The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #1,831 of 1,969
Believe me, it's not as easy as that video made it out to be. The case has a seam but it is glued with heat gun glue, end to end. The battery has an integrated harness and is really tough to dissemble. I trashed my first Pono trying but it was dead anyway. I use my second one indoors so battery life isn't an issue, I plug it in when using.

Thanks for the heads-up! This is good to know.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #1,832 of 1,969
Mar 2, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #1,833 of 1,969
Peel off the green McNair sticker and there is a Samsung battery underneath. The battery isn't available anywhere with the wire harness. The actual battery (minus harness) is used in many vaping machines. The original wire harness must be saved and reused.

A Pono owner posted a how to. I will have to search for it. Didn't look complicated or too difficult.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #1,834 of 1,969
Peel off the green McNair sticker and there is a Samsung battery underneath. The battery isn't available anywhere with the wire harness. The actual battery (minus harness) is used in many vaping machines. The original wire harness must be saved and reused.

A Pono owner posted a how to. I will have to search for it. Didn't look complicated or too difficult.
You can buy new wraps for the battery and use a blow dryer to shrink it back down after you solder the original circuit to the new battery.

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,836 of 1,969
Is there a aftermarket USB cable fitting the Pono?

Any "micro USB" 2.0 cable will do. The original has a male USB A male plug on the other end, for connection to the included charging adapter or a computer USB port.

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #1,838 of 1,969
Just bought a Pono and I’m loving it.

However, it has engendered a “little blue light” fixation. The one tune that was on it when I bought it as a NIB unit was Neil Young’s “There’s A World” from his Harvest album. It turns on a little blue light on the player, which indicates that the song has come from the Pono Music Store.

The Pono Music Store, now gone, was described as offering the highest-bit-rate FLAC available for its songs, and apparently there was a bit in the header that showed that the song came from the Pono store and turned on the blue light to assure that the file was indeed the highest-res FLAC available.

Despite trials on lots of hi-res files of various formats, including FLAC, I cannot get that blue light to turn on for any other songs.

Any ideas how to get files that turn it on?

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #1,840 of 1,969

However, it has engendered a “little blue light” fixation. The one tune that was on it when I bought it as a NIB unit was Neil Young’s “There’s A World” from his Harvest album. It turns on a little blue light on the player, which indicates that the song has come from the Pono Music Store.

The Pono Music Store, now gone, was described as offering the highest-bit-rate FLAC available for its songs, and apparently there was a bit in the header that showed that the song came from the Pono store and turned on the blue light to assure that the file was indeed the highest-res FLAC available.

Despite trials on lots of hi-res files of various formats, including FLAC, I cannot get that blue light to turn on for any other songs.

Thanks!
There’s a way to do it by adding information in the metadata... but I never learned how, because it didn’t interest me at the time. The old Pono forums had that info. Maybe someone here can point you to that info.

Jul 20, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #1,841 of 1,969
@ruthieandjohn someone wrote a little app that will add the blue light tag to your meta data. If anyone can still share or point you to the app (or explain what it does), they'd be on the RESono Community forum set up by diehard Pono users to replace official and dearly departed Pono Community. That's the best place to ask your question. I recommend you request an invite here: https://ponotrial.onsocialengine.com/

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #1,842 of 1,969

Thanks!

https://github.com/eehmke/flactag :)

Jul 28, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,844 of 1,969
Hi

Thanks for the link on Github for the Pono light activation.

I hope someone who has installed this already can help. I went to Github and got the files, and installed three of the four steps in the install.txt file without problem. Unfortunately, one of the steps, "port install py27-flac" reported back "not found". I did a port search on MacPorts to see if I could find it but no luck. Also inspected the GitHub files and cannot find it. I am not a pro at this by any means - could someone offer any help? Thanks!

John

Jul 28, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #1,845 of 1,969
I just put a 400GB microSD card into the expansion slot, spec'ed at 128gb. Pono built the database and now I have over 9,000 songs. Looks like 128 GB is not a limit on that expansion slot! YAYY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back