The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
May 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #361 of 458
I have both.  I like the sound of the WS55 much better but I wasnt a big fan of the HTF-600.  I don't think the bass is in the same class at all.  I have to say the panny is more comfortable though.  I don't have an issue with the WS55 really, but they are noticeable on your ears. 

May 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #362 of 458
Quote:
Dsnuts I am wandering If these will be a worthy upgrade over the HTF-600  pannys I trust your judgement I just rather not shell out 80$ unless I am sure I am going to love them. I do love bass and I am reading very nice reviews just need to be sure =). and how are they comfort wise?

Well there are some plus and minuses with the WS55 vs the HTF600. The WS55 are more portable sized meaning they aren't full sized like the HTF600 and depending on your ear size these can be either on ear or over the ear. Mostly on them so the comfort level is not quite the HTF600. These do have an initial clamp but loosens up quickly and fits snug. These are more for traveling and being out doors and such and have a really strong build and above average isolation as they fit snug onto your head. No sound leakage.  Sound wise these are great sounding portable headphones but are they really an upgrade to the HTF600 in sound.? In some areas yes the mids,Highs are a bit more accurate as well but overall the sound on these would be more of a side grade than a true upgrade in sound vs the HTF600..These are worth the $80 or so to own them for sure but if you are budget minded listener there are some interesting choices now..

Icipio NX-100 looks like a rebrand of the Brainwaves HM3. Both are supposed to sound good for the cash.   $30-$50 I would save up some cash and get yourself a nice upgrade later on. A nice Denon or a Beyer if your looking more for a full sized can upgrade to the HTF600.. But if you want to have a smaller isolating well built headphone on the go the WS55 are fantastic.

May 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #363 of 458
Quote:
Well there are some plus and minuses with the WS55 vs the HTF600. The WS55 are more portable sized meaning they aren't full sized like the HTF600 and depending on your ear size these can be either on ear or over the ear. Mostly on them so the comfort level is not quite the HTF600. These do have an initial clamp but loosens up quickly and fits snug. These are more for traveling and being out doors and such and have a really strong build and above average isolation as they fit snug onto your head. No sound leakage.  Sound wise these are great sounding portable headphones but are they really an upgrade to the HTF600 in sound.? In some areas yes the mids,Highs are a bit more accurate as well but overall the sound on these would be more of a side grade than a true upgrade in sound vs the HTF600..These are worth the $80 or so to own them for sure but if you are budget minded listener there are some interesting choices now..

Icipio NX-100 looks like a rebrand of the Brainwaves HM3. Both are supposed to sound good for the cash.   $30-$50 I would save up some cash and get yourself a nice upgrade later on. A nice Denon or a Beyer if your looking more for a full sized can upgrade to the HTF600.. But if you want to have a smaller isolating well built headphone on the go the WS55 are fantastic.

I already tried the Hm3. I ended up returning it. Not because of the sound , but because of the comfort.  WS55 would be upgrading my Monoprice 8323(Or kicker clones) I use those more for portable use was just wandering if they were better than the htf 600 as well.

May 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #364 of 458
You know as well as I do how great the HTF600 sound. So sound wise I will say these are more of a side grade, a bit better accuracy and balanced over the HTF600 but, isolation, portability and build. Yes these are an upgrade. Now the only part I am concerned about for you is the comfort. I stretched these over some books over night and that did the trick for me. These will loosen up quite a bit from initial clamp. SO if your willing to throw these on some books to have them loosen up.. Give them a go. These are my favorite portable cans even over much more expensive ones. You can certainly get them from Amazon and try them out. No harm if they aren't to your liking. Sound wise these are awesome. You can send them packing if they aren't for you.

May 20, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #366 of 458
Quote:
When there is a lot of bass in your music the ws55 are awesome and the comfort after 1 day is also good and can wear them for hours without hurting....

Yeah, I don't really have any problems using the WS55 for a long stretch. I have used it for 2 hours without feeling cramped. I guess it depends on what you're coming from. My favorite pair of cans are the PRO700MK2. They have an insane clamp which really makes it quite fatiguing to use. Of course, if you're coming from something like an XB500, then most cans will be quite uncomfortable. :wink:

May 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #367 of 458
Quote:

The PRO700MK2 has greater bass quantity and impact than the PRO500MK2s. But that's not to say the latter are bad - they are not. They are certainly extremely bassy, and compare well with the TMA-1 in sheer bass quantity. Both PRO500/700 models are nothing but basshead cans, so you shouldn't look their way if you're planning to listen to other types of music other than bass-heavy tracks.

One good thing about the PRO500MK2 is the reduced clamping force. The PRO700 is insanely tight and can be very uncomfortable for extended listening sessions.

oh i love clamping force:D 

May 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #369 of 458
Has anyone tried the ws70 and compared them to the ws55? Is there any chance of AT releasing a ws77 or ws99 anytime soon? Id love a fullsize comfortable ws55

May 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #370 of 458
Quote:
Has anyone tried the ws70 and compared them to the ws55? Is there any chance of AT releasing a ws77 or ws99 anytime soon? Id love a fullsize comfortable ws55

The reason why there is not a WS77 or a WS99. .Because they made their solid bass headphone with the WS55. Kinda like how they made the CKS77 and not a CKS99.  I am certain AT is happy with what they achieved with the revised solid bass headphone from the WS70. The WS55 is an improved version of the older WS50, 70  headphones.

May 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #371 of 458
Quote:
The reason why there is not a WS77 or a WS99. .Because they made their solid bass headphone with the WS55. Kinda like how they made the CKS77 and not a CKS99.  I am certain AT is happy with what they achieved with the revised solid bass headphone from the WS70. The WS55 is an improved version of the older WS50, 70  headphones.

I can't see why they wouldn't use this technology in a fullsized can though. I've never heard a headphone pull of bass like this one. The headphone is very special. I heard absolutely no bass bleed at all. In fact I heard some air around the vocals which it kinda weird. I thought airy forward vocals and very strong bass couldn't go hand in hand. Seriously AT should release a full sized can with this awesome technology.

May 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #372 of 458
Quote:
I can't see why they wouldn't use this technology in a fullsized can though. I've never heard a headphone pull of bass like this one. The headphone is very special. I heard absolutely no bass bleed at all. In fact I heard some air around the vocals which it kinda weird. I thought airy forward vocals and very strong bass couldn't go hand in hand. Seriously AT should release a full sized can with this awesome technology.

"Airy vocals" is exactly my impression as well. To be honest, I wasn't that blown away by the bass at first. I still prefer my 1964-Quads, but of course they're custom IEMs, and you get what you pay for.

But now that I've worn the WS55s for three weeks, slowly burning them in, I've really come to appreciate the bass -- which is very well done -- and now especially the air around the highs. They remind me a bit of a CK10 with more prominent bass.

May 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #373 of 458
So I just got my WS55 and I love them!! Really solid build quality. 
I tried them on and I have no idea what people are talking about I have zero comfort issues and the clamp force is not an issue. only wore for a hour though

The sound right out of the box is pretty amazing! This bass is clean mids and highs sound bomb! Lots of detail just like my HTF600 except this sound alot cleaner and the bass doesn;t mess with the mids or highs. Overall I think this is a steal for 80$

If they get even better with burn in this will be my new favorite by far.

Burning them in right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back