The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Dec 7, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #3,361 of 4,244
You are a madman @Wes S!! :) Congrats on the epic haul. Those must be quite amazing with your setup!

I'm currently enamored with these oddball Fivre 12J7GT. Classy presentation, sonic bliss. This is perfection to my ears:
1.jpg
Those Fivre look killer! I love the Fivre "house sound".

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #3,362 of 4,244
As good as the 6S5S is. . . the 6S2S metal base is what I am really after, and I have a feeling that one is even better. . .

Any one heard the metal base 6S2S? It looks like this below.

6c2c-tube.jpg
Dang, I just did a quick check on eBay (I'm sure you're well past shopping with us dreck on the 'bay) and 6s2s of any kind are nearly gone. I had bought a quad of black base welded plates just a couple months ago, but 2 of them didn't light up. I was going to get some more, but now...

It really is act now or miss out with a lot of these tubes :frowning2:

Good luck with your search! Those must be a really old version judging by the glass.

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #3,363 of 4,244
You are a madman @Wes S!! :) Congrats on the epic haul. Those must be quite amazing with your setup!

I'm currently enamored with these oddball Fivre 12J7GT. Classy presentation, sonic bliss. This is perfection to my ears:
1.jpg
Yup, the Fivre 12j7 wired as a triode has become one of my go-to driver tubes. They also look great and were cheap.

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #3,365 of 4,244
As good as the 6S5S is. . . the 6S2S metal base is what I am really after, and I have a feeling that one is even better. . .

There could be a BIG 'End of the year 6S5S Clearance sale' in the works if Wes gets a stash of those 6S2S!!!!!

@Wes S, have you tried the Siemens C3G?

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #3,366 of 4,244
You definitely know my habits. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

20231201_082043.jpg

I still need to have them tested, so not sure how many are actually good, but I like my chances as far as having a backup or two.
I admire your style Wes!:beerchug:

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #3,367 of 4,244
There could be a BIG 'End of the year 6S5S Clearance sale' in the works if Wes gets a stash of those 6S2S!!!!!

@Wes S, have you tried the Siemens C3G?
LOL! You just might be right with that one.

I haven't tried the C3G yet, but I have been looking at them and almost bought some the other day. That being said, I am not totally sure they are my kind of sound, so I have been a little reluctant to give them a try.

Do the C3G have weight and impact down low, or are they all about transparency and detail up top?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #3,368 of 4,244

6c2c-tube.jpg
Bought a quad of the 6S2S tubes recently and one was with the metal base. Using a pair with one metal base and one black base I could not hear a difference. On the other hand you may have to compare equal pairs for the right impression.
I think g0ldl10n has a pair of metal base.
These tubes has an interesting bulging glass envelope.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #3,369 of 4,244

I haven't tried the C3G yet, but I have been looking at them and almost bought some the other day. That being said, I am not totally sure they are my kind of sound, so I have been a little reluctant to give them a try.

Do the C3G have weight and impact down low, or are they all about transparency and detail up top?
I go between the C3G and G73-R in the Envy. The C3G are not bass monsters but you mentioned that you were now more focused on the top end. You are great at hunting and collecting (Exibit A, 6S5S) but you also sell off tubes when displaced by something you find better. I just put them in a tote and I do need to sell a ton of tubes!!!!

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #3,370 of 4,244
You definitely know my habits. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

20231201_082043.jpg

I still need to have them tested, so not sure how many are actually good, but I like my chances as far as having a backup or two.
Happy to test a bunch on my Amplitrex for you over Xmas if you want? And, yes I might try a pair in my amps to see how they sound (as long as they test well). I'm an open minded guy, and just because I've had bad experiences with Russian tubes in the past, doesn't mean to say there aren't good ones out there. Feel free to PM me.

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #3,371 of 4,244
Happy to test a bunch on my Amplitrex for you over Xmas if you want? And, yes I might try a pair in my amps to see how they sound (as long as they test well). I'm an open minded guy, and just because I've had bad experiences with Russian tubes in the past, doesn't mean to say there aren't good ones out there. Feel free to PM me.
Send them to you? Does this mean your mobile tube testing service is no longer on the road? Bummer. 🤣

Westside-Mobile-Tube-Tester.jpg

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #3,372 of 4,244

Other than gain, the c3m and c3g are supposed to have similar impacts on the sound of an amp. I find the c3m to be utterly transparent.Things clean/clear up when I put them in. It’s almost as though there isn’t a driver tube there at all, like the output tubes have suddenly become easy to drive directly. If it’s a great recording I am amazed, if it isn’t then it’s hard to sit through. The bass is amazing but as always it will depend on your amp and output tube. I also get great results from the 5a/152m which is supposedly the STC version of the c3g. I inevitably need to use different output tubes as compared to the c3m to get the best results but with such a big difference in gain that doesn’t surprise me.

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #3,375 of 4,244
Sorry, I was asking about the C3g and 5A / 152M pinout.

EDIT:
It looks like they have different pinout and did not see a 5A / 152M converter.
I have C3g and I like them a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back