The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Dec 8, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #3,391 of 4,220
What I don't hear anyone ever say about the C3G, is that they have good grip, note weight and slamming bass. I can't live without those traits, and I get them in spades as well as detail with the 6S5S.
On Envy with ElrogTM or WE, they do, but there are things with slammier bass. This is not an issue in Tung DS phones, which make the most of good bass, and I find no deficiency in the C3g/m drivers.

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #3,393 of 4,220
I love slamming bass too but not over detail and clarity.
Someone :rolling_eyes: has managed to vacuum up all the 6S5S worldwide so we will never know..........
I think we both found our happy place, and it's time for me to bid my goodbye to this thread. Life is too short to sit and wonder about whether this tube or that tube is "better", when I have this.

1000003272.jpg

There is way too much good music that needs to be discovered, now that I have reached Nirvana. :v:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #3,395 of 4,220
Great description of how I hear C3g tubes in my system as well. I've yet to hear a tube that's as "hi-fi" sounding in terms of transparency & clarity. It feels like every last drop of detail is surfaced for your ears to pick up on. Very resolving, energetic, fast/minimal decay, which results in a supremely clean, clear, and effortless "texture" to the music.

When running them in my OTL by themselves (blue halo mode) the bass quantity is actually substantial and IMO very well-balanced with the energetic treble. If the recording calls for it, the bass is readily availble. Tracks with very low sub-bass hit as deep and as hard as I've ever heard (with both the VC and AC). That being said, I've heard some power tubes that when used with C3g, resulted in the sound being way too thin down low - making them sound too bright. One power tube I found to work very well with C3g in my amp is the Bendix 6080WB.

Not for everyone, every setup, or every mood, but definitely a special driver tube worth experiencing (assuming you can get the synergy to hit right).

Whenever I roll in C3g, this is the first song I listen to :)

I dont know many guitarists but I really like the Italian or Spanish romantic style like Jesse Cook or Fausto Mesolella. Can anyone please recommend other guitarists with the same style? Thanks!!!

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #3,397 of 4,220
I think we both found our happy place, and it's time for me to bid my goodbye to this thread. Life is too short to sit and wonder about whether this tube or that tube is "better", when I have this.

1000003272.jpg

There is way too much good music that needs to be discovered, now that I have reached Nirvana. :v:
'There' seems to be a good place to be. Congratulations.
But you can follow a thread and resist any urge to buy anything if you really are There. Just share experience and point of view. A nice thing to do. :wink:

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #3,398 of 4,220
The last thing I need is more driver tubes!
I am getting Mullard CV6 delivered Saturday and the GEC version is on the way. Unless they are off the charts great, they will go into storage with the rest of my other drivers.
Yes, chasing tubes is a disease or an addiction!!!
Mullard VR135 are excellent, the earlier red print DET20 are even better

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #3,399 of 4,220

1000003272.jpg

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave…

Dec 8, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #3,400 of 4,220
The tonal difference between a Siemens and a Lorenz C3g tube is pretty substantial. For those worried about brightness, if you start with Siemens and find things are little too bright up top there's a good chance the Lorenz version could cure that for you.

That said the Siemens being bright is pretty system dependent. You can have a full bodied sound with the Siemens, they aren't inherently "thin" sounding by any means.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #3,403 of 4,220
Compared to Siemens C3g, the old Lorenz C3g, with flat-black cans and embossed tops, are not bright at all. But unfortunately, the Lorenz are harder to find.
Thanks for mentioning the matte black embossed tops on the Lorenz. It's important to look for the matte ones if a person is looking for the more mellow sound. I had forgotten to mention that detail.

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #3,404 of 4,220

1000003272.jpg

Yeah, it’s easy to get sucked into the whole this tube/capacitor/volume control/cable/amp/etc. etc. Etc. is better and a good upgrade rat race. If it were possible to keep adding goodness to an audio system we would eventually reach a goodness singularity of pure bliss and magic. It’s not like you can keep adding more “good” to a system like you can add money to your bank account. Don’t ask why I thought of my bank account just now lol.

So yeah, enjoy and don’t worry!

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #3,405 of 4,220
As good as the 6S5S is. . . the 6S2S metal base is what I am really after, and I have a feeling that one is even better. . .

Any one heard the metal base 6S2S? It looks like this below.

6c2c-tube.jpg
Hey @Wes S - I found some of these in the stash today that I had picked up over the summer but didn't get around to trying until I saw your post. They sound very nice, esp for the price.. both with my VC and AC in BH mode and also BH+ mode paired w/ Chatham 6AS7G. Full bodied, weighty sound with some killer mid-bass punch and luscious vocals. They were a bit congested/harsh for the first half hour but have opened up and smoothed out substantially with just a few hours run time. Based on what you've described as your preferences I think you'd like 'em. I haven't tried the 6S5S yet to be able to compare. I can share the seller if you're interested in case they have more unlisted. The two pairs I have are matched 11-52 and 4-52 date codes, a little under $40/pair shipped.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back