The PENON official thread
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #12,346 of 13,661
After I jived with Quattro, I started to appreciate the little IEM more and more. Initially I was disappointed out of the box, but now I am reaching more and more for Quattro. Even though I still do not change my perception of Quattro in term of technical capability, I tried to understand why the sound of Quattro appeals to me instead of simply saying its sound is very analog. It is not the bass, even though the sub-bass is pretty good; it is not just the midrange, though the midrange is more forward, it is definitely not treble.

I finally reached my conclusion: the true strength of Quattro is in its timbre, it reminds me of ZMF Atrium, a $2,500+ headphone.

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #12,347 of 13,661
After I jived with Quattro, I started to appreciate the little IEM more and more. Initially I was disappointed out of the box, but now I am reaching more and more for Quattro. Even though I still do not change my perception of Quattro in term of technical capability, I tried to understand why the sound of Quattro appeals to me instead of simply saying its sound is very analog. It is not the bass, even though the sub-bass is pretty good; it is not just the midrange, though the midrange is more forward, it is definitely not treble.

I finally reached my conclusion: the true strength of Quattro is in its timbre, it reminds me of ZMF Atrium, a $2,500+ headphone.
While I don’t own the Atrium, I am confident from what you wrote that I hear what you hear, at least partially. And I 100% agree - Quattro is really a pleasure to listen to. Folks should realize that like any other IEM, the Quattro is not going to be everything to everyone, but for many of us its combination of strengths and quirks is what has us reaching for it.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #12,348 of 13,661

While I don’t own the Atrium, I am confident from what you wrote that I hear what you hear, at least partially. And I 100% agree - Quattro is really a pleasure to listen to. Folks should realize that like any other IEM, the Quattro is not going to be everything to everyone, but for many of us its combination of strengths and quirks is what has us reaching for it.

Quattro is definitely a pleasure to listen to! I'm finding that I'm loving it more and more by the day, even when I had such strong impressions of it out of the box. The timbre is definitely some of the best I've heard. Everything just sounds right on the Quattro. And contrary to whats been stated, I find the Quattro to be very technically impressive. The stock cable, although looks great, doesn't realize the Quattro's full potential. I had to throw a pure silver cable on there to really bring out it's finer details and expand its soundstage. I found that anything with too much copper in it makes the Quattro sound too muddy and incoherent to me.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #12,349 of 13,661
Quattro is definitely a pleasure to listen to! I'm finding that I'm loving it more and more by the day, even when I had such strong impressions of it out of the box. The timbre is definitely some of the best I've heard. Everything just sounds right on the Quattro. And contrary to whats been stated, I find the Quattro to be very technically impressive. The stock cable, although looks great, doesn't realize the Quattro's full potential. I had to throw a pure silver cable on there to really bring out it's finer details and expand its soundstage. I found that anything with too much copper in it makes the Quattro sound too muddy and incoherent to me.
You are right, cable rolling is a must, not saying the stock cable is bad, but code 24, and right now Plussound SPC XL, both are silver plated copper cables, work wonderfully with Quattro.

The tunning of Quattro makes silver plated (or even silver) increase clarity without adding sibilance.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #12,350 of 13,661
Just got the orange tips and they enhance the quattro in just about everyway possible. The bass is getting more into its own being able to reproduce different bass with their own character and variations. (Kick drums kick more realistically, deep/mid bass from my electronic/pop tracks sound more different from one another, etc.). More cohesion between drivers where the bass, mids, and treble harmonize together unlike any other tip I tried before. The mids are more liquid with sibilance and upper mids harshness has been tamed while still retaining excellent texture. Treble is more airy and defined with soundstage expanding a bit with much better imaging placement. TL;DR: Timbral accuracy/variation improved, improved musicality, more air, better staging, almost magical coherency.

Glad your digging on the orange tips. Been using both the black and orange tips a lot myself lately. That perfect seal is everything when it comes to tips. It sounds like your describing the Quattro after burn in as much as what the tips are doing.

Interesting how Penon finally released the Quattro a month after they were supposed to. At the same time we have plenty of impressions now about the Quattro here on the thread. Maybe it was designed that way? Hmm could we see more secret launches for future Penon products?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #12,351 of 13,661
Glad your digging on the orange tips. Been using both the black and orange tips a lot myself lately. That perfect seal is everything when it comes to tips. It sounds like your describing the Quattro after burn in as much as what the tips are doing.

Interesting how Penon finally released the Quattro a month after they were supposed to. At the same time we have plenty of impressions now about the Quattro here on the thread. Maybe it was designed that way? Hmm could we see more secret launches for future Penon products?

Does Quattro come with the new tips? Does not look like orange or black are pictured as being included on Penon's site.

Jan 9, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #12,355 of 13,661
+1 on the silver cable pairing with Quattro. I'm using Tri Wolfram and think they sound great together!

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #12,357 of 13,661
under €60 do you think that this cable
https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005006109882656.html?channel=twinner
or this
https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005005276673465.html?channel=twinner
are good options?

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #12,358 of 13,661
Honestly I think @Dsnuts would be a better bet in telling you which is better. I would assume the first link is the better of the two but I could be wrong. Personally I have a custom silver litz cable made by a friend of mine so it's not something I bought online. But anyway, what are your thoughts Dsnuts?

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #12,359 of 13,661
--- Wrong quote, sorry

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #12,360 of 13,661
I think I saw the first cable in a photo of @ToneDeafMonk with the Quattro. Maybe he can advise you on this synergy.
Another option within your price range could be this one, which our colleague @-rowan- always recommends (and some others, forgive me, but I don't remember who was the original discoverer). I myself have one on the way with the New Year sale.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back