The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
May 16, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #4,216 of 4,228
Thank you! The getters are different shapes but just assuming it's different years. They are pretty closely matched. Purchased..
The getters changed over the years from most tube manufacturers. But, seemed to follow a fairly similar pattern. Cup/saucer/flat getters first, then square/rectangle, then circle. But I don't know why...

May 19, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #4,217 of 4,228
Girlfriend found these for me at a flea market, NIB and $10 a pop, not too shabby! She likes to go antiquing, every time we go I try to find tubes and fail. The one time I didn't tag along, she found these. There were maybe 4-5 Ken-Rad 6SN7s in the box too in various states of condition, but I passed.

PXL_20240520_004049979.NIGHT-2.jpg

May 19, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #4,219 of 4,228
Girlfriend found these for me at a flea market, NIB and $10 a pop, not too shabby! She likes to go antiquing, every time we go I try to find tubes and fail. The one time I didn't tag along, she found these. There were maybe 4-5 Ken-Rad 6SN7s in the box too in various states of condition, but I passed.

PXL_20240520_004049979.NIGHT-2.jpg

Have you tried them in your Airmid yet?

May 19, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #4,220 of 4,228
Have you tried them in your Airmid yet?

Nope, not yet! Just got them this evening and working the next three days, so probably later this week. I have another pair of Ken-Rads, different base but same internals if memory serves, they're good tubes.

May 31, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #4,221 of 4,228
Seems like this thread has slowed down a little so I thought I would throw these up to see if anyone has had good,bad or ugly experiences with them. I ordered a quad of 76 ST bottle tubes and just received them- I was not expecting to see tubes from Zenith!
These guys are filthy, the boxes are old and the pins are in need of scrubbing so I won’t be listening to them for a day or two but I’m definitely looking forward to hearing these. Has anyone used this particular tube before? Any comments?

IMG_0877.jpeg

IMG_0878.jpeg

May 31, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #4,222 of 4,228
Seems like this thread has slowed down a little so I thought I would throw these up to see if anyone has had good,bad or ugly experiences with them. I ordered a quad of 76 ST bottle tubes and just received them- I was not expecting to see tubes from Zenith!
These guys are filthy, the boxes are old and the pins are in need of scrubbing so I won’t be listening to them for a day or two but I’m definitely looking forward to hearing these. Has anyone used this particular tube before? Any comments?

Looks like tungsol’s, I love their 76 and 37s, probably my favourite of the bunch that aren’t mesh globes

My TLDR for them is basically a cleaner sounding version of the BGRP 6SN7, not as vibrant but whether they sound better is all up to your own taste.

Different enough to love them all at least!

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #4,224 of 4,228
Took a chance on a pair of 6P5GT on eBay that are in their way to me, planning to use them in a Lyr3 with a 2x6J5 to 6SN7 adapter:
IMG_4370.jpeg

The base is marked with two codes, 337 and 3R17. The 337 is the Westinghouse factory code as I understand it, but I can’t find any information about the other code that looks like a date code, maybe also including a facility designation. I’ve tried to search for any documents on Westinghouse tube date codes but came up empty. Does anyone here know what the code means or where there is information about it?

May 31, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #4,225 of 4,228
Looks like tungsol’s, I love their 76 and 37s, probably my favourite of the bunch that aren’t mesh globes

My TLDR for them is basically a cleaner sounding version of the BGRP 6SN7, not as vibrant but whether they sound better is all up to your own taste.

Different enough to love them all at least!
I’ve got them all cleaned up and they are now sitting in my Lampizator with the power on for a little break in time before listening. I noticed something I hadn’t seen before on two of these tubes- a different designator marking directly beneath the “76” symbol. Two of these have “C6M” labeled in silver- the other two do not. Does anyone have an idea of what this might stand for?

May 31, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #4,226 of 4,228
I’ve got them all cleaned up and they are now sitting in my Lampizator with the power on for a little break in time before listening. I noticed something I hadn’t seen before on two of these tubes- a different designator marking directly beneath the “76” symbol. Two of these have “C6M” labeled in silver- the other two do not. Does anyone have an idea of what this might stand for?
Can't help with "C6M" but I did want to mention that if you like the 76 you ought to give the 37 a try. I like them even better.

May 31, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #4,227 of 4,228
Can't help with "C6M" but I did want to mention that if you like the 76 you ought to give the 37 a try. I like them even better.
I do intend on giving the 37’s a listen but I had already ordered too many tubes (and adapters) last week so I had to put them on the waiting list. I thought I’d start with the 76 because of its slightly higher amplification factor and another forum member had recommended them as well.
We all have to remember that I’m not using these in an amplifier but rather my dac so I’m not getting the apples to apples thing here but I am interested in hearing what you like about the 37 in your system. I’m actually going to be giving the 76’s a first listen in just a few minutes- will definitely post my impressions on how they’re working with the Lampizator.

Jun 1, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #4,228 of 4,228
...I am interested in hearing what you like about the 37 in your system...

As you said, they have even lower gain than the 76. But once I compensate for that I find the sound a little bigger and more dynamic than my 76. FYI/FTR my 76s are RCA "silver meat balls" and my 37s WWII Sylvania JANs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back