The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
Mar 13, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #241 of 458
Yeah I think I like these more than my CAL!s...I'm just having so much more fun with these.The CAL!s were my first pair of headphones by the way.I still miss my CAL!s though and I would love to still have it with me to do comparisons....Eh well if they didn't break then I wouldn't have found these babies!

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #242 of 458
Trust me. You aren't missing out on much. That bass you are enjoying on the WS55s have nothing to do with CALs.. I think maybe the CALS are technically more proper I suppose but these WS55 isn't too far off plus they have it where is counts. That bone rattling bass! If the cals had this bass that is on the WS55s then those would have been the subject of this thread no? Portable bass kings those aren't.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #243 of 458
Haha,I guess you're right!Thanks again for giving these a try and making a nice comparison between the two other headphones...I was about to get the AKGs but your review on the AT made me want to try it out.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #245 of 458

Quote:
dsnuts,

how do the ws55 and the cks77 compare?

lol I was just about to ask the same question. I audioned the ws55 today and apart from the excruciating pain from the eacups, the sound was very enjoyable. Soundstage was really impressive and bass was strong. Didn't feel like it intruded on the vocals for me. The problem as I stated is the comfort. Absolutely horrid. Would you mind doing a comparison between the 77 and 55 please.

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #247 of 458

Quote:
I was thinking of getting either the red ws55 or the red cks77

the red is like a matt metallic red. so nice :)

Red does look nice, but then you'd be mistaken for wearing beats. I'd personally want to save myself from explaining to said person that these aren't actually beats, these are Audio technica, a high end audio company that actually knows something about sound, unlike "dr" Dre.

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #248 of 458
Another thing I forgot to mention, what full size cans are similar to the ws55's signature. Something with the same bass and fun sound but maybe a bit more sparkly vocals. I already have the HTF600's which are sounding good but I want something with better resolution and seperation, as tracks can get muffled sometimes.

Would the 55's older brother be the M50, pro 700 mk2, or something else? Thanks

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #250 of 458
The CKS77 obviously will have no clamp at all. The sound signature is very similar. Both these have balance with your full bass but I have to admit the sound quality of the CKS77 is a notch higher than the WS55..

The CKS77 also has a nice roomy sound to them and the highs are a bit cleaner as well on them. The mids are a bit more forward and the bass on both are excellent. Much like the WS55 the CKS77s bass comes out to play when the track calls for it. Because of the isolating nature of earphones the sound on the CKS77 is more precise yet retains the same warm musical nature of the WS55. Non fatiguing musical sound with awesome bass..

It will come down to a matter of preference. If you guys are ok with earphones the CKS77 is one of the best bassy earphones on this planet. The WS55 remain a solid portable headphone but for almost the same price the SQ of the CKS77s is even a more refined version of the WS55. But if you aren't ok with earphones or anything in your ears. The WS55 kick ass as they are.

If you guys want to try a nice bassy earphone but don't want to spend a $100 on a CKS77. Try out a CKM50. Those for $25 on overstock.com is a fantastic bassy earphone and those sound much like a earphone version of the M50. The CKS77 would be the upgrade to those. But for the bucks the CKM50 is a blast.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #251 of 458

Quote:
lol I was just about to ask the same question. I audioned the ws55 today and apart from the excruciating pain from the eacups, the sound was very enjoyable. Soundstage was really impressive and bass was strong. Didn't feel like it intruded on the vocals for me. The problem as I stated is the comfort. Absolutely horrid. Would you mind doing a comparison between the 77 and 55 please.

Yeah like I said in my review,the comfort can get to you;but spread them over books over night and it does get better.The sound of these made me accept it and now they feel pleasant on my ears.I have been using cheap headphones for a while before I bought these so...my opinion might be praising them a bit.But I really like these headphones.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #253 of 458

Quote:
how do the ws55 compare with the senn hd 205?

I wouldn't even try to compare the hd205 with them. the hd205 is advertised as a dj headphone, but too flimsy and plasticky to be one. the ws55 is very solid and is no slouch with its sound, while they retail at $79-100, they compete with headphones at the $120-$130, the hd25 sp ii is more of a match than the hd205. natural sounding bass via the air chamber dynamics, warm mids, and sparkly highs.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #254 of 458
What would be the a full size version of the cks77 or ws55? Something with excellent comfort and bigger soundstage.

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #255 of 458
Well the HTF600s come to mind but you tried those. Wider stage big bass hmm. Maybe the Denon D2000. Look into them. Those usually can be bought used for around $200ish. Read up on them. They might be what your looking for..  Also the HFI-580/ Dj1s also come to mind. But these have a clamp much like the WS55s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back