The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
May 1, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #331 of 458
Ok, yet again I have another question about these. Do they sound at all like the SJ series? I have the SJ-55 and I was really disappointed with it as they sound so veiled and there's practically no separation. They are the only AT's I have so I'm really hoping the WS55 don't sound at all like them.

May 1, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #333 of 458
Code:
Hey Dsnuts, guess what was on my doorstep today. After the initial shock of next day service I plugged em in and lo and behold another shock. This is everything I was hoping it would be and then some more. Your review is spot on. Super comfy, great passive isolation, airy like treble, excellent bass, haven't got to mids yet but so far outstanding. My favorite closed portable before today was the Klipsch Image ones cause they could sound powerful without an amp. These 55's do it better! And this is directly out of my iPhone. Gotta see what these will do with some power. now to get the black pair with iPhone controls. Haha

Dsnuts, thanks for sharing your valuable insight on these awesome headphones. I had to order the CKS77s as well! But I know it will be well worth it.

May 1, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #334 of 458
Quote:
Code:
Code:
Hey Dsnuts, guess what was on my doorstep today. After the initial shock of next day service I plugged em in and lo and behold another shock. This is everything I was hoping it would be and then some more. Super comfy, great passive isolation, airy like treble, excellent bass, haven't got to mids yet but so far outstanding. My favorite portable before today was the Klipsch Image ones cause they could sound powerful without an amp. These 55's do it better! And this is directly out of my iPhone. Gotta see what these will do with some power.
Dsnuts, thanks for sharing your valuable insight on these awesome headphones. I had to order the CKS77s as well! But I know it will be well worth it.

Oh nice.. Glad you like them.  See, I won't stir you guys wrong. That ain't in my nature. Lol. Give them a proper burn and they will sound even better..Prepared to be surprised again with the CKS77. 

If you are liking what your are hearing the CKS77 is gonna throw this sound into overdrive. Happy listening my friend and get them on the burn.

May 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #335 of 458
Sounds like a good review. Gonna audition these again tomorrow. Might actually pick it up if they've dropped the price otherwise I'll wait for a good deal to come along. Cnet show their ignorance in some places for example

The headphone lacks anyiPhone controls or a mic, which might be a deal breaker for some buyers

rolleyes.gif

P.S Anybody tried putting on other earpads like the senn HD25 or the Esw9's? 

May 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #336 of 458
Sounds like a good review. Gonna audition these again tomorrow. Might actually pick it up if they've dropped the price otherwise I'll wait for a good deal to come along. Cnet show their ignorance in some places for example

:rolleyes:

P.S Anybody tried putting on other earpads like the senn HD25 or the Esw9's? 
I have Hd 25 pads on my K518s and they are a full 1/2 smaller in diameter compared to the 55's. The 55s are like my ol 518s but all grown up.

May 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #337 of 458
Sound seperation on the ws55 is very good and another thing is that good headphones sound worse with like 64 or 128 kbps mp3's then with bad headphone,listened to a very bad mp3 from a dude i know on a smartphone and my god it sounded crap just like my headphone was broke or just very bad then i put some tracks from myself in 320 kbps on it and man what a difference so maybe that was his problem LOL....
beyersmile.png

May 2, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #338 of 458
Quote:
Sound seperation on the ws55 is very good and another thing is that good headphones sound worse with like 64 or 128 kbps mp3's then with bad headphone,listened to a very bad mp3 from a dude i know on a smartphone and my god it sounded crap just like my headphone was broke or just very bad then i put some tracks from myself in 320 kbps on it and man what a difference so maybe that was his problem LOL....
beyersmile.png

Absolutely agree with you on this. I have too many 128 kbps tracks (It's just too much trouble to convert my entire collection to 320 -- plus I only have 64 GB on my iPod) and they really do sound thin and reedy. 

320 electronic, dubstep, drum and bass, etc sounds awesome, though :) especially now that I've used the beasts for more than 20 hours.

May 3, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #339 of 458
You just have to download music in 320 kbps and not convert 128 to 320 that makes no sense to me and it's not really 320 afterwards off course but still poor quality i know sites where you can dowload free music in 320 and flac so will pm you if you want some links.....grtzz

May 5, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #341 of 458
Quote:
The A900X uses Double air dampening and the bass while not basshead levels is very solid on these.  The A900X added more bass to the older A900. And I am guessing much more bass from the AD900.

A full sized version would be nice but these A900X is about the closest much more refined over the WS55 however. The good news is they can be bought for around $230 now a days. Much cheaper than when I bought mine.

I am gonna guess that these sound better than the Pro700Mk2s. But these are more portable about the same size as the WS55. Pro500Mk2.

0o you mean the pro500mkii sounds better than the pro700s? 

l

May 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #343 of 458
Quote:
0o you mean the pro500mkii sounds better than the pro700s? 

l

The PRO700MK2 has greater bass quantity and impact than the PRO500MK2s. But that's not to say the latter are bad - they are not. They are certainly extremely bassy, and compare well with the TMA-1 in sheer bass quantity. Both PRO500/700 models are nothing but basshead cans, so you shouldn't look their way if you're planning to listen to other types of music other than bass-heavy tracks.

One good thing about the PRO500MK2 is the reduced clamping force. The PRO700 is insanely tight and can be very uncomfortable for extended listening sessions.

May 10, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #344 of 458
Anyway, I've just purchased a set of the WS55s. I auditioned them along with the PRO500MK2s (a second time), and found their bass to be rather tight, punchy and controlled. I'll post more impressions when I get them out of the box.

They sure are pretty little cans, though. :)

May 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #345 of 458
Quote:
Anybody looking for a nice used WS55.. Rare to see a used one and for a good price. http://www.head-fi.org/t/608879/audio-technica-ws55-ath-ws55

I just finalized this purchase.  my patience seems to have paid off.  can't wait to get these puppies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back