The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #1,861 of 1,969
@nino9 don't recall ever seeing a Pono Player with the rubber paint turning sticky. Wonder what it got into? As already stated, it appears to be non functioning. Doubtful it could be easily repaired. For such little money it might be worth picking up for parts. Things like SD card door, lcd screen, usb connector and battery might be useful to have in the future.
I think you should pick it up for 10$. Could be just a battery replacement. My black Pono is getting a bit sticky. That’s why I hate anything with a rubberized coating. Other plastics giveoff gases and can make rubberized coatings “melt”. In any case, rubber will always fail at some point.

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #1,863 of 1,969
I just put a 400GB microSD card into the expansion slot, spec'ed at 128gb. Pono built the database and now I have over 9,000 songs. Looks like 128 GB is not a limit on that expansion slot! YAYY!
512GB with exFAT works. I had a 128GB with FAT32 so I formatted the 512GB to FAT32 and it did not work. Set it back to exFAT and it works.

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,864 of 1,969
Hi guys,

started to use my Pono again, using it with HD 600 with a balanced cable. It still sounds fantastic, but there's one issue I see occasionally: sometimes during playback, the playback pauses and gets stuck and seemingly struggles to continue - sometimes it continues in a few seconds, sometimes it gets stuck and after a bit the playback is just aborted. It seems to happen most frequently on certain tracks at certain times. I seem to remember this also happening a few times when I used it a few years ago but now it looks to be happening more frequently, with more tracks. Does this happen to anyone else, is it identified what causes this?
It looks like most of the time this is happening is when playing back tracks from the external SD card, so my idea is that it has something to do with that and is limited to only that - I couldn't confirm this yet though.

I have a few ideas in mind of what could be happening:
- maybe sometimes it can't read the card fast enough to keep up with the track and that's why this is happening (I'm using the default 64GB Sandisk that came with it). It would be strange though as this is the factory SD card and it
- or perhaps they are compressed too much (FLAC level 8) so it just takes too much processing power on some points in some tracks to keep up - so I should use a lower level? (in this case the problem should also happen with tracks on the internal storage as not the reading speeds but processing power would be the culprit)
- maybe somehow some files got partially corrupted (based on my observations I wouldn't think this would be the case)
- maybe the SD card itself just worn out - I didn't write a lot to it so it would be weird but the card is very close to being full which also could matter

Any ideas why is this happening and what can be done to prevent it? Thanks!

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #1,865 of 1,969
Hi guys,

started to use my Pono again, using it with HD 600 with a balanced cable. It still sounds fantastic, but there's one issue I see occasionally: sometimes during playback, the playback pauses and gets stuck and seemingly struggles to continue - sometimes it continues in a few seconds, sometimes it gets stuck and after a bit the playback is just aborted. It seems to happen most frequently on certain tracks at certain times. I seem to remember this also happening a few times when I used it a few years ago but now it looks to be happening more frequently, with more tracks. Does this happen to anyone else, is it identified what causes this?
It looks like most of the time this is happening is when playing back tracks from the external SD card, so my idea is that it has something to do with that and is limited to only that - I couldn't confirm this yet though.

I have a few ideas in mind of what could be happening:
- maybe sometimes it can't read the card fast enough to keep up with the track and that's why this is happening (I'm using the default 64GB Sandisk that came with it). It would be strange though as this is the factory SD card and it
- or perhaps they are compressed too much (FLAC level 8) so it just takes too much processing power on some points in some tracks to keep up - so I should use a lower level? (in this case the problem should also happen with tracks on the internal storage as not the reading speeds but processing power would be the culprit)
- maybe somehow some files got partially corrupted (based on my observations I wouldn't think this would be the case)
- maybe the SD card itself just worn out - I didn't write a lot to it so it would be weird but the card is very close to being full which also could matter

Any ideas why is this happening and what can be done to prevent it? Thanks!

I'm using a 400gb microSD card and never internal storage and have never had an issue such as yours. Sounds like it's time for a new card.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #1,866 of 1,969
Thanks. It's weird though as when I connect the player to the PC, I can read the card with speeds of 15+ MB/s which certainly should be more than sufficient for playback. Gonna try to free up some space now to see if it has anything to do with the storage being full.

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #1,867 of 1,969
Thanks. It's weird though as when I connect the player to the PC, I can read the card with speeds of 15+ MB/s which certainly should be more than sufficient for playback. Gonna try to free up some space now to see if it has anything to do with the storage being full.

The microSD cards load a lot faster out of the player and in the computer/laptop than they do when it's inside the player, and trying to manage the internal storage of the player is a nightmare for me, so I don't ever put anything on it, like I mentioned previously.

I've heard reports of users having success with a 512gb microSD card as well. But you might be on the right track with why you might be having issues: if you get close to max storage, you're going to experience issues. Good luck!

Dec 31, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #1,868 of 1,969
You need to keep a minimum of 10% of the card available for indexing, as I recall. I do and have had no problems with cards from 64 to 400gb.

I filled my internal storage once and leave it alone, again leaving 10% free. I have 3 units and they all run fine. Nirvana with a balanced line into a Sennheiser 660S.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #1,869 of 1,969
@L8MDL , what balanced cable do you use from Pono to 660S. Thanks!

Jan 1, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #1,870 of 1,969
You need to keep a minimum of 10% of the card available for indexing, as I recall. I do and have had no problems with cards from 64 to 400gb.

I filled my internal storage once and leave it alone, again leaving 10% free. I have 3 units and they all run fine. Nirvana with a balanced line into a Sennheiser 660S.
Thanks. Just to try something, I copied a track to my PC where I had issues with playback, deleted it from the card and copied there again and afterwards the playback seems to be fixed. It's pretty interesting, maybe I should try to just format the SD card and re-copy everything to it.
BTW what filesystem do you guys use, FAT or exFAT? Do you guys use FLAC compression level 8 without issues, or do you use lower levels of compression?

Jan 1, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,872 of 1,969
exFAT? Do you guys use FLAC compression level 8 without issues, or do you use lower levels of compression?

exFAT on microSD cards IIRC. Compression 8 works for me on all my files.

BTW don't try to format the internal memory, there were lots of recports that it permanently corrupts things.

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #1,874 of 1,969
+1 on Surf Cables. I was about to give my bi-yearly warning DO NOT FORMAT THE INTERNAL 64GB STORAGE! It will set the USB port back to 1.1. I did it. Loading files to it was an overnight chore. I had to send it to Pono to have the firmware re-flashed. Took two weeks. And NO they would not send me the file to let me do it myself. Can’t blame Pono at all though. I got my Pono back in fine working order. I use a 400gb card that has never given me trouble. Plays all files just fine.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #1,875 of 1,969
My cable is from CustomCans, they're also very high quality.
Did some further digging and it turns out something is definitely wrong with my SD card. When I read it from PC, I get reading errors when trying to read several files. Gonna try to do a full reformatting (using the SD Card Formatter) to see if it makes a difference. (only the external SD card, not the internal storage as I was warned not to do that, also the problem seems to be limited to external storage anyway)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back