The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Dec 7, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #3,376 of 4,244
Other than gain, the c3m and c3g are supposed to have similar impacts on the sound of an amp. I find the c3m to be utterly transparent.Things clean/clear up when I put them in. It’s almost as though there isn’t a driver tube there at all, like the output tubes have suddenly become easy to drive directly. If it’s a great recording I am amazed, if it isn’t then it’s hard to sit through. The bass is amazing but as always it will depend on your amp and output tube. I also get great results from the 5a/152m which is supposedly the STC version of the c3g. I inevitably need to use different output tubes as compared to the c3m to get the best results but with such a big difference in gain that doesn’t surprise me.
Yep I'm a big fan of C3g tubes as well. Glenn put them into my 300B amp, and I had Mischa put them into my OTL amp as an option along with 6SN7 and 6J5.

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #3,377 of 4,244
Yep I'm a big fan of C3g tubes as well. Glenn put them into my 300B amp, and I had Mischa put them into my OTL amp as an option along with 6SN7 and 6J5.
I
I’ve seen it described as the perfect driver for the 300b, as a pentode. Looking at the history and the eye popping price they cost originally I think an argument could be made that the c3m/c3o/c3g etc. was perhaps the best engineered tube. It was probably designed at the time that tube technology and engineering knowledge was at its height and apparently it was pretty much cost no object project. In any case, they are amazing tubes. I’m sure the engineers behind them never would have dreamed that people would use them just to listen to music. I’m doubly sure they wouldn’t have thought they’d be paired with an ancient tube like the 300b lol.

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #3,378 of 4,244
Sorry, I was asking about the C3g and 5A / 152M pinout.

EDIT:
It looks like they have different pinout and did not see a 5A / 152M converter.
I have C3g and I like them a lot.
I was told that the pin outs were different between the c3m and 5a/152m. I bought both adapters, what‘s one more? Lol. If I were going to choose between them I’d lean towards the 5a/152m cause I’m cheap:)

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #3,379 of 4,244
I
I’ve seen it described as the perfect driver for the 300b, as a pentode. Looking at the history and the eye popping price they cost originally I think an argument could be made that the c3m/c3o/c3g etc. was perhaps the best engineered tube. It was probably designed at the time that tube technology and engineering knowledge was at its height and apparently it was pretty much cost no object project. In any case, they are amazing tubes. I’m sure the engineers behind them never would have dreamed that people would use them just to listen to music. I’m doubly sure they wouldn’t have thought they’d be paired with an ancient tube like the 300b lol.
The C3g and variants were designed to be used in repeaters for trans-Atlantic telephone cables. As such I always thought that they were intended for clear speech reception. In my previous amps I found them a little too bright, but I haven't tried them as drivers in the Ultimate.

Another tube that seems to be very well engineered is the Telefunken LS50 and the more well known Russian clone GU50. I think the Russian version has four getters.
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/acf0073.htm
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa1539.htm

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #3,380 of 4,244
The C3g and variants were designed to be used in repeaters for trans-Atlantic telephone cables. As such I always thought that they were intended for clear speech reception. In my previous amps I found them a little too bright, but I haven't tried them as drivers in the Ultimate.

Another tube that seems to be very well engineered is the Telefunken LS50 and the more well known Russian clone GU50. I think the Russian version has four getters.
http:the best //www.r-type.org/exhib/acf0073.htm
I use quad ГУ50 on Envy as drivers. They are absolutely top tier, and quite inexpensive, even with external power and adapters needed.

They are right on the edge of what I can power with Hypsos.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #3,381 of 4,244

Matt speaks well of C3G as drivers in UltimatE and he has impeccable taste. But it would also be great to hear your thoughts as well, Mordy. Even acknowledging the excellence of the C3G tube, I would probably pass if they are bright-leaning, as I can be a bit treble sensitives at times. That and the fact that I know have more tube combinations for UltimatE than I will likely have time to try in a lifetime! :)

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #3,382 of 4,244
Matt speaks well of C3G as drivers in UltimatE and he has impeccable taste. But it would also be great to hear your thoughts as well, Mordy. Even acknowledging the excellence of the C3G tube, I would probably pass if they are bright-leaning, as I can be a bit treble sensitives at times. That and the fact that I know have more tube combinations for UltimatE than I will likely have time to try in a lifetime! :)
Yep, any time I see the word bright used by anyone, I know the tube is not for me.

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #3,383 of 4,244
Other than gain, the c3m and c3g are supposed to have similar impacts on the sound of an amp. I find the c3m to be utterly transparent.Things clean/clear up when I put them in. It’s almost as though there isn’t a driver tube there at all, like the output tubes have suddenly become easy to drive directly. If it’s a great recording I am amazed, if it isn’t then it’s hard to sit through. The bass is amazing but as always it will depend on your amp and output tube. I also get great results from the 5a/152m which is supposedly the STC version of the c3g. I inevitably need to use different output tubes as compared to the c3m to get the best results but with such a big difference in gain that doesn’t surprise me.
Great description of how I hear C3g tubes in my system as well. I've yet to hear a tube that's as "hi-fi" sounding in terms of transparency & clarity. It feels like every last drop of detail is surfaced for your ears to pick up on. Very resolving, energetic, fast/minimal decay, which results in a supremely clean, clear, and effortless "texture" to the music.

When running them in my OTL by themselves (blue halo mode) the bass quantity is actually substantial and IMO very well-balanced with the energetic treble. If the recording calls for it, the bass is readily availble. Tracks with very low sub-bass hit as deep and as hard as I've ever heard (with both the VC and AC). That being said, I've heard some power tubes that when used with C3g, resulted in the sound being way too thin down low - making them sound too bright. One power tube I found to work very well with C3g in my amp is the Bendix 6080WB.

Not for everyone, every setup, or every mood, but definitely a special driver tube worth experiencing (assuming you can get the synergy to hit right).

Whenever I roll in C3g, this is the first song I listen to :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #3,384 of 4,244
Great description of how I hear C3g tubes in my system as well. I've yet to hear a tube that's as "hi-fi" sounding in terms of transparency & clarity. It feels like every last drop of detail is surfaced for your ears to pick up on. Very resolving, energetic, fast/minimal decay, which results in a supremely clean, clear, and effortless "texture" to the music.

When running them in my OTL by themselves (blue halo mode) the bass quantity is actually substantial and IMO very well-balanced with the energetic treble. If the recording calls for it, the bass is readily availble. Tracks with very low sub-bass hit as deep and as hard as I've ever heard (with both the VC and AC). That being said, I've heard some power tubes that were way too thin down low which makes them come off as too bright. One power tube I found to work very well with C3g in my amp is the Bendix 6080WB.

Not for everyone, every setup, or every mood, but definitely a special driver tube worth experiencing (assuming you can get the synergy to hit right).

Whenever I roll in C3g, this is the first song I listen to :)
wow that album is amazing , especially the 2nd track

WOW that album is truly amazing , especially the 2nd track, cheers :gs1000smile:

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #3,385 of 4,244

I have a quad of GU50 that have been sitting in my rolling queue for a long time. I’ll get to them at some point. I wonder if being matched up with the c3m will be too much of a good thing.

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #3,386 of 4,244
That being said, I've heard some power tubes that were way too thin down low which makes them come off as too bright.
Very interesting, I had not thought of that. To me they, in the Siemens made version, have a brightish tilt. Genuine Lorenz not so. But I haven't found bass lacking in the power tubes used. Might be due to that acoustical music is my priority. Or something else. I will keep this input in mind.

Dec 8, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #3,387 of 4,244
Yep, any time I see the word bright used by anyone, I know the tube is not for me.

C3g in Ultimate is not bright when used with the power tubes that I used and I've rolled in the good power tubes with it - Tung Sol 6550, Philips Miniwatt EL34 metal base, GEC KT66, Telefunken EL156, etc. Heck it's not even bright with the Grado GH1 that I tried.

I think it's dependant on the amp it is used in and with the power tubes.

C3g is much much brighter on my previous GOTL.

On Ultimate, I could even use c3g in both the drivers and power tube slots. Got to try c3g driving c3g. It's an experience but I am having a blast now with KT88.

Dec 8, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #3,388 of 4,244
C3g is special with Philips Miniwatt EL34 double 'D' getters brown base. A treat for the ears. The Mullard ECC35 has to stand aside. :wink: You get all the details and clarity plus the lovely tone of a good NOS EL34.

IMG_8142.jpg

Dec 8, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #3,389 of 4,244
I am a big fan of the C3G and it is wonderful at clarity and detail but, to my ears, not bright. I am sensitive to a glassy, sibilant sound and this is not what I hear using the C3G paired with the Elrog 300B in the Envy. You already have Elrogs and at some point you will try these gems! (you resisted the G73-r for a long time!) The only downside of the C3G is no tube glow and I am not removing the metal can............:slight_frown:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #3,390 of 4,244
I am a big fan of the C3G and it is wonderful at clarity and detail but, to my ears, not bright. I am sensitive to a glassy, sibilant sound and this is not what I hear using the C3G paired with the Elrog 300B in the Envy. You already have Elrogs and at some point you will try these gems! (you resisted the G73-r for a long time!) The only downside of the C3G is no tube glow and I am not removing the metal can............:slight_frown:
What I don't hear anyone ever say about the C3G, is that they have good grip, note weight and slamming bass. I can't live without those traits, and I get them in spades as well as detail with the 6S5S.

I have learned a lot since the G73R days, and back in the day with my Pendant SE, they were it. However, I have learned you can get all that detail, as well as note weight and grip with bigger bottled tubes. I am sure the C3G are very impressive, but I have a feeling they lack soul and weight like what I have now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back