 837
Ahhh - great question and yes it can be terminated "above" the y split.

Each side needs 2.

I know that most of you know this, but I have been flooded with these questions and hopefully this will help answer a few.

Craig

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #334 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read my post carefully, Ray, you seem to have missed the point.

It's not in any way related to when the amp was due to be shipped - it's about the fact that I did not get an email confirming you had registered the payment and telling me when it would be sent.

Even "I expect the amp to be ready to send around [INSERT ROUGH DATE] but will confirm precise date when I know" would have been perfectly acceptable to me.

But I get it Ray - you do what you want and if anyone questions it - you refund their money and refuse an amp to them.

Cool.

Just so long as all your potential customers know what to expect...

Dude you must have the most "I'm done saying this, but now I'm back again to say it again" ever! Thanks for your vigilance, but I did Paypal for the convenience.

Since we're all happily sidetracking while waiting for our Protectors, I recently read a NYTimes article about how Visa is winning the battle against Mastercard by increasing the amount of extra charged. That way, more banks prefer to issue Visas, but merchants get screwed, and they passed on screwed up prices to consumers.

Since then I've been using Debit whenever possible. I'm glad that Ray gave us an option- and an incentive- to avoid these fees. Too bad I'm too lazy and excited to send out a cheque.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #335 of 837
In fact the one that wins are the "authorizers" that handle the transactions. They get a very small % on each hit, but they increase the very small %, well there goes the price. The banks and Visas/MC really are not authorizing.....

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #336 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh - great question and yes it can be terminated "above" the y split.

Each side needs 2.

I know that most of you know this, but I have been flooded with these questions and hopefully this will help answer a few.

Craig

Thanks for answering. I would be glad to grab a twag replacement cable when i'm financially recovered. Or are you interested in building some cheaper cables with lesser parts? i think most of us could appreciate that and i'm definitely interested in one..

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #337 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude you must have the most "I'm done saying this, but now I'm back again to say it again" ever! Thanks for your vigilance, but I did Paypal for the convenience.

Since we're all happily sidetracking while waiting for our Protectors, I recently read a NYTimes article about how Visa is winning the battle against Mastercard by increasing the amount of extra charged. That way, more banks prefer to issue Visas, but merchants get screwed, and they passed on screwed up prices to consumers.

Since then I've been using Debit whenever possible. I'm glad that Ray gave us an option- and an incentive- to avoid these fees. Too bad I'm too lazy and excited to send out a cheque.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you will be surprised to find that debit cards incur similar fees unfortunately. I've taken to paying cash at small, locally owned business (bike shop, co-op grocer, etc). Large chains still have to eat the fee though!

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #339 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you will be surprised to find that debit cards incur similar fees unfortunately. I've taken to paying cash at small, locally owned business (bike shop, co-op grocer, etc). Large chains still have to eat the fee though!

Dang, really? Even with typing in the debit number and all?

Yikes! Cash it'll be then..

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #341 of 837
Well, let me see if I can put in my 2 cents here. I have no problem if Eddie wants to voice his opinions here, even if it is negative he should have the rights to do so. We are all adults and should be able to tolerate or accept different points of view from each other. However, at the same time, we have to be careful with our choice of words. I think "words like "its a disgrace or like fan club" is more like personal attack and always ends up ugly. If he were to say "I wish Ray could let us know the shipping time or that he has received my payment" is totally acceptable. Besides, Ray already indicated that he cannot respond to every pm or e-mail and he'll just goes on with whoever pay first. We all understand the predicament that he is under and know that's how he is conducting this sales before we went in. He is not alone in this niche business. Most of the hot new products come out in a similar fashion. Furthermore, it is not uncommon for a business to reserve the right to serve anyone as most of us can see such a sign at most restaurants or businesses. Don't you think if we go into any restaurant or businesses and start telling everyone at the business that the owner is a disgrace for not doing a,b,and c... and we will not be refuse of service? I am really sorry to see the misunderstanding here.

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #342 of 837
Reading over on the MOT thread and it looks like shipping will start tomorrow, tuesday for the Protector. I look forward to impressions.

Great news for those waiting.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #343 of 837

I received my Protector today. So that I could immediately listen to my balanced HD600 and HD650, Ray included an adapter. As of right now, the balanced HD600 and HD650 are the only headphones I have here that I can use with the Protector (in balanced mode).

Using my MacBook Pro-->Amarra-->Lavry DA11 DAC-->Cardas Clear XLR (female)-RCA adapter-->Cardas iLink mini-RCA-RCA cable-->Protector-->Sennheiser HD600 and Sennheiser HD650 (both balanced), I'm having some difficulty believing what I'm hearing.

At least where the HD600 and HD650 are concerned, this amp may dispel the commonly held (and generally true) notion that a portable headphone amp cannot drive these headphones like a good desktop amp. To my ears, with these headphones, that bridge has been crossed, and you're going to be reading similar comments from others a lot about this amp, as more and more people get their ears on it. Macro- and microdynamically, the Protector is desktop-sounding with the HD600/650--highly resolving, effortless, powerful, nuanced. (I've so far only listened to the Protector/HD600/HD650 combos in balanced mode--I'll try single-ended later.)

I listened to my JH Audio JH13 Pro and Ultimate Ears UE18 Pro with it just briefly (and single-ended only, as I have yet to order my balanced cables for those), and the initial impressions were excellent (again, just a very brief listen), and the channel balance is perfect.

Next up: Contact Whiplash Audio for Protector-terminated balanced cables for my JH13 Pro and UE18 Pro. If Moon Audio has the plugs, I may go for an HD800 cable terminated that way to see how the Protector does with the very picky HD800.

So far, this amp is sort of like a....a PortApache. And anyone who heard the balanced JH13 Pro/Apache system at RMAF will tell you how stunning that setup was. I'm hoping for some such magic done portably, when I get the JH and UE pieces wired up for balanced. We'll see, but this sounds promising so far.

I've been listening to this thing for hours--it's 4:23 a.m., I should be asleep, but I can't put it down.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #344 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my Protector today. So that I could immediately listen to my balanced HD600 and HD650, Ray included an adapter. As of right now, the balanced HD600 and HD650 are the only headphones I have here that I can use with the Protector (in balanced mode).

Using my MacBook Pro-->Amarra-->Lavry DA11 DAC-->Cardas Clear XLR (female)-RCA adapter-->Cardas iLink mini-RCA-RCA cable-->Protector-->Sennheiser HD600 and Sennheiser HD650 (both balanced), I'm having some difficulty believing what I'm hearing.

At least where the HD600 and HD650 are concerned, this amp may dispel the commonly held (and generally true) notion that a portable headphone amp cannot drive these headphones like a good desktop amp. To my ears, with these headphones, that bridge has been crossed, and you're going to be reading similar comments from others a lot about this amp, as more and more people get their ears on it. Macro- and microdynamically, the Protector is desktop-sounding with the HD600/650--highly resolving, effortless, powerful, nuanced. (I've so far only listened to the Protector/HD600/HD650 combos in balanced mode--I'll try single-ended later.)

I listened to my JH Audio JH13 Pro and Ultimate Ears UE18 Pro with it just briefly (and single-ended only, as I have yet to order my balanced cables for those), and the initial impressions were excellent (again, just a very brief listen), and the channel balance is perfect.

Next up: Contact Whiplash Audio for Protector-terminated balanced cables for my JH13 Pro and UE18 Pro. If Moon Audio has the plugs, I may go for an HD800 cable terminated that way to see how the Protector does with the very picky HD800.

So far, this amp is sort of like a....a PortApache. And anyone who heard the balanced JH13 Pro/Apache system at RMAF will tell you how stunning that setup was. I'm hoping for some such magic done portably, when I get the JH and UE pieces wired up for balanced. We'll see, but this sounds promising so far.

I've been listening to this thing for hours--it's 4:23 a.m., I should be asleep, but I can't put it down.

Great info Jude, thanks!

I should have my Protector by the end of the week, and earlier Tuesday Whiplash audio said I am up next in the queue for building my cables. Those include a 4-pin XLR adapter for full size phones, balanced TWag JH13Pro cable with SE adapter (to use it on other phones), and TWag LOD.

I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be mostly using it with my Macbook and feeding either a Pico DAC only or DACport into it as source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back