The PENON official thread
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #12,316 of 13,813
So is there is reason why impact is 6 times the price of Quattro? Wonder what Quattro lacks compared to impact.

Two wildly different tunings and driver configurations. The Impact is a Traillii competitor so has been priced accordingly by Penon.

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #12,317 of 13,813
Two wildly different tunings and driver configurations. The Impact is a Traillii competitor so has been priced accordingly by Penon.
Thanks. Any feedback is appreciated.

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #12,318 of 13,813
So is there is reason why impact is 6 times the price of Quattro? Wonder what Quattro lacks compared to impact.
Balanced armatures are much more expensive than dynamic drivers, and estats are way more expensive than both, and there's many more drivers than the quattro (4dd vs 10ba+4est).

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #12,319 of 13,813
Midfi level stuff really is where its at in value for sound IMO. Once you get into mega buck category it is all about the little minute details for its sound presentation. You get treble that has more articulations to it. You get mids that have better layering with a more dimensional imaging. You get bass that is more nuanced with better texture. But these things are more nit picky stuff in regards to sound. In other words diminishing returns is for real.

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #12,320 of 13,813
Balanced armatures are much more expensive than dynamic drivers, and estats are way more expensive than both, and there's many more drivers than the quattro (4dd vs 10ba+4est).
In general, yes. But there are 3 DD/13 BA iems like trifecta/phonix which cost $3.3k/4.1k which is much higher cost than impacts 10ba/4est. Probably more with brand and tunings.

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #12,321 of 13,813
Midfi level stuff really is where its at in value for sound IMO. Once you get into mega buck category it is all about the little minute details for its sound presentation. You get treble that has more articulations to it. You get mids that have better layering with a more dimensional imaging. You get bass that is more nuanced with better texture. But these things are more nit picky stuff in regards to sound. In other words diminishing returns is for real.
Totally agree.

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #12,322 of 13,813
This is real. Sometimes the flagships of some brands are not quoted with the price of the components, plus the hours of development and fine-tuning and a profit margin, but with: "it sounds like a 3k IEM, well I put it at 2, 5k" There comes a time when the cost is exponential. For small improvements the cost skyrockets.

Jan 8, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #12,323 of 13,813
Well put together.

I've been on the fence of buying a >1k iem, but have been spending more on Midfi, aka Penon, and their sound is fantastic.

Also gives me second thoughs if it's really worth it, guess that's a question for me to answer. Definitely is wiser to spend it in several Penon, ISN, etc.

I would help to audition an expensive iem to value if is truly worth it.

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #12,324 of 13,813
As someone that generally swims in the 1000-2500 waters Quattro could easily cost 1299. And it would be a good value.

It’s also a very unique sounding set. I’m still trying to come up with accurate and understandable verbiage to describe my thoughts. One thing ill say is that i reach for them a lot.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #12,326 of 13,813
Sooo.... I could live with both Canon and 10th for sure. 10th is I guess a bit warmer, but also a tiny bit "woolier" in the bass vs Canon. For metal I would prefer the Canon, on the other songs I feel both is good. Personally I like Canon best with all switches off😅. One thing to be aware of is the massive difference in size and fit. Here the Canon is a clear winner for me! Now I might not be the best to compare IEM's, I have a super short auditory memory, and soon to be 52 year old ears😂. Have to use the Fosi 4x amp to compare. Not the best for sound, but it is an even playing field with the possibility to quickly swap between IEM's. I borrowed TDM's graph, thanks!IMG_2750.jpegIMG_2749.jpeggraph.png
OG Canon is underrated

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #12,327 of 13,813
Well put together.

I've been on the fence of buying a >1k iem, but have been spending more on Midfi, aka Penon, and their sound is fantastic.

Also gives me second thoughs if it's really worth it, guess that's a question for me to answer. Definitely is wiser to spend it in several Penon, ISN, etc.

I would help to audition an expensive iem to value if is truly worth it.
For me the Serial could be my one and only. I have a few sets in the 1k region and having heard 3-4k sets the 1k is my sweet spot for really good sound across the board. When I listen with the serial it gives me all the musical pleasure I require and plays everything I listen to really well. I find the more expensive iems become more genre specific and do certain things extremely well but not everything. I highly recommend listening to as many high end sets that you can and see if you want to spend the money and if it is worthwhile. Trying out many expensive things at Can Jam helped give me perspective regarding the idea of diminishing returns.

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #12,328 of 13,813
For me the Serial could be my one and only. I have a few sets in the 1k region and having heard 3-4k sets the 1k is my sweet spot for really good sound across the board. When I listen with the serial it gives me all the musical pleasure I require and plays everything I listen to really well. I find the more expensive iems become more genre specific and do certain things extremely well but not everything. I highly recommend listening to as many high end sets as you can and see if you want to spend the money and if it is worthwhile. Trying out many expensive things at Can Jam helped give me perspective regarding the idea of diminishing returns.
Thanks! Got to plan that trip, to Can Jam.

Hope they set one in Miami/ FL

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #12,329 of 13,813
As someone that generally swims in the 1000-2500 waters Quattro could easily cost 1299. And it would be a good value.

It’s also a very unique sounding set. I’m still trying to come up with accurate and understandable verbiage to describe my thoughts. One thing ill say is that i reach for them a lot.
I was thinking the same thing earlier. Of course, that's after adding an EA Code 23 cable ($700 retail) and playing thru Shanling M9+.

If I played that combo for almost anyone here on head fi, and didn't reveal the ingredients, they would guess $2k iem at least, maybe more, when the IEM is the cheapest part of the combo!

Quattro continuing to amaze me obviously 🤣

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #12,330 of 13,813
I've read some Quattro impressions that say it makes the Serial redundant and others that say they can co-exist. I can't not pick up a Quattro after I received that nice wallet from Penon haha. I suppose I could always sell one off but does anyone feel either way after a few more Quattros have made it out to customers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back