The Return of the ER-4S
Aug 17, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #106 of 176
I love the UM56s with the Etys, a perfect match. Glad I got the customs made, even though I no longer have the UM3X for them. They are perfect comfort and sound with the Etys.  I do listen to less than CDs with mine, but they still sound good to me. Have them in right now, with a Holly Cole CD via ALAC (It Happened One Night), and they sound spectacular. The bass? Deep, rich and full of impact (using iPod Touch, iBasso T3 and LOD).

Quote:
[size=10pt][size=10pt]I have stated a few posts that the critical element is the seal and I used the triple flanges but then finally made it to my audiologist for Westone (#34) custom ear molds and made the seal repeatable and even gets past the first ear bone to the drum so it's a direct path to audio heaven. Why has no one discussed this, I don't know? I use a Headroom Max amp and Musical Fidelity X-Ray V3 CD Player with great results but IC's are important to. Tyle at Headroom had the #56 molds that I waited a few years to invest in but make sealing and fit painless and perfect. Second is the front end is VERY critical and if they aren't a perfect audio match and your cup of tea then hang it up and don't go further. The ER-4S are a critical listening device and I don't even want to hear MP3/M4A Apple files with them, CD's are the furthest I will stray and never any less, they reveal everything. Third, it's not that they are bass shy but they are so accurate that you hear the strings and all just not the bloom that most are accustomed to or are expecting. They take a while with all those things above to discover that there is no lack of the audio spectrum and to really appreciate them fully. I am sure there are still ears out there that will never mate well with them to or simply are not their cup of tea for audio. They remind me of electrostatic speakers like the Stax or Magnapan planar loudspeakers which need help of a sub woofer to properly fill a room with low bass. That said they are not powerful in the low bass frequency but totally accurate, the end.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][/size] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]PS: I have found the Etys fit my Westone #56 molds and they are less “Frankensteinish” and prefer them with less bulk. They were made for my Shure Se310’s that are shorting and need replacing…..I now hate the Shures now and use the Klipsch S4’s with them at work with my iPhone/Total Bithead combo.[/size][/size]

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #107 of 176
@slaters70
Is there any difference between the um56 custom tips, and the custom tips that etymotic makes? Are the etymotic custom tips also cross compatible with westone's line?

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #108 of 176

I'm just writing to say I love my Ety's, even right now if I hold the cord just right the intermittent short will
go away and music will still come. Also giving mad props to the one who holds love for Morphine. Can I also
get some love for the Afghan Whigs? Peace.
Quote:
I think it's a certainty that ear shape and insertion depth mean different experiences, especially with BA phones that need, at least in my experience, long tips and deep insertion for me to get the full benefit. I know some folks are happy with the Ety sound using the black foam olives or short Complys, but to me, it's either the triple flanges or the UM56 customs I own (and I now use them almost exclusively with any Etys, be it the ER4S/P or the MC5s when I had them). Funny, but I also just ordered the HF2s (for a trial from Amazon, which is selling them for $111), and also am interested in the MC3 or HF3s, not sure. I want a pair to use with my iPod Touch, for skip track/pause/volume.

Anyway, I don't have large ear canals, but I do believe ear canal dimensions/shape greatly effect the Ety bass response results. What else can it be with such differing views? How many times do you see people post on Amazon, CNET or here that they get little or no bass from certain IEMs, but others hear plenty of acceptable bass. Of course, preferences play a role too, but in the end, it's a combo of insertion/tip and ear canal configuration, the latter of which no one can change (unless of course they buy custom tips).

Oh, and you mention "some recordings," and I also believe that's a critical factor. I can be listening to a track using the Etys and even though I like them, the bass sounds somewhat weak. Then, a well-mixed track comes on (for example, Buena, from Morphine's Cure for Pain CD, or the previously unreleased version of Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes from Paul Simon's Graceland CD - this one is especially amazing with the Etys), and voila, the bass line blows me away. There has to be a reason for it. It can't be the Etys only work for certain tracks. Even the vauted bass-testing track, Hotel California from the Eagles Hell Freezes Over CD, rumbles with plenty of bass via the Etys (this is with the custom sleeves, on the Touch, via the T3/LOD, no gain switches on).

It's got to be the tracks. Maybe some IEMs, mainly dynamics, cover up those sorts of mastering issues with extra doses of bass. Not sure. But I do notice the variance in bass detail and punch with Etys, depending on tracks. Same with the DBAs I own (similar sound sig).

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #109 of 176

Quote:
Trust me I tried every tip...did not work with me I guess. But for a few more dollars (or the same for used), one can own the UE10 or SE530 (maybe for a few more bucks the W3 or UM3x) and all are quite a bit better IMO of course.

Ive been down that 530 road before.  I think the 530 is to me what the ER4 is to you Mace.  
tongue_smile.gif
  I'm pretty sure i would like the 535 better at $250-$280 though.  I worry that it still has too much of that unnaturally smooth 2D character for me.  For my ears of course.  

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #110 of 176
I have the same opinion as you. While the ER4 enables the construction of the perfect sound stage, very realistic and 3D, the Shure suffer with their condensed, eveloped sound.

On the other hand, things are much better if you use the "P" to "S" converter or any other 75 ohms resistence with the Shure. The soundstage grows enough and you start to have an image of what you are listening.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
Ive been down that 530 road before.  I think the 530 is to me what the ER4 is to you Mace.  
tongue_smile.gif
  I'm pretty sure i would like the 535 better at $250-$280 though.  I worry that it still has too much of that unnaturally smooth 2D character for me.  For my ears of course.  

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #111 of 176
I believe there is a difference in design, as the Westone custom tips are not hollow, so the body of the Ety phone does not go into the tip. Check the photos of the ACS custom on the Ety site, they seem to envelope the body of the Ety somewhat. The Westones do not, as they just meet, since the UM56s have a flat bottom. I would say the ACS sleeves are more designed specifically for the Etys, so I would way the ACS customs are not compatible with most other IEMs, but there might be one or two that work, not sure.

Quote:
@slaters70
Is there any difference between the um56 custom tips, and the custom tips that etymotic makes? Are the etymotic custom tips also cross compatible with westone's line?

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #112 of 176
OK, maybe it's somewhere in this thread, but I haven't found it.
In a nutshell... what is the difference between the S and P... sonically, and why would one choose one over the other.

Thanks!

shane

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #113 of 176

Quote:
In a nutshell... what is the difference between the S and P... sonically, and why would one choose one over the other.

Thanks!

shane

P = more bass impact (though still very bass lite to my ears)
S = smoother treble with more sparkle

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #114 of 176
Aug 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #115 of 176

This might be a more useful definition, sans personal color commentary. Again, bass lite is a relative term, and really of not much value when discussing the ER lineup (particularly if you have already established they are not for you in the first place) ... even with the "to my ears" disclaimer. Oh, and nowhere does Ety say the ER4S has more "sparkle," as the 4P has an enhanced treble response by design. The 4S has a flatter response, less colored (and was the original ER4 IEM).

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4-wrfy.aspx

Quote:
P = more bass impact (though still very bass lite to my ears)
S = smoother treble with more sparkle

Quote:

Thanks!

shane

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #116 of 176
@slaters70
Thanks...

Curious... why no talk about the ER4B? Too 'bright' (their description) for 'IEMophiles'?
wink_face.gif

shane

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #118 of 176

Quote:
@slaters70
Thanks...

Curious... why no talk about the ER4B? Too 'bright' (their description) for 'IEMophiles'?
wink_face.gif

shane

Research Binaural recordings.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #119 of 176

[size=medium]
Because they are not for enjoying music with, and they don't really have a soundstage at all, but they're supposed to have a very flat frequency response which I am yet to experience. 
triportsad.gif

[/size]

Quote:
@slaters70
Thanks...

wink_face.gif

shane

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #120 of 176

Users who are viewing this thread

Back