The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Feb 13, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #3,751 of 4,220
But what about backups? And is one backup enough, or do you need a backup for the backup? I prefer the label of 'acquirer.' Yeah, that's me. 🤣
All excellent questions.... and what about offsite backups of the backup for the backup backup?

Regarding the accumulation, preservation and active enjoyment of old NOS tubes, I prefer the term 'antiquary' - which is a synonym for connoisseur and hobbyist. I'm just a humble hobbyist connoisseur of the thermionic arts.

With an insatiable a large modest thermionic appetite. :ksc75smile:

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #3,753 of 4,220
The Tube Gods would likely frown at this though - you'd probably end up in Tube Hell where you have access to all the "Holy Grail" tubes, but only provided SS amps.
.... from a different thread a while ago:
91596EFE-1F3E-4E79-912F-921A701F60D5.jpeg

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #3,754 of 4,220
All excellent questions.... and what about offsite backups of the backup for the backup ...?
You forget a critical strategy: backup decoys to distract / divert 'bcowenators' from acquiring the real deals .... 😏😏🤣🤣

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #3,755 of 4,220
That's the difference between a hoarder and a collector. A hoarder will hoard many versions of exactly the same tube, whereas a collector will try and only collect different versions of the same tube (getter, anode, etc). And some collectors are also hoarders :)
The only solution is far all of you to offload your hoards/collections to me at 1930s prices :)

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #3,756 of 4,220
That's the difference between a hoarder and a collector. A hoarder will hoard many versions of exactly the same tube, whereas a collector will try and only collect different versions of the same tube (getter, anode, etc). And some collectors are also hoarders :)
Try this: A tube collector has some intent to use the tube(s); a tube hoarder has no intent to use the tube(s). In fact, the tube hoarder prefers that others are precluded from using the tube(s). 🤷🏻‍♂️

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #3,757 of 4,220
I’ve never used the 6S5S tube- is someone able to put words to the magic?
It’s certainly unlike any driver I’ve rolled, at least in my Agatha. I would put most drivers on a scale of either dynamic / resolving to warm / musical on the opposite end of the spectrum (with a good deal landing somewhere in the middle)

The 6S5S manages to hit both ends of the continuum simultaneously. It’s one of the most resolving drivers I’ve heard, notes seem to appear out of nowhere and just fade into the distance with perfect decay like no other. There is a weight and grip to the notes other drivers can’t replicate. All while being extremely musical. It’s hauntingly realistic, like the performer is in the room with you. I hear nuances in recordings that come front and center as it brings transients to life. It’s very linear with nice articulated bass but it’s not clinical or dry in any way. Huge three dimensional stage and perfect timbre add to the sense of realism. Mids are nice and lush with sparkling (never fatiguing) highs. I can really crank the volume and never get a sense of fatigue with this driver.

The Russian 6S5S is really in a class of its own

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #3,758 of 4,220
Where might one procure a quad of these fabled perhaps unobtainium level 6S5S???:thinking:
@Wes S has vacuumed (pun intended!) up most ALL of these and left a pair or 2 of strays for @shwnwllms to inflate the myth.

Then they taunt us with the write up of the glories of said tube.
In the voice or Eric Cartman "You're breaking my Balls!" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #3,759 of 4,220
It’s certainly unlike any driver I’ve rolled, at least in my Agatha. I would put most drivers on a scale of either dynamic / resolving to warm / musical on the opposite end of the spectrum (with a good deal landing somewhere in the middle)

The 6S5S manages to hit both ends of the continuum simultaneously. It’s one of the most resolving drivers I’ve heard, notes seem to appear out of nowhere and just fade into the distance with perfect decay like no other. There is a weight and grip to the notes other drivers can’t replicate. All while being extremely musical. It’s hauntingly realistic, like the performer is in the room with you. I hear nuances in recordings that come front and center as it brings transients to life. It’s very linear with nice articulated bass but it’s not clinical or dry in any way. Huge three dimensional stage and perfect timbre add to the sense of realism. Mids are nice and lush with sparkling (never fatiguing) highs. I can really crank the volume and never get a sense of fatigue with this driver.

The Russian 6S5S is really in a class of its own
That is such a good description and I concur with it all.

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #3,760 of 4,220
I meant to post asking the same question as well. There is a current ad running on audio circle from someone going by Yuriy62 who claims to have over 40 for sale right now. Has anyone had any experience with this guy?

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #3,761 of 4,220
I meant to post asking the same question as well. There is a current ad running on audio circle from someone going by Yuriy62 who claims to have over 40 for sale right now. Has anyone had any experience with this guy?
No experience with him but isn’t that listing from 2017?

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #3,762 of 4,220
Got a small query perhaps someone could answer for me... Actually it's a couple.

Are the Ken Rad VT-94 metal the same or close sounding as the glass top, metal base VT-94D? I'd like to grab a pair of the glass, metal base ones for aesthetics over the metal tube ones, but if they are inferior then I probs won't bother.

Also, I have a pair of Tung Sol VT-94A, shouldered glass type (ST?). Are these more likely to be far superior in sound anyway to the KR-94/D?

I like what is (IMO) the graininess of the KR VT231, would these be at all similar in presentation - the VT-94D's?

Cheers

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #3,763 of 4,220
Feb 15, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #3,765 of 4,220
No experience with him but isn’t that listing from 2017?
I’m not signed up for Audio Circle but in checking back it seems current. The date showed late January 2024- here’s a screen shot. Anyone already signed up with Audio Circle?

IMG_0782.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back