The PENON official thread
Jan 10, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #12,361 of 13,835
I think I saw the first cable in a photo of @ToneDeafMonk with the Quattro. Maybe he can advise you on this synergy.
Another option within your price range could be this one, which our colleague @-rowan- always recommends (and some others, forgive me, but I don't remember who was the original discoverer). I myself have one on the way with the New Year sale.
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately your link takes me to aliexpress main page and i can't which cable you are indicating. Can you put the name here and i will search? Thanks again

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #12,362 of 13,835
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately your link takes me to aliexpress main page and i can't which cable you are indicating. Can you put the name here and i will search? Thanks again
I'm sorry, even though I put it as just text, it gives it as a link when publishing. Try just copying and pasting the text, that works for me. https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005357155557.html It's a two core palladium plated silver Xinhs.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #12,363 of 13,835
Jan 10, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #12,364 of 13,835
It worked that way!
Thanks for your patience and help.
Normally I wouldn't recommend an Ali-Express cable, especially without having tried it myself. I have never trusted that the declared materials or purity are real. But this one in particular has been recommended several times on the forum by reputable colleagues, and for that reason I ordered one myself a few days ago. Seeing your requirements, it came to mind immediately.

The one I use right now for my Quattro, with excellent results for my taste, is this one: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004393109690.html

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #12,365 of 13,835
Jan 10, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #12,366 of 13,835
Another option within your price range could be this one, which our colleague @-rowan- always recommends (and some others, forgive me, but I don't remember who was the original discoverer). I myself have one on the way with the New Year sale.

I think i will order the modular (two core palladium plated silver Xinhs)

Thanks @BrokenHill - you have quite a few excellent cables but I hope you enjoy yours when it arrives!

@pevinkarker I may have missed something at the start of your request but were you looking to change any aspect of the Quattro stock cable’s sound in particular?

As it happens, I have neither the Quattro nor the Xinhs silver palladium on me at the moment, but the notes that I took suggest that it increases the amount of bass compared to the Quattro stock cable (even though it in itself is not a particularly bassy cable) and is relatively more relaxed and less “technical”-sounding than stock. FWIW, here are my earlier impressions with the Impact, Vortex and 10th:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-penon-official-thread.934523/post-17638287
I wish I could provide fresh impressions with the Quattro though.

Just got the orange tips and they enhance the quattro in just about everyway possible. The bass is getting more into its own being able to reproduce different bass with their own character and variations. (Kick drums kick more realistically, deep/mid bass from my electronic/pop tracks sound more different from one another, etc.). More cohesion between drivers where the bass, mids, and treble harmonize together unlike any other tip I tried before. The mids are more liquid with sibilance and upper mids harshness has been tamed while still retaining excellent texture. Treble is more airy and defined with soundstage expanding a bit with much better imaging placement. TL;DR: Timbral accuracy/variation improved, improved musicality, more air, better staging, almost magical coherency.

This just about describes the Quattro exactly as I hear them! I’m glad someone else is getting good results from these tips. They’ve been excellent for achieving a good seal on a number of potentially finicky IEMs as well

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #12,367 of 13,835
I do notice with change of tips just how much bass you want from the Quattros. Some might prefer the full on bass but some might want a more balanced take. Just know if you guys feel the Quattro can be a bit too bassy for you. Try some of your other tips.

At this point, since the Orange and black tips from Penon matches so well with the Quattros. It is a no brainer to order a set while ordering the Quattros. Not to mention they will give some of the best seal for any type of tip out there.

The new NEO3 is not as tip sensitive as the Quattros but they benefit huge from larger wider bored tips vs anything narrow. On this partiuclar IEM the wider the bore the grander the sound is what it comes down to.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #12,368 of 13,835
I do notice with change of tips just how much bass you want from the Quattros. Some might prefer the full on bass but some might want a more balanced take. Just know if you guys feel the Quattro can be a bit too bassy for you. Try some of your other tips.

At this point, since the Orange and black tips from Penon matches so well with the Quattros. It is a no brainer to order a set while ordering the Quattros. Not to mention they will give some of the best seal for any type of tip out there.

The new NEO3 is not as tip sensitive as the Quattros but they benefit huge from larger wider bored tips vs anything narrow. On this partiuclar IEM the wider the bore the grander the sound is what it comes down to.

I really enjoyed your early impressions of the NEO3. Looking forward to it.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #12,369 of 13,835
Gotta hand it to Penon. I was thinking they might be designing a hybrid or tribrid or a single dynamic or even a planar type IEM next but out of the blue they design a dynamic hybrid with a planar for trebles. Not to mention the thing will cost half the price of the Quattros.

I have discovered that Penon is very methodical when it comes to new product releases. Nothing happens on chance with them.

If I had a single complaint about the new NEO3 is its included cable which is a standard OCC type copper cable. Its ok but it will be the first thing people replace on the NEO3. I get it as its a $200 IEM and not a $400 one like the Quattros. I feel the included OCC cable hampers the sound a touch especially in the treble region. Leans the tonal character slight into the warm category which is not a bad thing depending on ones taste in sound. Its not officially released yet but I will suggest to Penon if they can include an SPC type instead.

Going back n forth from the included Quattro cable to the included OCC stock cable, you can tell they are more limited on the level of cable they can include on the NEO3.
This being said the NEO3 when that is released will be a hot seller for ISN and Penon. I have zero boubts on that.

I seen some concerns on the ISN thread mentioning smaller dynamics can't do bass like a larger dynamic. Yes and no. It really comes down to material/design and a proper know how to manipulate the smaller dynamic for full bass impact and rumble. ISN has not disclosed what type of 6mm dynamic it is using but its got a full load when it comes to bass. No lack in quantity and once burn in takes place has surprising quality on top of that. Not the speediest bass due to the emphasis but nothing sloppy either. The bass end is going to surprise a lot of people. Heck the entire sound will surprise people. This is the fun and immersive version of the tuning thats on the Quattro and Serials.

And while I clearly admit the Quattro is easily the higher end sounding IEM here. The NEO3 engaging immersive factor is its trump card. Its got this spacious intimacy to the sound that is just addictive. And who don't like them some intimacy.:smirk:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #12,370 of 13,835
Thanks @BrokenHill - you have quite a few excellent cables but I hope you enjoy yours when it arrives!

@pevinkarker I may have missed something at the start of your request but were you looking to change any aspect of the Quattro stock cable’s sound in particular?

As it happens, I have neither the Quattro nor the Xinhs silver palladium on me at the moment, but the notes that I took suggest that it increases the amount of bass compared to the Quattro stock cable (even though it in itself is not a particularly bassy cable) and is relatively more relaxed and less “technical”-sounding than stock. FWIW, here are my earlier impressions with the Impact, Vortex and 10th:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-penon-official-thread.934523/post-17638287
I wish I could provide fresh impressions with the Quattro though.

This just about describes the Quattro exactly as I hear them! I’m glad someone else is getting good results from these tips. They’ve been excellent for achieving a good seal on a number of potentially finicky IEMs as well
I don't dislike the stock cable but i was looking if i could improve the soundstage on classical pieces, especially when there is a lot of instruments playing at same time at a full range, if i could feel a bigger stage and not as they were playing at a more confined place..
I don't know if this makes sense to you but i can't express it better in English, sorry.

But i'm really happy with it and everyday it seems that i like the sound more and more (i settle with spiral dots tips as i don't have penon newest tips yet)

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #12,371 of 13,835
I don't dislike the stock cable but i was looking if i could improve the soundstage on classical pieces, especially when there is a lot of instruments playing at same time at a full range, if i could feel a bigger stage and not as they were playing at a more confined place..
I don't know if this makes sense to you but i can't express it better in English, sorry.

But i'm really happy with it and everyday it seems that i like the sound more and more (i settle with spiral dots tips as i don't have penon newest tips yet)

Yes, you express yourself perfectly well in English. Honestly? I’d order those orange tips and try those first. Out of everything I’ve tried with the Quattro so far, there hasn’t been anything a mile within its price range that synergizes quite as well when it comes to optimizing timbre and air. You’ll have funds left for that cable if you still want it - just be sure to get it when it’s discounted at the next AE sale and not in between.

Quoting this again because it sounds like what you’re after:
TL;DR: Timbral accuracy/variation improved, improved musicality, more air, better staging, almost magical coherency

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #12,372 of 13,835
Gotta hand it to Penon. I was thinking they might be designing a hybrid or tribrid or a single dynamic or even a planar type IEM next but out of the blue they design a dynamic hybrid with a planar for trebles. Not to mention the thing will cost half the price of the Quattros.

I have discovered that Penon is very methodical when it comes to new product releases. Nothing happens on chance with them.

If I had a single complaint about the new NEO3 is its included cable which is a standard OCC type copper cable. Its ok but it will be the first thing people replace on the NEO3. I get it as its a $200 IEM and not a $400 one like the Quattros. I feel the included OCC cable hampers the sound a touch especially in the treble region. Leans the tonal character slight into the warm category which is not a bad thing depending on ones taste in sound. Its not officially released yet but I will suggest to Penon if they can include an SPC type instead.

Going back n forth from the included Quattro cable to the included OCC stock cable, you can tell they are more limited on the level of cable they can include on the NEO3.
This being said the NEO3 when that is released will be a hot seller for ISN and Penon. I have zero boubts on that.

I seen some concerns on the ISN thread mentioning smaller dynamics can't do bass like a larger dynamic. Yes and no. It really comes down to material/design and a proper know how to manipulate the smaller dynamic for full bass impact and rumble. ISN has not disclosed what type of 6mm dynamic it is using but its got a full load when it comes to bass. No lack in quantity and once burn in takes place has surprising quality on top of that. Not the speediest bass due to the emphasis but nothing sloppy either. The bass end is going to surprise a lot of people. Heck the entire sound will surprise people. This is the fun and immersive version of the tuning thats on the Quattro and Serials.

And while I clearly admit the Quattro is easily the higher end sounding IEM here. The NEO3 engaging immersive factor is its trump card. Its got this spacious intimacy to the sound that is just addictive. And who don't like them some intimacy.:smirk:

I like these Dynamic and Planar Hybrids. The 10mm Sapphire plated dynamic on the Moondrop May was a good choice for example. The fun and immersive factor is exactly what I get from that set, so I'm excited to see what Penon does here.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #12,373 of 13,835
Yes, you express yourself perfectly well in English. Honestly? I’d order those orange tips and try those first. Out of everything I’ve tried with the Quattro so far, there hasn’t been anything a mile within its price range that synergizes quite as well when it comes to optimizing timbre and air. You’ll have funds left for that cable if you still want it - just be sure to get it when it’s discounted at the next AE sale and not in between.

Quoting this again because it sounds like what you’re after:
I have those tips in my cart since they were available on their site, i will order them now. Thanks!

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #12,374 of 13,835
Trying to conclude some stuff before pulling the trigger on the Quattro. So compared to the 10th AE, the Quattro bass has extends and slams more, has better timbre and better treble? The soundstage is smaller than the 10th but it's more intimate? After listening to the 10th I can understand what people mean between more fun and technical sounding IEMs... It made me realize I want more sub bass rumble and while still hearing the a good separation between the instruments. From what I'm reading the Quattro will deliver that. But i'd love some confirmations aha.

Also the space cable and and bass give awesome flavors to the 10th. The separation on the space gives is paradise to exactly what I wanted and surprisingly the bass cable's mids and soundstage sound are really good.

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #12,375 of 13,835
So compared to the 10th AE, the Quattro bass has extends and slams more, has better timbre and better treble?

For me, yes to all. The 10th has a good deal of mid bass as well as sub but doesn’t dive as deep as I would like. Quattro is all about timbre. It has better separation and layering too imo. And it depends on what you consider “better treble”. 10th has more treble, both upper and lower but Quattro’s is more nuanced imo. I’ve come to realise that how we perceive treble can also come down to how much of it comes within our individual hearing ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back