The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Feb 15, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #3,766 of 4,244
It’s certainly unlike any driver I’ve rolled, at least in my Agatha. I would put most drivers on a scale of either dynamic / resolving to warm / musical on the opposite end of the spectrum (with a good deal landing somewhere in the middle)

The 6S5S manages to hit both ends of the continuum simultaneously. It’s one of the most resolving drivers I’ve heard, notes seem to appear out of nowhere and just fade into the distance with perfect decay like no other. There is a weight and grip to the notes other drivers can’t replicate. All while being extremely musical. It’s hauntingly realistic, like the performer is in the room with you. I hear nuances in recordings that come front and center as it brings transients to life. It’s very linear with nice articulated bass but it’s not clinical or dry in any way. Huge three dimensional stage and perfect timbre add to the sense of realism. Mids are nice and lush with sparkling (never fatiguing) highs. I can really crank the volume and never get a sense of fatigue with this driver.

The Russian 6S5S is really in a class of its own
I'm putting on my grumpy hat now... If you don't have any of these tubes I wouldn't sweat it. If you look across this thread, and this site, you'll see many breathless reviews of *the* tube to have. Some of them are probably by me lol. Usually it is unobtanium and/or super expensive. Or in my case they have weird voltages and bases. There are a ton of them, the Melz, TS BGRP, GEC b65, C3G, etc. etc. etc. Here's the thing, there are many tubes that are capable of giving you great sounds. The kicker is that I bet if you combine any given "grail" input tube with a grail output tube the sound may not impress.

Maybe I'm just a jaded roller... I have gotten amazing sounds out of so many tubes and tube combos. I guess I am just warning folks to avoid getting into the thought pattern of needing a specific tube for great sound or to achieve the "best" sound.

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #3,767 of 4,244
I'm putting on my grumpy hat now...
You have one of these?….

IMG_0783.jpeg

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #3,768 of 4,244
I'm putting on my grumpy hat now... If you don't have any of these tubes I wouldn't sweat it. If you look across this thread, and this site, you'll see many breathless reviews of *the* tube to have. Some of them are probably by me lol. Usually it is unobtanium and/or super expensive. Or in my case they have weird voltages and bases. There are a ton of them, the Melz, TS BGRP, GEC b65, C3G, etc. etc. etc. Here's the thing, there are many tubes that are capable of giving you great sounds. The kicker is that I bet if you combine any given "grail" input tube with a grail output tube the sound may not impress.

Maybe I'm just a jaded roller... I have gotten amazing sounds out of so many tubes and tube combos. I guess I am just warning folks to avoid getting into the thought pattern of needing a specific tube for great sound or to achieve the "best" sound.
Much wisdom that speaks here. The magic comes from synergy and not only between tubes but the whole chain. What works well for one person in his/her chain might not work at all for another.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #3,769 of 4,244
I’m not signed up for Audio Circle but in checking back it seems current. The date showed late January 2024- here’s a screen shot. Anyone already signed up with Audio Circle?

IMG_0782.png
Ahh see it now, I’m not a member there so it was pulling an old post. He’s had them listed for awhile apparently. Looks like he has more than @Wes S

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #3,770 of 4,244
WOW!!!!

More than @Wes S ?????

There IS a God in heaven!!!

I apparently am still a AC member and have sent a PM off to see if these actually exist.
Should I ask @Wes S or you what I am looking for (?) in years or construction details other than simply 4 MORE tubes that I surely don't need!!!!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #3,771 of 4,244

Most amp designers design their amps to sound good with any tube. And we ignore them and roll in expensive tubes and go looking for the rare tubes. Guilty haha.

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #3,772 of 4,244
I apparently am still a AC member and have sent a PM off to see if these actually exist.
Should I ask @Wes S or you what I am looking for (?) in years or construction details other than simply 4 MORE tubes that I surely don't need!!!!
I’d ask what version he has (earliest are on the left, from the early 50’s IIRC. Ones I have are on the right and from the 60’s)

Also ask the price and if he has matched pairs

IMG_4701.jpeg

Photo credit to @Wes S

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #3,773 of 4,244
Most amp designers design their amps to sound good with any tube. And we ignore them and roll in expensive tubes and go looking for the rare tubes. Guilty haha.
Facts. This reminds me of an art car that caught my eye (1999 BMW V12 LMR) at the BMW museum in Munich...

bmw.jpg

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #3,774 of 4,244
Feb 15, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #3,775 of 4,244
Kind of explains my luck with women. :smile:
... better hope that 'senora cowenita' doesn't read that post ... 🧟‍♀️ ... 🗡🔪 ....

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #3,776 of 4,244
There is good sound, and then there is exceptionally amazing sound that you didn't even know was possible. I know which one I go for.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #3,777 of 4,244
Where might one procure a quad of these fabled perhaps unobtainium level 6S5S???:thinking:
@Wes S has vacuumed (pun intended!) up most ALL of these and left a pair or 2 of strays for @shwnwllms to inflate the myth.

Then they taunt us with the write up of the glories of said tube.
In the voice or Eric Cartman "You're breaking my Balls!" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I messaged this eBayer in Ukraine, whom I have corresponded with before, regarding the Russian 6S5S tubes. And copied here is his reply. Looks like he can get them for those wanting to try.

eBay
impression

New message from: zvolvol (22YELLOW_STAR Star)

Hi Jeff, I found the lamps for you.
Do you only need 4 pieces?
I will test them and put them up for sale and let you know​

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #3,778 of 4,244
I messaged this eBayer in Ukraine, whom I have corresponded with before, regarding the Russian 6S5S tubes. And copied here is his reply. Looks like he can get them for those wanting to try.

eBay
impression

New message from: zvolvol (22YELLOW_STAR Star)

Hi Jeff, I found the lamps for you.
Do you only need 4 pieces?
I will test them and put them up for sale and let you know​

I’ve bought from Vlad before, great seller

Users who are viewing this thread

Back