The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Feb 13, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #3,737 of 4,244
-You know, one day it is all going to end up on the sidewalk!
One day… 🤪

Look on the bright side, at least you’ll know that you’ll be buried with them (might need a larger casket though)

IMG_4695.jpeg

Feb 13, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #3,739 of 4,244
More like additional caskets, along with a additional gravestones :joy:
I don’t think you need the headstones if your wife just puts the casket on the curb on collection day lol

Feb 13, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #3,740 of 4,244
I don’t think you need the headstones if your wife just puts the casket on the curb on collection day lol
The Tube Gods would likely frown at this though - you'd probably end up in Tube Hell where you have access to all the "Holy Grail" tubes, but only provided SS amps.

Feb 13, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #3,741 of 4,244
All excellent points, I’m just trying to determine if it’s worth it to go down this rabbit hole (and where exactly to start) when I’m pretty happy with my stash of 6J5/6C5 at the moment
It all depends on if you are still getting joy tube rolling for the sake of it. I'm in a bit of a lull since my audio attention is being pulled in another direction and I have a long, long list of great sounding tube combos. It isn't clear to me just how many different sounds I can expect from a given amp. My tube rolling has slowed way down ever since I started noticing very different tube combos sounding similar. Mind you, that took... 10 or 13 different input tubes and 9-10 output tubes. So it took me a while to get there.

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #3,742 of 4,244
All excellent points, I’m just trying to determine if it’s worth it to go down this rabbit hole (and where exactly to start) when I’m pretty happy with my stash of 6J5/6C5 at the moment
Suggest starting in the middle of the rabbit hole. Skip the tentative one-paw-in, one-paw-out starting point, I roll-you-P5, I roll-you-not-P5 indeterminate status.

Or... since there's not that many 6P5G/GT variants to hoard collect, start at the bottom and try to climb out, with the help of counseling. Which I'd be happy to provide - free of charge - in exchange for a stash of 6P5s. :ksc75smile:

I was/am content with my stash of Big Twins as well. Did that stop me from collecting nearly every single version of ECC40? Or amassing a small army of adorable 396As from various decades? Why am I even asking these questions? Why? 🤣

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #3,743 of 4,244
LOL! There is no universally recognized end point to hoarding collecting tubes, right? He who dies with the most tubes wins, although when that time comes the spouse will probably find the nearest dumpster to deposit them all in. 🤣
Please let me know where you live, I will pretend to be a dumpster if I have to.. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :laughing: :laughing: 🤣 🤣

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #3,744 of 4,244
Not when she finds out what they are worth. 🤣
The problem is what she thinks they're worth. Her: "Did you get some more tubes?" Me: "Oh, those? Yeah. They were only a couple dollars each." 🤣

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #3,745 of 4,244
The Tube Gods would likely frown at this though - you'd probably end up in Tube Hell where you have access to all the "Holy Grail" tubes, but only provided SS amps.
Now that's about the most accurate description of hell I've ever seen. 🤣

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #3,746 of 4,244
The problem is what she thinks they're worth. Her: "Did you get some more tubes?" Me: "Oh, those? Yeah. They were only a couple dollars each." 🤣
Lucky for me, i do not have to lie to my wife. She has never asked or showed any interest in my gear. So i will never have to tell her how much they cost :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::L3000:.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #3,747 of 4,244
Yes, same pinout as 6J5/6C5/6L5. Lower amp factor like the 76. The 6P5Gs I've rolled are sweet and balanced. Like a 76.
You can also use a 37 tube with a 76 to 6J5 adapter :)

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #3,748 of 4,244
LOL! There is no universally recognized end point to hoarding collecting tubes, right? He who dies with the most tubes wins, although when that time comes the spouse will probably find the nearest dumpster to deposit them all in. 🤣
My wife knows how to use my tube testers and which 4 photos to take of tubes before posting on eBay. The only disadvantage with sharing this knowledge with my wife is, I can no longer allow her to cook for me, and I have to watch very carefully if she offers me a drink.

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #3,749 of 4,244
Wrong! 😈 (A) Prevent current enjoyment by others of said tubes; (B) Ratchet up market value, in the meantime, of said tubes; (C) Higher market value of said tubes permits borrowing against said tubes to acquire more of said tubes. [So there you have it!! 😮🤣]
That's the difference between a hoarder and a collector. A hoarder will hoard many versions of exactly the same tube, whereas a collector will try and only collect different versions of the same tube (getter, anode, etc). And some collectors are also hoarders :)

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #3,750 of 4,244
That's the difference between a hoarder and a collector. A hoarder will hoard many versions of exactly the same tube, whereas a collector will try and only collect different versions of the same tube (getter, anode, etc). And some collectors are also hoarders :)
But what about backups? And is one backup enough, or do you need a backup for the backup? I prefer the label of 'acquirer.' Yeah, that's me. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back