The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
Apr 4, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #286 of 458

Quote:
If I listen to them without any EQ, I find them to be very accurate, with rock, pop, singer-songrwriter, etc.. If there is bass in the song, they will produce it, but they do not overemphasize it,. and it does not in any way creep up on the mids or highs. If I put on some trance music though, there's abundant bass.

So basically, all round performance is still good in less-bass genres (except maybe in trance music)?
Since in the recommendation thread, someone else recommended me to go for the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones for better SQ.
For now, I leaning towards ordering the ATH-WS55. I'd have liked to get the 55i's but they're quite more expensive than the regular edition :frowning2:.
Both the CAL! and WS55 have the same price too. I hate these decisions >_<!

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #287 of 458

Quote:
So basically, all round performance is still good in less-bass genres (except maybe in trance music)?
Since in the recommendation thread, someone else recommended me to go for the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones for better SQ.
For now, I leaning towards ordering the ATH-WS55. I'd have liked to get the 55i's but they're quite more expensive than the regular edition :frowning2:.
Both the CAL! and WS55 have the same price too. I hate these decisions >_<!

Well, trance music has a lot of bass...but yes, the WS55 work just fine for non-bass heavy music. I even enjoyed them watching a movie the other day.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #290 of 458
Ok demo'd the ws55 today (for like the 5th time) but this time I have more experience of different headphones and I had just listened to the AT a700x, and grado sr80. Even listened to some D2000's. Gotta say these are by far the best headphones I had heard today. The bass is IMMENSE! Unlike the beats that were next to it, it had the quality and texture to go with it. But the main thing that struck out to me even more than the bass (yes it really was that special) was the midrange and vocals. They just sounded special and right. Even better than the A700x. Better than the grado's in a way since they weren't coloured like mad. Really really enjoyed these headphones and even if the price tag was 5 times as much I think I would buy it. I'm not as experienced as most people hear, but I'm not as consumer orientated either since I thought the beats sounded horrible. 

The one thing that hasn't changed during the 5 times I tried them is the comfort. I have no idea how you guys are wearing them. These are, for fear of repeating myself, excruciatingly painful. Is the any mods for the ear pads to make to softer, or any replacements that would fit? The build quality is quite poor as well imo. It seems strong enough but the plastic creaks with any sort of movement and the headphone feels too rigid. These are the only 2 things holding me back from buying these things. Still don't know why AT have not released a full size headphone that sounds like this. The pro700mk2 aren't it since the reviews are quite negative. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #291 of 458
Have you tried stretching them over some books? That is what I suggest you do. Get 3 to 4 books.. They have to represent the width of your head maybe an inch wider.  Then throw the headphones on them over night. Do this for a couple of nights/ days and I am willing to bet you they will stretch out and be much more comfortable. Try this.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #292 of 458

Quote:
Have you tried stretching them over some books? That is what I suggest you do. Get 3 to 4 books.. They have to represent the width of your head maybe an inch wider.  Then throw the headphones on them over night. Do this for a couple of nights/ days and I am willing to bet you they will stretch out and be much more comfortable. Try this.

I didn't buy them, they were only demo in a shop, connected to some unknown amp. Maybe if I stick a few books between it nobody will notice since they all go to audition the beats anyway 
wink.gif

I'm rather sceptical of how much the stretching books can help. I had a good feel of the pad and I may as well be made of rock. It has absolutely no padding. Can they not be removed/replaced with something like the esw9 or HD25's?

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #293 of 458
Oh ok. I bet you they were a new pair that was on display. When I got mine they had a fairly strong clamp but within using them for a few hours they loosened up nicely and they do kinda feel stiff at first but my pair is cushy and very comfy as I broke mine in using my book method and just using them. They do become much more comfortable.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #294 of 458
No they've been on display for ages. Have you tried the esw9? How do they compare to the WS55's? If they are similar I might just go with the woodies.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #295 of 458
Newbie here,

Bought them and like them. I am not an Audiophile by any stretch but researched and elicited opinions from those that ARE knowledgeable. Heard these and returned the SOL Tracks HD that I tried out (which were decent, according to my untrained ear lol). Got the red WS55, but don't like the red wire. Oh well, the price was good.

Anyway, dont want to hijack the thread but I would love a case for these. I am a mess, and would crush these in my pack/couch/bed without a case.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #296 of 458

Quote:
Newbie here,

Bought them and like them. I am not an Audiophile by any stretch but researched and elicited opinions from those that ARE knowledgeable. Heard these and returned the SOL Tracks HD that I tried out (which were decent, according to my untrained ear lol). Got the red WS55, but don't like the red wire. Oh well, the price was good.

Anyway, dont want to hijack the thread but I would love a case for these. I am a mess, and would crush these in my pack/couch/bed without a case.

I wish I had a travel case for them. My solution for home storage when not in use.....hang them up.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #297 of 458

Quote:
Newbie here,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headset-Headphone-Earphone-Collection-Box-Large-Carrying-Pouch-Hard-Bag-Case-/251025478236?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3a7248d25c#ht_2670wt_1110

heres a good solution for you, just bought one myself and its perfect. not the most rugged high quality case but its cheap as chips. 
they do free shipping worldwide

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #298 of 458
I don't know if this has been asked or not, but we've all seen the incredible hype about the ATH-M50's here.....I wonder how do the WS-55's compare to them? I spent $106 for my WS-55's and love them. The M50's I usually see from $140-$150 online, and I can't help but wonder are they really that much better? I don't plan on spending the money to find out, but i'm sure somebody here has heard them both.

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #299 of 458

Quote:
I don't know if this has been asked or not, but we've all seen the incredible hype about the ATH-M50's here.....I wonder how do the WS-55's compare to them? I spent $106 for my WS-55's and love them. The M50's I usually see from $140-$150 online, and I can't help but wonder are they really that much better? I don't plan on spending the money to find out, but i'm sure somebody here has heard them both.

Because you ask. You shall receive..I can't do it today as I have a Hockey game I have to go here in a few , but I will do an A/B session tomorrow and report back here. Check back tomorrow. My short answer to you is not they are not a clear upgrade to the WS55..I say getting something like an Ultrasone HFI-580/DJ1  would be a worthy upgrade and something different.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #300 of 458
I've read right through this thread, and have ordered the ws55s rather than the 55i's. I don't think the controls would add that much to the functionality, and the iPod is always just in my pocket or in my hand being read.

Now I'm just waiting for the takkyuubin, which should get here next Wednesday. Seven days, that's pretty good, and just 6,280 yen (about $76) from Amazon.co.jp.

Can't wait to try these babies out, although I'm a teensy bit concerned about whether the fit will be too uncomfortable (I've got a big head).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back