The PENON official thread
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #13,291 of 13,727
Agreed, but you're also using the $800 Effect Audio Code 24 with it. :smile:

I tried Quattro out with Code 24 and it was an amazing pairing. Looks and sounds like they were made for each other.

The EA table was right next to the Elysian table, so I tried the Code 24/Quattro combo immediately after I auditioned the prototype "Pilgrim" (yuck) and $3,000 Annihilator 2023. Surprisingly, Code24/Quattro was somewhat competitive vs. Annihilator to me. Obviously Anni beats it in most areas but it's not like Quattro was vastly inferior either. A real eye/ear opener for me.

A nice couple at the EA table were asking me about Penon and Quattro. I showed it to them and they were very interested in finding out more about it. Don't know why Penon refuses to attend CanJam. I think they'd benefit greatly from going and showing off their products there.

Wish Code 24 was more affordable. I want it really bad but just can't justify spending $800 on a cable.
Did you not enjoy the Elysian Pilgrim? Most Canjam impressions of it I've read have been fairly positive though I think some people have issue with its' upper midrange.

@Bosk since you also got the EST50, how do the two compare? Would you say they are in the same league (when it comes to price/performance) and its just a different flavor?
They're both quite different. The EST50s are v-shaped whereas the Quattros emphasis the midrange more. Both are quite bassy but the Quattros feature more midbass whereas the EST50s tend to emphasis sub slightly.

The EST50s are significantly brighter with EST treble, with a slightly wider but shallower soundstage, a midrange that can occasionally sound a tad hollow and definitely doesn't possess the Quattros' superb tonality which is their great strength. The Quattros' two bass drivers are also faster than the DD in the EST50, and will keep up with faster music better. They also feel more coherent. The Quattro stock cable gives me the impressions of being significantly higher quality and I find their shells are slightly more comfortable as well, though both are similarly sized. The Quattros are very smooth, more refined and much darker in the treble than the EST50s.

The EST50s remain a solid choice at their price if you're after a v-shaped set of IEMs, perhaps if you've never owned a pair with EST drivers and want to see what the fuss is about. For my personal taste I'd choose the Quattros hands down without a second thought, nothing else I've heard is quite like them especially at their price. They absolutely nail the kind of sound they're going for, the only question is whether that's the kind of sound you want.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #13,292 of 13,727
Did you not enjoy the Elysian Pilgrim? Most Canjam impressions of it I've read have been fairly positive though I think some people have issue with its' upper midrange.
No, it sucked. Wouldn't even pay $100 for it, in its current state. The hype around it is stupid imo.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #13,293 of 13,727
No, it sucked. Wouldn't even pay $100 for it, in its current state. The hype around it is stupid imo.
Well, it didn't suck...it might need some more refinement, but if they do refine it, it will be a killer at $400. Hard to get the elysian tuning with decent bass for under $3000.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #13,294 of 13,727

They're both quite different. The EST50s are v-shaped whereas the Quattros emphasis the midrange more. Both are quite bassy but the Quattros feature more midbass whereas the EST50s tend to emphasis sub slightly.

The EST50s are significantly brighter with EST treble, with a slightly wider but shallower soundstage, a midrange that can occasionally sound a tad hollow and definitely doesn't possess the Quattros' superb tonality which is their great strength. The Quattros' two bass drivers are also faster than the DD in the EST50, and will keep up with faster music better. They also feel more coherent. The Quattro stock cable gives me the impressions of being significantly higher quality and I find their shells are slightly more comfortable as well, though both are similarly sized. The Quattros are very smooth, more refined and much darker in the treble than the EST50s.

The EST50s remain a solid choice at their price if you're after a v-shaped set of IEMs, perhaps if you've never owned a pair with EST drivers and want to see what the fuss is about. For my personal taste I'd choose the Quattros hands down without a second thought, nothing else I've heard is quite like them especially at their price. They absolutely nail the kind of sound they're going for, the only question is whether that's the kind of sound you want.
Thanks for the detailed response, sounds like I made the right choice (I like some extra spice up top) :) This pair is mainly for fun (electronic music, hip-hop and rock) and your description sounds like it will be perfect for my use case

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #13,295 of 13,727
Well, it didn't suck...it might need some more refinement, but if they do refine it, it will be a killer at $400. Hard to get the elysian tuning with decent bass for under $3000.
I thought it sounded terrible, worse than most Chi-fi under $200 these days. I don't care who makes or tunes an IEM, if it sounds bad to me, it sounds bad.

It's still a prototype, so they'll most likely change/improve it, but I don't get the hype surrounding it. Seems like people who did listen to it aren't being genuine with their feedback.

Just because it has Elysian's name attached to it and the rumored $400 price tag, doesn't mean it's a good IEM at all. I do hope they make it much better than what they brought to CanJam because I'd be embarrassed to show that thing again to the public in its current state.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #13,296 of 13,727
I thought it sounded terrible, worse than most Chi-fi under $200 these days. I don't care who makes or tunes an IEM, if it sounds bad to me, it sounds bad.

It's still a prototype, so they'll most likely change/improve it, but I don't get the hype surrounding it. Seems like people who did listen to it aren't being genuine with their feedback.

Just because it has Elysian's name attached to it and the rumored $400 price tag, doesn't mean it's a good IEM at all. I do hope they make it much better than what they brought to CanJam because I'd be embarrassed to show that thing again to the public in its current state.
This just makes me want to hear it even more. I'd love to know which side I fall on

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #13,297 of 13,727
This just makes me want to hear it even more. I'd love to know which side I fall on
They'll most likely change it a lot by the time you hear it, for their own sake. Hopefully it gets significantly improved before release because it's utter trash right now.

Anyway, I'm done talking about that IEM in this thread. It has nothing to do with Penon.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #13,298 of 13,727
So I placed my first order from the Penon website : the ISN Audio NEO 1 as a test . Shipping time to Belgian customs : 11 days which is to be expected .
Unfortunately I had to pay 29,37 euro for a $39 order ! Can this be avoided by paying 10$ extra for express service or do I need to use the tax-inlusive shipping method ?

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #13,299 of 13,727
So I placed my first order from the Penon website : the ISN Audio NEO 1 as a test . Shipping time to Belgian customs : 11 days which is to be expected .
Unfortunately I had to pay 29,37 euro for a $39 order ! Can this be avoided by paying 10$ extra for express service or do I need to use the tax-inlusive shipping method ?
Since I also ordered for the first time recently: tax-inclusive is a must for avoiding taxes. Downside is, that it may take longer than express shipping.

I actually paid for express (1$ on an order of 400+) and they sent it out using the tax-inclusive shipping. Not mad because it should arrive in a timely matter without paying taxes (tracking says its already in EU and cleared customs, so it definitely works).

When you actually use express shipping, it will most likely be something like DHL. They are known for extensive costs when it comes to imports (its faster but you gotta pay taxes + service fees).

Almost 30€ on a 39$ order seems excessive though, maybe contact Penon and ask them if its normal (import tax for Belgium should be 21% -> so total on your order should be under 10€)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #13,300 of 13,727
Since I also ordered for the first time recently: tax-inclusive is a must for avoiding taxes. Downside is, that it may take longer than express shipping.

I actually paid for express (1$ on an order of 400+) and they sent it out using the tax-inclusive shipping. Not mad because it should arrive in a timely matter without paying taxes (tracking says its already in EU and cleared customs, so it definitely works).

When you actually use express shipping, it will most likely be something like DHL. They are known for extensive costs when it comes to imports (its faster but you gotta pay taxes + service fees).

Almost 30€ on a 39$ order seems excessive though, maybe contact Penon and ask them if its normal (import tax for Belgium should be 21% -> so total on your order should be under 10€)
Belgian customs fees were 18,5 euro , there's nothing that Penon can do about that. But that's why I did it : to find out how much it costs and also to find out just how good the ISN Neo1 is :ksc75smile:

Mar 16, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #13,301 of 13,727
Belgian customs fees were 18,5 euro , there's nothing that Penon can do about that. But that's why I did it : to find out how much it costs and also to find out just how good the ISN Neo1 is :ksc75smile:
Same French customs fees :wink:, for me : 19€
That should be the first time I had to pay customs fees for an order coming from Penon.
I think that's because they send my TSMR-x in express shipping, after chinese new year.
In general, express shipping means custom fees contrary to normal shipping.

Mar 16, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #13,303 of 13,727
So how should we ask for Europe?
Depends on the country. My TSMR-X from Penon arrived in about 17 days without any customs to Hungary. I choose Free shipping.

I order a plethora of things mainly from China and get customs very rarely (about 1 in 100).

On the other side, DHL, FedEx and similar always do customs with a noticable fee.

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #13,304 of 13,727
So how should we ask for Europe?
I asked pennon before i ordered. They told me select express shipping, and no tax in france. So maybe ask first?

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #13,305 of 13,727
Same French customs fees :wink:, for me : 19€
That should be the first time I had to pay customs fees for an order coming from Penon.
I think that's because they send my TSMR-x in express shipping, after chinese new year.
In general, express shipping means custom fees contrary to normal shipping.
I guess we're both unlucky because I used normal shipping with the same result 😡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back