The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
May 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #376 of 458
Even at $106, which is what I paid for my WS55's, they're worth every penny.
L3000.gif

May 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #382 of 458
Quote:

Oh yea the HDJ500.. Anyone that loves Trance.. Gotta get these only to experience Trance the way it should be played. I have to admit the WS55 does all EDM just fine but the HDJ500 for Trance is an experience.

How is the bass on the HDJ500 compared with the HDJ2000?

I like the bass on the 2000s, but I find the overall sound quality comparable with the Denon DJ HP700, a can that costs about 1/3 of the price. If Pioneer would drop the pricetag on the HDJ2000, I'm sure it'll sell well - bass extension is pretty good, impact is plentiful, and its durable and pretty as heck.

May 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #383 of 458
Quote:

How is the bass on the HDJ500 compared with the HDJ2000?

I like the bass on the 2000s, but I find the overall sound quality comparable with the Denon DJ HP700, a can that costs about 1/3 of the price. If Pioneer would drop the pricetag on the HDJ2000, I'm sure it'll sell well - bass extension is pretty good, impact is plentiful, and its durable and pretty as heck.

Don't own the HDJ2000 but the word is sound tuning is very similar.. These HDJ500 are lesser refined versions obviously but the sound is still very much worth the cash to spend on them.. I also own the HP700s. Very nice cans.

May 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #384 of 458
Quote:
Don't own the HDJ2000 but the word is sound tuning is very similar.. These HDJ500 are lesser refined versions obviously but the sound is still very much worth the cash to spend on them.. I also own the HP700s. Very nice cans.

Ah, I see. In that case, I'll audition the HDJ500s to get a sample of its bass prowess.

Yup, the HP700 is a really good can for its pricetag. When I did an A/B with the HDJ2000, the Denons surprisingly kept pace with the pricier model in detail, clarity and bass extension. Amazing! :)

May 26, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #385 of 458
Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Paid the full RRP of £69.99 as well which is kinda annoying but I traded some games in to buy it so it's ok. 

Early impressions? Best/most exciting headphone I have tried, full stop. Even more than the Grado's. The bass is addictive, never heard anything like it. Not boomy, and doesn't bleed at all. Beats both the HTF600 and DT770's in both quality and impact. Like DSnuts said, it stays completely out of the way when it isn't called for. 

The mids are fantastic. My music is mostly the mainstream compressed type so the beyers should've highlighted everything there is to hear in my music, but for the first time I can actually say I'm hearing things I didn't notice before. I'm not talking about artists breathing or things like that, I'm talking about actual parts of the music that were buried in the background or undefined. It somehow manages to separate parts of the track and make it sound clear without loosing it's musicality. 

Vocals sound fantastic. Airy vocals in a closed back portable headphone? What? Sounds impossible but that's what I'm hearing, and what I've been searching for. Maybe it's due to some coloration in the treble, but whatever it is it works. Best vocals I have heard. Beats the grado 225i's in this department as they aren't as harsh or forward. 

This headphone (so far) sounds absolutely amazing. It's bringing every song I've thrown at it to life. Only problem is comfort. I will try stretching them to see if it helps but that's the only problem I have with it at the moment. That and the cable isn't too my liking. A bit too thin and has a lot of memory. 

Like I said it's early impressions but I can say for sure these destroy the CAL's hands down. More detail, less bass quantity but better quality (i.e not boomy like CAL's) and more impact, much much better vocals, much better soundstage and comfort is better as well (Couldn't wear the CAL's for more than 20 mins). Build quality is a lot better as well. 

May 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #387 of 458
Quote:
So I just got my WS55 and I love them!! Really solid build quality. 
I tried them on and I have no idea what people are talking about I have zero comfort issues and the clamp force is not an issue. only wore for a hour though

this almost entirely depends on the size and shape of your ears.  Some it will fit great, some will have issues.  Once I stuffed the pads I can get better comfort.  I put some ethernet cable between the pad and the cup to put a little more distance between the driver and my ear.  if I do it right I can get my entire ear in the pad now and the driver doesn't make contact with my cartilage.  It is truly a compact circumaural for me now.

May 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #388 of 458
I am looking to get some for my Dad, and after seeing this review I am sold, I thought Dsnuts was good at describing sound but oh boy this guy is unreal watch from 10:00! He had me cracking up!

May 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #390 of 458
"I would pay full MSRP...I dont care!"  

Ive just got to remember to not damage them purposly though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back