The PENON official thread
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #13,606 of 13,721
Looking to order a custom color DTE900 from Penon. Can anyone help me understand how to specify the color I want? Do I need to specify BOTH the body and the face plate colors separately?
I don't know how much Penon can customize them, but according to some the Sound Rhyme AE store offers many kinds of customization such as all possible colors and beyond and CIEM variant.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #13,607 of 13,721
Looking to order a custom color DTE900 from Penon. Can anyone help me understand how to specify the color I want? Do I need to specify BOTH the body and the face plate colors separately?
Yes separately (if you want them differently). Send Penon an email, they will help you. I ordered mine with customisation and gave them the colours wanted afterwards....

The Voltage⚡ is tempting for sure. Still no more infos on it's final price?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #13,608 of 13,721
Yes separately (if you want them differently). Send Penon an email, they will help you. I ordered mine with customisation and gave them the colours wanted afterwards....

The Voltage⚡ is tempting for sure. Still no more infos on it's final price?

Not yet. I bet they are trying to figure out what a good price for it will be. I know Penon is a business but I know they are more keen on pricing things to be more realistic than being out of touch.

If it was someone like UM or Campfire with this type of sound performance. They would have easily sold it for 2K plus.

Truth be told as much as I was wowed by the Impacts. These are getting the same exact attention from me if not more so and with a bass end I much prefer. I still think the best mids Penon has ever produced is on the Impacts but where the kicker for the Voltage is that its mids are not 2nd place in the tuning. I mean since when have you guys thought the mids for a Penon made IEM was ever 2nd place right?

All of it is done exceptionally well, bass to treble. It sounds so right, cohesion is superb on this set. It don't sound like a tribrid and that is the best compliment I can give it. Superb fluid tonal qualities, realism in its timbre, authority in its performance. Check, check and check. You guys will see my early draft of my write up tonight when I get a chance. It has a break down of what each of the switches do and how they affect the sound.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #13,610 of 13,721
Decided that I can't see the IEMs when they're in my ears, so I just went with the standard color DTE900 instead. Can't wait to hear them.

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #13,611 of 13,721
Not yet. I bet they are trying to figure out what a good price for it will be. I know Penon is a business but I know they are more keen on pricing things to be more realistic than being out of touch.
I hope they stick to a 500-700 price, which would be just less than their previous Volt and make it appealing to the soon to be flooded market of tribrids with this configuration. EPZ, Hisenior, and others will be soon announcing them.
If it was someone like UM or Campfire with this type of sound performance. They would have easily sold it for 2K plus.
Obviamente they're not a value proposition. They will soon be joining Elysian with a accesible iems.
Truth be told as much as I was wowed by the Impacts. These are getting the same exact attention from me if not more so and with a bass end I much prefer. I still think the best mids Penon has ever produced is on the Impacts but where the kicker for the Voltage is that its mids are not 2nd place in the tuning. I mean since when have you guys thought the mids for a Penon made IEM was ever 2nd place right?

All of it is done exceptionally well, bass to treble. It sounds so right, cohesion is superb on this set. It don't sound like a tribrid and that is the best compliment I can give it. Superb fluid tonal qualities, realism in its timbre, authority in its performance. Check, check and check. You guys will see my early draft of my write up tonight when I get a chance. It has a break down of what each of the switches do and how they affect the sound.
I would like to know if they're is a big, significant gap between the Voltage and the 10AE.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #13,612 of 13,721
Pilgrim and Noir will definitely shake things up in the <$1000 range, with Pilgrim at $400. They will sell a lot, IMHO.
I agree with this. Both are tuned so well. The standout for me for the Pilgrim is the treble. Very Anniesque. The other iem that we can add to the mix in this price bracket is Project M.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #13,613 of 13,721

I've just finished discovering the dark, smooth & refined Penon Fan2s - you're invited to sink your teeth into my full review here. :smile:

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #13,614 of 13,721
Can someone compare the Tansio Mirai Feat with the Penon Globe?
Dont have either sets with me but they are different sounds. Globe represents and older Penon sound with a richer tonal character. Mids have excellent body, fullness and has a musical type of bass which enhances its sound profile. Its got that classic lower mid warmth but also has the classic 6khz dip. Newer Penon tuning is not so dip prone in the region which is actually a good thing. 6-8khz is very sensitive region for trebles but you need some emphasis here for a more complete treble performance and so we get that

Even though both sets have similar levels of bass emphasis. It is the Feat that is more bass focused and is more featured with better texture and rumble, I would say the globes has the better more prominent mids presence and the Feat has more bass presence. Both sets will not offend for trebles but FEAT has a more complete treble balancing out of the two. Globes has a bit wider stage and generally a larger sound FEAT is not bad here but since the bass end is more featured for its sound the stage seems a touch more intimate out of the two. If your a mids person I would go Globes. If you're a bass person the FEAT is very compelling bass set for the money.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #13,615 of 13,721
Dont have either sets with me but they are different sounds. Globe represents and older Penon sound with a richer tonal character. Mids have excellent body, fullness and has a musical type of bass which enhances its sound profile. Its got that classic lower mid warmth but also has the classic 6khz dip. Newer Penon tuning is not so dip prone in the region which is actually a good thing. 6-8khz is very sensitive region for trebles but you need some emphasis here for a more complete treble performance and so we get that

Even though both sets have similar levels of bass emphasis. It is the Feat that is more bass focused and is more featured with better texture and rumble, I would say the globes has the better more prominent mids presence and the Feat has more bass presence. Both sets will not offend for trebles but FEAT has a more complete treble balancing out of the two. Globes has a bit wider stage and generally a larger sound FEAT is not bad here but since the bass end is more featured for its sound the stage seems a touch more intimate out of the two. If your a mids person I would go Globes. If you're a bass person the FEAT is very compelling bass set for the money.
Thanks for these useful details!
Lower mid warmth and 6khz dip seems to suit my preferences, I'm sensitive to upper mids forwardness and I almost always use the EQ for 6 khz.
On the other hand, I also like a lot of bass (done right) and the Feat is more tempting for the better texture and bass rumble.
I also have the Oriveti OH700VB on the list, I saw them praised everywhere but not sure if they really worth the money.
I would like something very good for metal and EDM which I' m listening most of the time but in the same time, I also want the vocals to be thick, dense, emotional, not cold or too upfront.
Don't like bright/ analytical sound.
Very hard to choose without listening.

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #13,616 of 13,721

I know it will be a different price point, but how does it compare to TSMR X?

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #13,618 of 13,721
Penon Voltage
DSC01797.JPG

If you ask Penon fans which of the classic Penons catalog of IEMs represents their house sound. That would be the former flagship IEM, the Penon Volts. I did a review for that IEM here circa 10/2020. It was using a 10mm dynamic for bass, 2X Sonion BAs for mids, 4XSonion ESTs for highs. In hindsight I do believe this was the IEM that brought Penon into the limelight on the threads of headfi. Truth is Penon has always brought their best efforts when it comes to designing IEMs and even though the Volt has been out since 10/2020. We have had numerous new IEMs from Penon since including a new flagship in their Impacts.

It was only a matter of time before Penon started their cogs rolling on how to design a proper follow up to the Volts. This was going to be an important release as there are just too many enthusiasts and fans of the Volt that demand a proper follow up and I think Penon knew it. I have heard rumblings of a successor to the Volts since last year and today I am happy to report that tribrid follow up is now a reality.

The new Penon Voltage is the definitive follow up to the IEM that started a series of excellent higher end IEMs from Penon that sees a clear upgrade on their tribrid formula. The new all ruby red/ red marble colorway is an indicator of the caliente nature of its design. These not only look the part, stunning looking I might add but they certainly live up to the namesake as well. The new Voltage is utilizing upgraded drivers in sheer count and as well as its sound tuning to bring a new tribrid follow up to the Volts. Yes my friend it's finally here.

The Voltage is using 2x 8mm dynamics,2x Sonion BAs for mids and 2X Sonion BAs for highs 4X ESTs for ultra highs. Without even hearing the Voltage, this is a more proper count of drivers needed for a higher end tribrid. One of the only issues I had with the old Volt was that it lacked a bit of lower treble emphasis and could have had a bit more treble emphasis in general as the ESTs was handling all of the trebles. This works but it is well known ESTs are not proper for lower treble support. Hence you see BAs or other drivers handling that portion on most tribrid IEMs and the addition of 2x 8mm dynamics vs the single 10mm dynamic in the Volts.

Penon has been using a lot of the 2 dynamic arrays lately and for a good reason. Having two dynamics gives a bit more physicality, authority, agility reach and speed vs the single dynamic which I will get into in the sound section of this reader but for now. Just know Penon has utilized every single driver in the Voltage for full sonics.

But then they took it one step further. Included some very nicely done switches. Before you say switches are a gimmick. Not when it is done correctly it isn’t. Not only are the switches effective to give several sound designs in one but to my ears all the sound tunings involved with the addition of the switches to the base mode tuning are all done splendidly. Let's break it down.

With no switches on. The base tuning reminds me a bit of the Penon Impacts in tuning. Not exactly at that level of mids refinement but the signature is there. Full bodied, rich, fantastically detailed and layered extremely well all presented in a larger body of sound for IEMs. It's a more neutral leaning signature including a mild less colored 5dbs bass and mild treble emphasis that brings the mids more spotlight with a very nicely done balanced signature. This mode is all about acoustic music and clean vocal performances. You want natural timbre and an honest take on your music. This is the mode I would go with. This mode alone would have had neutral heads loving praising its signature but no my friends we get much more.
DSC01812.JPG

Turn up the 1 or bass switch and now we are tilting the bass end but this switch does more than just add 3dbs of more bass and it was done by design that it raises the lower mid portion of the tuning by a few dbs as well. This does a few things. While this little switch is more of a mild boost it brings a touch of a warmer tuning with a thicker note weight to music for the all important lower mids and bass. It is this mode that adds some traditional Penon coloration to the Voltages sound. This brings that warmth that Penon fans have grown to love in their tunings. Penon Fan2 anyone? This is the mode that brings body to male vocals, strings and impact to bass notes with greater texture and extension. Musicality is associated with the region which is also synonymous with Penon tunings. A Penon IEM is not a Penon IEM without this and this is where the folks that are familiar with the Penon Volts will appreciate.

Turn up 2 for trebles and this switch affects the upper mids and treble end of the tuning. Penon tunings are more traditionally has been about the mids. But I have seen a shift in their tunings and for the better. Upper mids get a mild db of extra boost but done very tastefully. The upper mids by the way are now at what I consider the goldilocks of upper mids emphasis at around 8dbs without the switch at around 6ish. With the addition of the upper mid boost it also gets a treble boost which brings better presence in the tuning for folks that want that. Without this switch the treble emphasis is mild and does remind me of the treble tuning on the old Volts but one with better presence for the lower trebles. With the switch on we get better extension, more sparkle and shimmer all handled by the EST drivers that were taxed with this important duty. This is one of those IEMs that you can’t really understand just by looking at a graph. While the trebles look decidedly rolled off. It really isn’t. Especially now that it has that necessary lower to mid treble emphasis that is crucial for IEM balance.
DSC01791.JPG

Trebles especially with the added switch is just simply excellent. Once again done in good taste. There is nothing in the trebles that will offend or step out of bounds and the tuning switch brings a variable treble option that is just as important as the 1 bass and lower mid switch. 2 treble switch on and 1 bass switch off brings a more traditional neutral tuning that folks will love for the best imaging and precision for the Voltage. This is the mode to go with for classical and orchestral scores where precision and imaging is clearly needed for a proper larger body of imaging for your music. Where strings and its proper decay and timbre is important, this is the mode I would go with.
Both switch up. Now we get some fireworks. Folks that own the 10th anniversary can relate to this mode. This brings a mild but once again tastefully done v shaped tuning. I know there is somewhat of a stigma attached to V shaped tunings but this sounds soo right. So good. It is this mode you want your rock, metal, EDM, pop RnB, Hip hop. Modern music. This is the mode that folks that loved the 10th anniversary for its tuning will appreciate. I find this tuning to be so tasty, infusing that musicality we love from Penon tunings that jives exceptionally well with most of my music collection. If you're one of those folks that just leaves a switch alone in the best available spot. That would be this mode. In this mode is where I feel the Voltage's use of extra drivers and more importantly them EST implementation comes into play. It is in this mode you can get your groove on with some exceptional textured bass, rich well imaged mids and sparkly extended treble. The mids don’t just disappear here. This was the mode that I felt the Volts follow up would be. It is in this mode that you folks will understand why Penon has used two bass dynamics and two Sonion BAs to handle lower treble notes. Just my opinion but I think Penon could have made an IEM with just this tuning and called it a day. But the other modes don’t play 2nd fiddle to the two switch tuning here. Not at all.

There is something to be said about an IEM that will adapt to your hearing state. The Voltage can be the type of IEM to scrutinize your music with, and could even be used as a monitor since its basic balanced, more neutral state is less colored and more honest about your music. Certainly can be used as a vocal monitor for Penons excellent take on its mids performance.

It could have used one more level of bass boost for basshead fanatics and one more level of treble for treble heads (I would explore other cable options if that's what you're after) but for what it is. The Voltage in all of its forms came out tastefully exceptional in every way possible. So none of the switch settings will fully satisfy a bass fanatic or a treble fanatic but Penon tunings have never been just about the bass end or the trebles in the first place. What is consistent in all of the tunings is their extremely well done mids profile.
DSC01788.JPG

Fitment/ size.
The size of the Voltage I would consider in the conservatively larger bracket for IEMs. I certainly have even larger sized IEMs that actually use less amount of drivers so this design is agreeable in that they are comfortable for my medium/ larger ears. Ergonomically sound vs some that are just uncomfortable. Considering it is using some smaller sized BAs 4 ESTs and 2 dynamics, a total of 10 big boy drivers stuffed handsomely inside the shells, the engineering that is involved takes some serious know-how. The all resin shell also gives above average passive isolation for your excursions outdoors. I would give it roughly 26- 28dbs from my subjective hearing which is outstanding, good passive isolation means they are excellent to take out in your outdoor excursions.

The cable that is included is a well reviewed Penon Obsidian black modular cable which is composed of 18k gold plated OCC hybrid cable in 4 cores. A slightly customized version of this cable was used for their flagship IEM, the Penon Impacts. This cable by default highlights the mid bands with a honest take on trebles adding a bass emphasis with greater note weight and a richer tonal character on all of the sonics- Traditional of Penon sound. I will say in my opinion this cable is an excellent match up with the Voltage to highlight just how dynamic and rich the sound is. It's a better match up with the Voltage vs the Impacts imo. While it’s an excellent matching modular cable, it's not the most technical of cables that can be used on the Voltage. Hence If you plan on getting the Voltage, cables will enhance or highlight parts or all of its sound design to your liking more so. Included cable is just fine, more than fine reason why the Voltage sounds so full bodied as somewhat to do with this cable so it was deliberately chosen to accent and support the sound of the Voltage. However cable rolling will tune the Voltage to your liking.
DSC01786.JPG

Technicals.
So let's get this out of the way. The sonics of the Voltage is a higher tier of sound. Utilizing 4 sound channels/ tubes into the nozzle of the Voltage means you get 4 distinct zones of sound that are all jiving to make up with Voltage sound performance. The OG Volt had 3 zones/ sound bores in comparison. These separated zones of sound gives clear distinction of each part of the sound signature. Sound imaging with better perceived texture and instrument separation is the result. Something that represents an actual higher tier of sound from what the Voltage presents will be at a supreme premium and we are talking megabuck IEMs that promise the heavens decent on your ears. As it stands. Penons ability to not only bring the goods when it comes to technicalities but it is always infused with solid musicality. Its stage is just as wide and deep as the OG Volts. But it is the Voltage's excellent variability that is the upgrade on the one Volt sound signature. Where the upgrade in tuning is in both its trebles and its bass definition. Has a more proper lower treble emphasis vs the Volts giving a complete sense of treble performance. I would say the mids sound a bit broader over the Volts mids which stands out just a touch more forward in comparison otherwise the upgrade is for real on the Voltage, tuning switches and all. Bass ends rumble and low bass extension has been improved from the OG Volts here as well. Its sound imaging, layering, definition and timbre here are all playing at a higher level of sound regardless of which switch you try though the treble switch does lend to a better sense of micro detail perception, even without the sound is not lacking here in the least bit. If you're sensitive to trebles and love your warmth. You get that here as well with the 1 bass option and 2 treble switch down. More detailed take on the Voltage 1 bass down 2 treble switch up. Anyway you do it. All of it is tasty.

Trebles are overall well balanced with a moderate emphasis and extension. No treble glare and where ESTs are involved brings the sparkle and shimmer we associate with EST infusions. I have grown to be a fan of the EST timbre and while some say it does not sound natural. To me it gives the necessary distinction of the upper treble notes where other drivers are weak at. This is where the strength of the EST implementations comes into play and where micro detailing is vital for Jazz, classical and really any music genre where precision is necessary. EST timbre is superior to a lot of try hard BAs and most dynamic setups. The Voltage EST implementation on the treble aspects of its tuning is better utilized vs the Volts as it handles the upper treble notes with distinction and cohesion.

Mids has always been a strong suit of the Penon made IEM and you will never read about Penon bringing a recessed midrange on any of their IEMs. It is a vital part of their tuning make up and here the Voltage has several tuning angles to provide some of the best mids in the industry. Utilizing 2 Sonion BAs with very likable and well establish timbre characteristics. The thing I love about Sonion BAs is they are less likely to emit the BA timbre you read about from other hybrids and IEMs. Not only are timbre aspects spot on but you get that richer tonal character of a well implemented Sonion BA. Two drivers are better than one in the region as this gives better sense of the dimensional proportions of your recording. Both instrument and vocals alike are always a strong suit from a Penon made IEM and the Voltage is yet another fine example of just how masterful they can tune the mids. The Voltage goes from neutral to full bodied with a hint of warmth and the mids will never be an afterthought but always featured for Penon.
DSC01792.JPG

Bass
The soul of the music you listen to. If the rhythm section don't move you. You must be listening to the wrong type of music. Bass design traditionally has been handled by a capable dynamic that brings the beats. Utilizing dual 8mm dynamics. Penon has not disclosed exactly what material the dynamics here are. Regardless of type. I do know these bring a physical nature to the bass impact that seem to have a bit of an extra. Some folks worry about coherency and bass speed due to the physical nature of how a BA produces sound vs a diaphragm. By nature the bass diaphragm needs air to move for that physical bass. So the bass end will be slightly slower than that of a BA based bass. Unless you listen to just speed metal all day long. This is really not an issue. Even when listening to speed metal I don’t perceive the Voltage bass to be slow or sluggish in the least bit. Since the mids are presented in a natural manner the bass here jives extremely well with what the other bands of sound are doing for the Voltage.

Even without the extra bass 1 switch on. You are going to be surprised just how impactful and capable the standard mode for bass is on the Voltage. For a lot of folks this will be the preferred amount of bass as there is really nothing lacking in the ability for the bass end to come full bored. I would never describe the bass end as being bass light or bass neutral simply due to the bass quality being so very good on the Voltage. Let me put it this way. You don’t name your IEM something like the Volatage and not bring it in the bass department.

Bass is natural, clean, tight and has very good definition. I never thought the Volts bass end was ever an issue, infact I loved the bold but impactful bass end of the Volts but I have seen some folks feel sub bass could have been better. Voltages advantage of using 2 dynamics is that it's got a complete ability for the bass end. Sub bass rumble is not an issue, digs a bit deeper with a proper transient response meaning its decay is sustained realistically for a woofer design. Much like the mids and the trebles that specialize in their portions of sound the bass dynamics handle the bass end with no struggle or weakness that I can detect. Its tonal character is spot on. Its textured sub bass, very realistic. Bass end here is very satisfactory and in the 1 switch bass mode, bass is not a supporting role but one that is actually featured. Bass keeps up with the rest of the signature easily and since all the drivers her was deliberately selected for ultimate cohesion. There is no part of the sound that stands out on their own. Bass end included.
DSC01808.JPG

Overall
With a name that exudes energy, the sound of the Voltage easily encompasses the namesake. Voltage is the end result of years of designs from folks that are master craftsmen at their work. Their ergonomic fit will work well with most folks and a solid all resin build means excellent passive isolation for when we need to be into our music on the go. The sound tuning is more than versatile, unless you're an extreme bass head or like all your sound to be brighter than the sun. There will be an option of the Voltage sound tuning that you will most definitely like. Voltage uses a high level of technical ability to its advantage in bringing forth a very even handed dynamic sound, not the other way around where technicalities are the only redeeming feature. Voltage brings a higher end tribrid to the masses with variable tuning switches that turns them into a different IEM every time you feel the need, when you add together all the aspects of what it can do and sound like, Its quality construction, stunning looks, highly refined design in both looks and sound. You get a new classic from Penon.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #13,619 of 13,721
Penon Voltage
DSC01797.JPG
If you ask Penon fans which of the classic Penons catalog of IEMs represents their house sound. That would be the former flagship IEM, the Penon Volts. I did a review for that IEM here circa 10/2020. It was using a 10mm dynamic for bass, 2X Sonion BAs for mids, 4XSonion ESTs for highs. In hindsight I do believe this was the IEM that brought Penon into the limelight on the threads of headfi. Truth is Penon has always brought their best efforts when it comes to designing IEMs and even though the Volt has been out since 10/2020. We have had numerous new IEMs from Penon since including a new flagship in their Impacts.

It was only a matter of time before Penon started their cogs rolling on how to design a proper follow up to the Volts. This was going to be an important release as there are just too many enthusiasts and fans of the Volt that demand a proper follow up and I think Penon knew it. I have heard rumblings of a successor to the Volts since last year and today I am happy to report that tribrid follow up is now a reality.

The new Penon Voltage is the definitive follow up to the IEM that started a series of excellent higher end IEMs from Penon that sees a clear upgrade on their tribrid formula. The new all ruby red/ red marble colorway is an indicator of the caliente nature of its design. These not only look the part, stunning looking I might add but they certainly live up to the namesake as well. The new Voltage is utilizing upgraded drivers in sheer count and as well as its sound tuning to bring a new tribrid follow up to the Volts. Yes my friend it's finally here.

The Voltage is using 2x 8mm dynamics,2x Sonion BAs for mids and 2X Sonion BAs for highs 4X ESTs for ultra highs. Without even hearing the Voltage, this is a more proper count of drivers needed for a higher end tribrid. One of the only issues I had with the old Volt was that it lacked a bit of lower treble emphasis and could have had a bit more treble emphasis in general as the ESTs was handling all of the trebles. This works but it is well known ESTs are not proper for lower treble support. Hence you see BAs or other drivers handling that portion on most tribrid IEMs and the addition of 2x 8mm dynamics vs the single 10mm dynamic in the Volts.

Penon has been using a lot of the 2 dynamic arrays lately and for a good reason. Having two dynamics gives a bit more physicality, authority, agility reach and speed vs the single dynamic which I will get into in the sound section of this reader but for now. Just know Penon has utilized every single driver in the Voltage for full sonics.

But then they took it one step further. Included some very nicely done switches. Before you say switches are a gimmick. Not when it is done correctly it isn’t. Not only are the switches effective to give several sound designs in one but to my ears all the sound tunings involved with the addition of the switches to the base mode tuning are all done splendidly. Let's break it down.

With no switches on. The base tuning reminds me a bit of the Penon Impacts in tuning. Not exactly at that level of mids refinement but the signature is there. Full bodied, rich, fantastically detailed and layered extremely well all presented in a larger body of sound for IEMs. It's a more neutral leaning signature including a mild less colored 5dbs bass and mild treble emphasis that brings the mids more spotlight with a very nicely done balanced signature. This mode is all about acoustic music and clean vocal performances. You want natural timbre and an honest take on your music. This is the mode I would go with. This mode alone would have had neutral heads loving praising its signature but no my friends we get much more.
DSC01812.JPG
Turn up the 1 or bass switch and now we are tilting the bass end but this switch does more than just add 3dbs of more bass and it was done by design that it raises the lower mid portion of the tuning by a few dbs as well. This does a few things. While this little switch is more of a mild boost it brings a touch of a warmer tuning with a thicker note weight to music for the all important lower mids and bass. It is this mode that adds some traditional Penon coloration to the Voltages sound. This brings that warmth that Penon fans have grown to love in their tunings. Penon Fan2 anyone? This is the mode that brings body to male vocals, strings and impact to bass notes with greater texture and extension. Musicality is associated with the region which is also synonymous with Penon tunings. A Penon IEM is not a Penon IEM without this and this is where the folks that are familiar with the Penon Volts will appreciate.

Turn up 2 for trebles and this switch affects the upper mids and treble end of the tuning. Penon tunings are more traditionally has been about the mids. But I have seen a shift in their tunings and for the better. Upper mids get a mild db of extra boost but done very tastefully. The upper mids by the way are now at what I consider the goldilocks of upper mids emphasis at around 8dbs without the switch at around 6ish. With the addition of the upper mid boost it also gets a treble boost which brings better presence in the tuning for folks that want that. Without this switch the treble emphasis is mild and does remind me of the treble tuning on the old Volts but one with better presence for the lower trebles. With the switch on we get better extension, more sparkle and shimmer all handled by the EST drivers that were taxed with this important duty. This is one of those IEMs that you can’t really understand just by looking at a graph. While the trebles look decidedly rolled off. It really isn’t. Especially now that it has that necessary lower to mid treble emphasis that is crucial for IEM balance.
DSC01791.JPG
Trebles especially with the added switch is just simply excellent. Once again done in good taste. There is nothing in the trebles that will offend or step out of bounds and the tuning switch brings a variable treble option that is just as important as the 1 bass and lower mid switch. 2 treble switch on and 1 bass switch off brings a more traditional neutral tuning that folks will love for the best imaging and precision for the Voltage. This is the mode to go with for classical and orchestral scores where precision and imaging is clearly needed for a proper larger body of imaging for your music. Where strings and its proper decay and timbre is important, this is the mode I would go with.
Both switch up. Now we get some fireworks. Folks that own the 10th anniversary can relate to this mode. This brings a mild but once again tastefully done v shaped tuning. I know there is somewhat of a stigma attached to V shaped tunings but this sounds soo right. So good. It is this mode you want your rock, metal, EDM, pop RnB, Hip hop. Modern music. This is the mode that folks that loved the 10th anniversary for its tuning will appreciate. I find this tuning to be so tasty, infusing that musicality we love from Penon tunings that jives exceptionally well with most of my music collection. If you're one of those folks that just leaves a switch alone in the best available spot. That would be this mode. In this mode is where I feel the Voltage's use of extra drivers and more importantly them EST implementation comes into play. It is in this mode you can get your groove on with some exceptional textured bass, rich well imaged mids and sparkly extended treble. The mids don’t just disappear here. This was the mode that I felt the Volts follow up would be. It is in this mode that you folks will understand why Penon has used two bass dynamics and two Sonion BAs to handle lower treble notes. Just my opinion but I think Penon could have made an IEM with just this tuning and called it a day. But the other modes don’t play 2nd fiddle to the two switch tuning here. Not at all.

There is something to be said about an IEM that will adapt to your hearing state. The Voltage can be the type of IEM to scrutinize your music with, and could even be used as a monitor since its basic balanced, more neutral state is less colored and more honest about your music. Certainly can be used as a vocal monitor for Penons excellent take on its mids performance.

It could have used one more level of bass boost for basshead fanatics and one more level of treble for treble heads (I would explore other cable options if that's what you're after) but for what it is. The Voltage in all of its forms came out tastefully exceptional in every way possible. So none of the switch settings will fully satisfy a bass fanatic or a treble fanatic but Penon tunings have never been just about the bass end or the trebles in the first place. What is consistent in all of the tunings is their extremely well done mids profile.
DSC01788.JPG
Fitment/ size.
The size of the Voltage I would consider in the conservatively larger bracket for IEMs. I certainly have even larger sized IEMs that actually use less amount of drivers so this design is agreeable in that they are comfortable for my medium/ larger ears. Ergonomically sound vs some that are just uncomfortable. Considering it is using some smaller sized BAs 4 ESTs and 2 dynamics, a total of 10 big boy drivers stuffed handsomely inside the shells, the engineering that is involved takes some serious know-how. The all resin shell also gives above average passive isolation for your excursions outdoors. I would give it roughly 26- 28dbs from my subjective hearing which is outstanding, good passive isolation means they are excellent to take out in your outdoor excursions.

The cable that is included is a well reviewed Penon Obsidian black modular cable which is composed of 18k gold plated OCC hybrid cable in 4 cores. A slightly customized version of this cable was used for their flagship IEM, the Penon Impacts. This cable by default highlights the mid bands with a honest take on trebles adding a bass emphasis with greater note weight and a richer tonal character on all of the sonics- Traditional of Penon sound. I will say in my opinion this cable is an excellent match up with the Voltage to highlight just how dynamic and rich the sound is. It's a better match up with the Voltage vs the Impacts imo. While it’s an excellent matching modular cable, it's not the most technical of cables that can be used on the Voltage. Hence If you plan on getting the Voltage, cables will enhance or highlight parts or all of its sound design to your liking more so. Included cable is just fine, more than fine reason why the Voltage sounds so full bodied as somewhat to do with this cable so it was deliberately chosen to accent and support the sound of the Voltage. However cable rolling will tune the Voltage to your liking.
DSC01786.JPG
Technicals.
So let's get this out of the way. The sonics of the Voltage is a higher tier of sound. Utilizing 4 sound channels/ tubes into the nozzle of the Voltage means you get 4 distinct zones of sound that are all jiving to make up with Voltage sound performance. The OG Volt had 3 zones/ sound bores in comparison. These separated zones of sound gives clear distinction of each part of the sound signature. Sound imaging with better perceived texture and instrument separation is the result. Something that represents an actual higher tier of sound from what the Voltage presents will be at a supreme premium and we are talking megabuck IEMs that promise the heavens decent on your ears. As it stands. Penons ability to not only bring the goods when it comes to technicalities but it is always infused with solid musicality. Its stage is just as wide and deep as the OG Volts. But it is the Voltage's excellent variability that is the upgrade on the one Volt sound signature. Where the upgrade in tuning is in both its trebles and its bass definition. Has a more proper lower treble emphasis vs the Volts giving a complete sense of treble performance. I would say the mids sound a bit broader over the Volts mids which stands out just a touch more forward in comparison otherwise the upgrade is for real on the Voltage, tuning switches and all. Bass ends rumble and low bass extension has been improved from the OG Volts here as well. Its sound imaging, layering, definition and timbre here are all playing at a higher level of sound regardless of which switch you try though the treble switch does lend to a better sense of micro detail perception, even without the sound is not lacking here in the least bit. If you're sensitive to trebles and love your warmth. You get that here as well with the 1 bass option and 2 treble switch down. More detailed take on the Voltage 1 bass down 2 treble switch up. Anyway you do it. All of it is tasty.

Trebles are overall well balanced with a moderate emphasis and extension. No treble glare and where ESTs are involved brings the sparkle and shimmer we associate with EST infusions. I have grown to be a fan of the EST timbre and while some say it does not sound natural. To me it gives the necessary distinction of the upper treble notes where other drivers are weak at. This is where the strength of the EST implementations comes into play and where micro detailing is vital for Jazz, classical and really any music genre where precision is necessary. EST timbre is superior to a lot of try hard BAs and most dynamic setups. The Voltage EST implementation on the treble aspects of its tuning is better utilized vs the Volts as it handles the upper treble notes with distinction and cohesion.

Mids has always been a strong suit of the Penon made IEM and you will never read about Penon bringing a recessed midrange on any of their IEMs. It is a vital part of their tuning make up and here the Voltage has several tuning angles to provide some of the best mids in the industry. Utilizing 2 Sonion BAs with very likable and well establish timbre characteristics. The thing I love about Sonion BAs is they are less likely to emit the BA timbre you read about from other hybrids and IEMs. Not only are timbre aspects spot on but you get that richer tonal character of a well implemented Sonion BA. Two drivers are better than one in the region as this gives better sense of the dimensional proportions of your recording. Both instrument and vocals alike are always a strong suit from a Penon made IEM and the Voltage is yet another fine example of just how masterful they can tune the mids. The Voltage goes from neutral to full bodied with a hint of warmth and the mids will never be an afterthought but always featured for Penon.
DSC01792.JPG
Bass
The soul of the music you listen to. If the rhythm section don't move you. You must be listening to the wrong type of music. Bass design traditionally has been handled by a capable dynamic that brings the beats. Utilizing dual 8mm dynamics. Penon has not disclosed exactly what material the dynamics here are. Regardless of type. I do know these bring a physical nature to the bass impact that seem to have a bit of an extra. Some folks worry about coherency and bass speed due to the physical nature of how a BA produces sound vs a diaphragm. By nature the bass diaphragm needs air to move for that physical bass. So the bass end will be slightly slower than that of a BA based bass. Unless you listen to just speed metal all day long. This is really not an issue. Even when listening to speed metal I don’t perceive the Voltage bass to be slow or sluggish in the least bit. Since the mids are presented in a natural manner the bass here jives extremely well with what the other bands of sound are doing for the Voltage.

Even without the extra bass 1 switch on. You are going to be surprised just how impactful and capable the standard mode for bass is on the Voltage. For a lot of folks this will be the preferred amount of bass as there is really nothing lacking in the ability for the bass end to come full bored. I would never describe the bass end as being bass light or bass neutral simply due to the bass quality being so very good on the Voltage. Let me put it this way. You don’t name your IEM something like the Volatage and not bring it in the bass department.

Bass is natural, clean, tight and has very good definition. I never thought the Volts bass end was ever an issue, infact I loved the bold but impactful bass end of the Volts but I have seen some folks feel sub bass could have been better. Voltages advantage of using 2 dynamics is that it's got a complete ability for the bass end. Sub bass rumble is not an issue, digs a bit deeper with a proper transient response meaning its decay is sustained realistically for a woofer design. Much like the mids and the trebles that specialize in their portions of sound the bass dynamics handle the bass end with no struggle or weakness that I can detect. Its tonal character is spot on. Its textured sub bass, very realistic. Bass end here is very satisfactory and in the 1 switch bass mode, bass is not a supporting role but one that is actually featured. Bass keeps up with the rest of the signature easily and since all the drivers her was deliberately selected for ultimate cohesion. There is no part of the sound that stands out on their own. Bass end included.
DSC01808.JPG
Overall
With a name that exudes energy, the sound of the Voltage easily encompasses the namesake. Voltage is the end result of years of designs from folks that are master craftsmen at their work. Their ergonomic fit will work well with most folks and a solid all resin build means excellent passive isolation for when we need to be into our music on the go. The sound tuning is more than versatile, unless you're an extreme bass head or like all your sound to be brighter than the sun. There will be an option of the Voltage sound tuning that you will most definitely like. Voltage uses a high level of technical ability to its advantage in bringing forth a very even handed dynamic sound, not the other way around where technicalities are the only redeeming feature. Voltage brings a higher end tribrid to the masses with variable tuning switches that turns them into a different IEM every time you feel the need, when you add together all the aspects of what it can do and sound like, Its quality construction, stunning looks, highly refined design in both looks and sound. You get a new classic from Penon.
Great review and pictures! Love the shells!

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #13,620 of 13,721
PIton Voltage
DSC01797.JPG

DSC01812.JPG

DSC01791.JPG

DSC01788.JPG
Fitment/ size.

The cable that is included is a well reviewed Penon Obsidian black modular cable which is composed of 18k gold plated OCC hybrid cable in 4 cores. A slightly customized version of this cable was used for their flagship IEM, the Penon Impacts. This cable by default highlights the mid bands with a honest take on trebles adding a bass emphasis with greater note weight and a richer tonal characsound signatu?ethe sonics- Traditional of Penon sound. I will say in my opinion this cable is an excellent match up with the Voltage to highlight just how dynamic and rich the sound is. It's a better match up with the Voltage vs the Impacts imo. While it’s an excellent matching modular cable, it's not the most technical of cables that can be used on the Voltage. Hence If you plan on getting the Voltage, cables will enhance or highlight parts or all of its sound design to your liking more so. Included cable is just fine, more than fine reason why the Voltage sounds so full bodied as somewhat to do with this cable so it was deliberately chosen to accent and support the sound of the Voltage. However cable rolling will tune the Voltage to your liking.
DSC01786.JPG
Technicals.

DSC01792.JPG
Bass

DSC01808.JPG
Overall
Great take! Thanks for your impressions.

You've mentioned the 10AE sound signature being alike. Are they that similar? meaning having it, is it worth the upgrade.

Best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back