The PENON official thread
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #12,331 of 13,813
Tried swapping cables on the Quattro (still early hours in, around 6hrs). ISN S4 was definitely not the way to go. While it improved clarity over the stock cables, it took away too much from the bottom end, particularly the lovely subbas and the soundstage was narrowed. Overall the sound also got thinner which contributed to some sense of clarity but also felt less impactful.

Penon space definitely did as its name says and increased the soundstage in terms of width and separation and precision of the instrument imaging over the stock cable. Mids seemed to have more space to breathe and grew bigger and stood out more which really suited my taste. While bass was still present and good, it lacked that subwoofer like subbass rumble compared to the stock cable. However, perhaps as a result of the reduced bass presence, treble details shined slightly more.

Overall, I went back to the stock cable because I wanted that sub bass growl and heavy lush tone that to me is the trademark of the Quattro. I'm left scratching my head on what cable could help retain the subbass growl while bringing mids/ upper mids slightly more forward and opening up the stage more to let all parts of the sound come through distinctly. In the end I might prefer the space over the stock cable with more listening but curious what other options are out there around the same price that could give what I'm looking for...

Edit: All impressions done with divinus velvet tips.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #12,332 of 13,813
I'm left scratching my head on what cable could help retain the subbass growl while bringing mids/ upper mids slightly more forward and opening up the stage more to let all parts of the sound come through distinctly

Sounds like the Asos.

Also enjoying the ISN GC4 (I hope I got that model number right) with it.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #12,333 of 13,813
PENON QUATTRO is officially released now! :relaxed:

https://penonaudio.com/Penon-QUATTRO

Penon-Quattro IEMs.jpg

PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #12,334 of 13,813
As previously mentioned, the Quattro is an IEM that stays in my collection forever.
Only reason I would buy another is as a replacement if (God forbid) something happened to mine or if I was gifting one to someone else.
I was skeptical on just how amazing these were until I heard them myself.
Truly a work of art and the epitome of why I adore Penon.
Bravo
Hey Cobra! how is it compared to the fan2's? What are the differences? Is it too bassy?

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #12,335 of 13,813
Sounds like the Asos.

Also enjoying the ISN GC4 (I hope I got that model number right) with it.
Yes, the GC4 is an amazing cable, nothing exactly like it! It also goes to somehow be the cable to show how the lower stage is different between the Reecho OVA and Reecho Dawn? Where the Dawn included cable make the midrange and treble details totally noticeable between the Dawn and OVA. There is somehow a thickness and a sculpturing of bass and lower midrange details with the ISN GC4? An opening of detail showing that the two Reecho’s are all n fact the same model number but different drivers entirely?

A) Reecho SG-01 OVA: Single full-range 10mm with 7 microns Graphene Composite Diaphragm:

B) Reecho SG-01 Dawn: Single full-range 10mm Carbon Nano Diaphragm:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #12,336 of 13,813
Tried swapping cables on the Quattro (still early hours in, around 6hrs). ISN S4 was definitely not the way to go. While it improved clarity over the stock cables, it took away too much from the bottom end, particularly the lovely subbas and the soundstage was narrowed. Overall the sound also got thinner which contributed to some sense of clarity but also felt less impactful.

Penon space definitely did as its name says and increased the soundstage in terms of width and separation and precision of the instrument imaging over the stock cable. Mids seemed to have more space to breathe and grew bigger and stood out more which really suited my taste. While bass was still present and good, it lacked that subwoofer like subbass rumble compared to the stock cable. However, perhaps as a result of the reduced bass presence, treble details shined slightly more.

Overall, I went back to the stock cable because I wanted that sub bass growl and heavy lush tone that to me is the trademark of the Quattro. I'm left scratching my head on what cable could help retain the subbass growl while bringing mids/ upper mids slightly more forward and opening up the stage more to let all parts of the sound come through distinctly. In the end I might prefer the space over the stock cable with more listening but curious what other options are out there around the same price that could give what I'm looking for...

Eletech Raphael. But the cable costs $450-$500 and it exactly does what you're asking for.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #12,338 of 13,813
For that price, I'll just buy another Quattro. I'm not into big spending on cables, yet...

I find the Quattro's cable just fine.
Better off funding a new source.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #12,339 of 13,813
For that price, I'll just buy another Quattro. I'm not into big spending on cables, yet...

I find the Quattro's cable just fine.
The original poster that was asking the question wanted certain sound improvements while hearing Quattro. Buying another quattro isn't going to solve the issue. One of the option to get those improvements is to swap cables (even though it might be expensive).

For many Quattro with its stock cable would be perfectly fine. For some, that are looking for specific improvements, cable rolling is an option.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #12,342 of 13,813
I'm left scratching my head on what cable could help retain the subbass growl while bringing mids/ upper mids slightly more forward and opening up the stage more to let all parts of the sound come through distinctly.
Eletech Raphael. But the cable costs $450-$500 and it exactly does what you're asking for.

GC4 has more bass and more open highs, Raph has lusher mids. I enjoy both with Quattro, but Raph and Impact in particular are a match made in heaven imo so that’s where it stays.

IMG_1028.jpeg

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #12,344 of 13,813

Try Code 24, it's a magic! I know, I am talking about a $799 cable but you can also use this cable for other IEMs.

BTW, my Quattro is getting much better after just a few hours' burn-in. Absolute a steal at the price!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #12,345 of 13,813
Just got the orange tips and they enhance the quattro in just about everyway possible. The bass is getting more into its own being able to reproduce different bass with their own character and variations. (Kick drums kick more realistically, deep/mid bass from my electronic/pop tracks sound more different from one another, etc.). More cohesion between drivers where the bass, mids, and treble harmonize together unlike any other tip I tried before. The mids are more liquid with sibilance and upper mids harshness has been tamed while still retaining excellent texture. Treble is more airy and defined with soundstage expanding a bit with much better imaging placement. TL;DR: Timbral accuracy/variation improved, improved musicality, more air, better staging, almost magical coherency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back