The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Dec 15, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #3,407 of 4,244
Compared to Siemens C3g, the old Lorenz C3g, with flat-black cans and embossed tops, are not bright at all. But unfortunately, the Lorenz are harder to find.

That is the way I see those C3g tubes as well, the flat black Lorenz are not at all bright and much harder to get than the Siemens.
The C3g tubes are about as transparent as any tube I have tried.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #3,408 of 4,244
That is the way I see those C3g tubes as well, the flat black Lorenz are not at all bright and much harder to get than the Siemens.
The C3g tubes are about as transparent as any tube I have tried.
The 5a/152m is another tube in that family that is worth checking out. Need a different adapter though.

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #3,409 of 4,244
The 5a/152m is another tube in that family that is worth checking out. Need a different adapter though.
No. Those are horrible and no one should buy them…

Just kidding. They are really great. They actually work with the Mrs X C3m/g adapter, but have a hum very audible with sensitive headphones. Almost a non issue with Tungsten DS. I’m sure it is because the adapter is not quite right. @Deyan had a suggestion as to why they might work in the Mrs X adapter, but without the adapter in hand, he could not commit, so I won’t share that here. He said his adapters should not work for it, and I have a perfect pair of the correct152/5a adapters on order from @Deyan now.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #3,410 of 4,244
Hey @Wes S - I found some of these in the stash today that I had picked up over the summer but didn't get around to trying until I saw your post. They sound very nice, esp for the price.. both with my VC and AC in BH mode and also BH+ mode paired w/ Chatham 6AS7G. Full bodied, weighty sound with some killer mid-bass punch and luscious vocals. They were a bit congested/harsh for the first half hour but have opened up and smoothed out substantially with just a few hours run time. Based on what you've described as your preferences I think you'd like 'em. I haven't tried the 6S5S yet to be able to compare. I can share the seller if you're interested in case they have more unlisted. The two pairs I have are matched 11-52 and 4-52 date codes, a little under $40/pair shipped.

1.jpg
2.jpg
@raindownthunda
I can’t seem to find any info on the 6S5S you’ve shown- who made this tube?

Dec 16, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #3,411 of 4,244
@raindownthunda
I can’t seem to find any info on the 6S5S you’ve shown- who made this tube?
These are 6S2S / 6C2C tubes (6J5GT equivalents). The ones I posted are metal base versions from the early 50's ('52-'54 I believe). There are also plastic base versions that seem to be from the 60's-70's. I haven't tried that version, but I think there people on here who have tried both. I believe they were made from the NOVOSIBIRSK factory.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6s2s.html
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/6j5gt-6c2c-ussr-nos-boxed-valve-tube/

Dec 16, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #3,412 of 4,244
Black base 6s2s.

IMG_7589.jpeg

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #3,417 of 4,244
Compared to top tier 6J5G are these a giant killer or just another so-so decent Russian tube??
Personally I don't think they dethrone my S-tier reference tubes (M-OV L63, RT 6C5V, Fivre 6J5GT "black plate", Tungsram CV1932). More listening to do, but I'd place them either A-tier or B-tier at the moment. Great value when you consider that all of the aforementioned tubes cost 3x as much. Heavier on the bass with a little less clarity, but overall fun sound. I've only tried the metal base version so don't know if the black base / later production sound the same.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #3,418 of 4,244
Personally I don't think they dethrone my S-tier reference tubes (M-OV L63, RT 6C5V, Fivre 6J5GT "black plate", Tungsram CV1932). More listening to do, but I'd place them either A-tier or B-tier at the moment. Great value when you consider that all of the aforementioned tubes cost 3x as much. Heavier on the bass with a little less clarity, but overall fun sound. I've only tried the metal base version so don't know if the black base / later production sound the same.
Personally I don't think that the metal base of the Russian 6C2C sounds different than the black base and different years sound consistently the same.
Tried a number of US made 6J5GT tubes and found the National Union with the getter flash on top to be among the best sounding (there are several different versions of the NU 6J5GT).
1702927469256.png

If you know what to look for you can get a much better price looking for rebranded NU tubes.
1702927736832.png

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #3,419 of 4,244
Personally I don't think that the metal base of the Russian 6C2C sounds different than the black base and different years sound consistently the same.
Tried a number of US made 6J5GT tubes and found the National Union with the getter flash on top to be among the best sounding (there are several different versions of the NU 6J5GT).

If you know what to look for you can get a much better price looking for rebranded NU tubes.
Good call @mordy. I think these and the Tung-Sol 6J5G/GT are my favorite American tubes. I only have the NU 12V version but they look to have similar construction to the ones you shared. They are sublime. BTW this seller says they have more pairs ($10/pair!) if anyone is looking for these and can run 12V tubes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266470162970

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #3,420 of 4,244
Good call @mordy. I think these and the Tung-Sol 6J5G/GT are my favorite American tubes. I only have the NU 12V version but they look to have similar construction to the ones you shared. They are sublime. BTW this seller says they have more pairs ($10/pair!) if anyone is looking for these and can run 12V tubes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266470162970
I have both these and the Tungsol 12j5wgt and remember liking them a lot. They are the ones that convinced me to go down this single triode journey. Haven't listened to them in a long time though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back