The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Feb 13, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #3,721 of 4,244
I bought several pairs of 6P5G when I first starting using 6J5's in a Garage 1217 amp! They were good and inexpensive but nothing terribly exciting, IMO.
Some of them certainly look very cool though

IMG_4694.jpeg

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #3,722 of 4,244
Has anyone paired the 6P5 with other tubes to produce an “exciting” outcome?

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #3,723 of 4,244
Feb 13, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #3,724 of 4,244
Thanks, I was just reading up on them. I had my eye on a pair or two but the consensus on this thread seems to be the 6J5/6C5 are mainly preferred over 6P5. I can’t help but wonder if it’s due to the lower amp factor μ 13.8 (equivalent to 76) versus 6J5/6C5 μ 20 (equivalent to 6SN7)
Oh yes, the wonderful tyranny of majority preferences... because everyone hears the same. :wink:

For me, the point of tube rolling is to experience the differences among tubes in my amps - I'll be the judge of whether I enjoy a specific tube type. I can enjoy a pair of Sylvi or RCA 6P5s as much as GEC L63s dependent on mood, music and focus. There are really no bad tubes in the octal twin family - unlike the ECG 5814 family of sonic crime.

For my tastes, often a good pair of 6P5G/GTs are a more enjoyable, nuanced presentation than any of the dozens of 6C5s in my stash. I enjoy 6P5G/GT for their own merits. The 76 was one of the most linear driver tubes ever designed and I can hear that legacy in the 6P5. The lower amp factor is non-issue in my experience. The 6C5 while exciting to many, was a cost-down exercise to move some nasty pentode inventory as pretend triodes. 🤣

As with all things tube rolling, you need to hear 6P5s for yourself. All the exciting words/opinions of others on head-fi is the starting point, not the destination nor the journey.

As @bcowen states: "We must collect them all!" - Or maybe he just meant early 50s Foton 6N8Ss and his task is complete. :ksc75smile:

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #3,726 of 4,244
Oh yes, the wonderful tyranny of majority preferences... because everyone hears the same. :wink:

For me, the point of tube rolling is to experience the differences among tubes in my amps - I'll be the judge of whether I enjoy a specific tube type. I can enjoy a pair of Sylvi or RCA 6P5s as much as GEC L63s dependent on mood, music and focus. There are really no bad tubes in the octal twin family - unlike the ECG 5814 family of sonic crime.

For my tastes, often a good pair of 6P5G/GTs are a more enjoyable, nuanced presentation than any of the dozens of 6C5s in my stash. I enjoy 6P5G/GT for their own merits. The 76 was one of the most linear driver tubes ever designed and I can hear that legacy in the 6P5. The lower amp factor is non-issue in my experience. The 6C5 while exciting to many, was a cost-down exercise to move some nasty pentode inventory as pretend triodes. 🤣

As with all things tube rolling, you need to hear 6P5s for yourself. All the exciting words/opinions of others on head-fi is the starting point, not the destination nor the journey.

As @bcowen states: "We must collect them all!" - Or maybe he just meant early 50s Foton 6N8Ss and his task is complete. :ksc75smile:
All excellent points, I’m just trying to determine if it’s worth it to go down this rabbit hole (and where exactly to start) when I’m pretty happy with my stash of 6J5/6C5 at the moment

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #3,727 of 4,244

In addition to personal taste I want to point out that the sound of a tube often is amp dependent.
The same tube may not sound the same in different amps.
And the synergy with other tubes is always very important.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #3,728 of 4,244
I bought several pairs of 6P5G when I first starting using 6J5's in a Garage 1217 amp! They were good and inexpensive but nothing terribly exciting, IMO.

That was my experience as well. Couldn't compete with the better "metal can" 6J5s in my experience. Just FWIW/YMMV as always.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #3,729 of 4,244
In addition to personal taste I want to point out that the sound of a tube often is amp dependent.
The same tube may not sound the same in different amps.
And the synergy with other tubes is always very important.
Exactly, one of the reasons I was digging into the amp factor on the 6P5. Certain tubes that sounded incredible on my Pendant sound meh on my Agartha (12A*7 family). Agatha 2021 takes a 6SL7 driver, but 6SN7s and equivalent work as well. I’m hesitant to deviate much beyond that.

Interesting post from @L0rdGwyn on the lineage of 6P5 from a few years ago

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6j5-thread-l63-6c5-12j5-6p5-etc.934653/post-15722390

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #3,730 of 4,244
LOL! There is no universally recognized end point to hoarding collecting tubes, right? He who dies with the most tubes wins, although when that time comes the spouse will probably find the nearest dumpster to deposit them all in. 🤣

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #3,731 of 4,244
Feb 13, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #3,732 of 4,244
LOL! There is no universally recognized end point to hoarding collecting hoarding tubes, right?
Wrong! 😈 (A) Prevent current enjoyment by others of said tubes; (B) Ratchet up market value, in the meantime, of said tubes; (C) Higher market value of said tubes permits borrowing against said tubes to acquire more of said tubes. [So there you have it!! 😮🤣]

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #3,734 of 4,244
LOL! There is no universally recognized end point to hoarding collecting tubes, right? He who dies with the most tubes wins, although when that time comes the spouse will probably find the nearest dumpster to deposit them all in. 🤣
Not when she finds out what they are worth. 🤣

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #3,735 of 4,244
My wife asks me why I don’t sell some of the tubes I have:
-You know, one day it is all going to end up on the sidewalk!
Maybe I should show her the value of my quad of GEC 6AS7G?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back