The PENON official thread
Jan 7, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #12,301 of 13,661
Best jam session yet! And the Quattro's sucking up the power every bit the XDUOO XD05 PRO can throw out and more. Not dark sounding with the ESS great synergy.

Attachments

• 20240107_205645.jpg
    20240107_205645.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240105_183231.jpg
    20240105_183231.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #12,302 of 13,661
So in order to truly enjoy the Quattros i need a $500 source and EA cadmus equivalent cable for it to sound as it should? Wait i forgot the ESS based DAC :D

EDIT: Its a joke ... fanboisss dont hate on me

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #12,303 of 13,661
Best jam session yet! And the Quattro's sucking up the power every bit the XDUOO XD05 PRO can throw out and more. Not dark sounding with the ESS great synergy.
Yes, the Quattro's need a brighter source (ESS DAC) to sound it's best. That's been my experience anyway. A warmer sounding DAC like the Mojo make it sound to too warm and dull. Throw on a good silver cable on it, and it really shines!

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #12,304 of 13,661
Still couldn't get my hand to the Quattro.

1704708420346.png

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #12,305 of 13,661
Upcoming Penon hybrid flagship: 2DD/4BA/4EST.

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #12,306 of 13,661
Thanks a lot for the really helpful response :) I wasn't considering the Quattro as much only because I hadn't heard as much about it, but I'm very interested having read these recent comparisons. I definitely prefer quite a full sound, prioritising warmth rather than technical clarity and space between the instruments (why I don't like my S12 Pros except for metal), which makes me lean towards the Quattros based on some of what people have said. I think my priorities are having a forward, impactful midrange, but with a fair bit of bass to support it, more to add warmth and lushness to the sound rather than to give rumble and thump (though that is fun too!)

And in response to Erkil:

Thanks a lot :) Sure, a few songs I really like that I've been listening to a lot recently when comparing IEMs are:
  • Lana Del Rey - The Greatest (one of my favourites and a very full sound to stretch the IEMs)
  • Carly Rae Jepsen - Psychedelic Switch (pop song driven by female vocals which also needs fun bass e.g. in the chorus)
  • FKA Twigs - Cellophane (seeing female vocal impact across a broad range)
  • Sufjan Stevens - Vesuvius (male vocals with very layered sound)
  • Depeche Mode - In Your Room (male vocals in deeper register)
  • Fleetwood Mac - Albatross (instrumental to test how impactful the fullness and warmth of the sound is)
  • And then there are a few metal songs I also use, but if an IEM is good for the above five songs I tend to find it's not as good for metal (where the warmth doesn't work as well). A good all-rounder metal song I use to test the metal side is Slough Feg - Vargr Theme / Confrontation (Genetic Prophesy)
Don't feel obliged to test them all, but any impressions on the two IEMs for some of these would be appreciated! I used to listen to my Canons on 110 before I lost them, if that helps. Thanks again!

Sooo.... I could live with both Canon and 10th for sure. 10th is I guess a bit warmer, but also a tiny bit "woolier" in the bass vs Canon. For metal I would prefer the Canon, on the other songs I feel both is good. Personally I like Canon best with all switches off😅. One thing to be aware of is the massive difference in size and fit. Here the Canon is a clear winner for me! Now I might not be the best to compare IEM's, I have a super short auditory memory, and soon to be 52 year old ears😂. Have to use the Fosi 4x amp to compare. Not the best for sound, but it is an even playing field with the possibility to quickly swap between IEM's. I borrowed TDM's graph, thanks!IMG_2750.jpegIMG_2749.jpeggraph.png

Attachments

• IMG_2748.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #12,307 of 13,661
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #12,308 of 13,661
Any more info on this? Price? Detailed specs?
It's on.the final stage of development, so the release should be soon but maybe only after the CNY. I also know it comes with the Obsidian cable.

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #12,309 of 13,661
It's on.the final stage of development, so the release should be soon but maybe only after the CNY. I also know it comes with the Obsidian cable.
Nice! If I had to guess, it would probably be in the kilobuck range, or maybe slightly under.

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #12,310 of 13,661
So in order to truly enjoy the Quattros i need a $500 source and EA cadmus equivalent cable for it to sound as it should? Wait i forgot the ESS based DAC :D

EDIT: Its a joke ... fanboisss dont hate on me
I think the stock cable is good enough, and the new Penon tips work very well. I think it has more to do with the power of the source than the type of chip. If you don't give it enough power that's when it sounds dull.

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #12,311 of 13,661
Sooo.... I could live with both Canon and 10th for sure. 10th is I guess a bit warmer, but also a tiny bit "woolier" in the bass vs Canon. For metal I would prefer the Canon, on the other songs I feel both is good. Personally I like Canon best with all switches off😅. One thing to be aware of is the massive difference in size and fit. Here the Canon is a clear winner for me! Now I might not be the best to compare IEM's, I have a super short auditory memory, and soon to be 52 year old ears😂. Have to use the Fosi 4x amp to compare. Not the best for sound, but it is an even playing field with the possibility to quickly swap between IEM's. I borrowed TDM's graph, thanks!

Thanks so much for this! I think I'm going to wait a while, see what happens in the IEM market over the next year or so. Unless you think the 10th is substantially better - so much so you'd want to reach for it over the Canons most of the time - it sounds like I am better off with my Canon II's (which aren't the same as the Canons, but they are close enough for me) rather than justifying paying 1.5x the price on new IEMs. I would consider the Quattros but they're not on AE for me yet and am going away and won't be back until after the AE sale is over, so will be better off waiting for the next sale before considering them. Appreciate the help!

Jan 8, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #12,312 of 13,661
Thanks so much for this! I think I'm going to wait a while, see what happens in the IEM market over the next year or so. Unless you think the 10th is substantially better - so much so you'd want to reach for it over the Canons most of the time - it sounds like I am better off with my Canon II's (which aren't the same as the Canons, but they are close enough for me) rather than justifying paying 1.5x the price on new IEMs. I would consider the Quattros but they're not on AE for me yet and am going away and won't be back until after the AE sale is over, so will be better off waiting for the next sale before considering them. Appreciate the help!
At this time I would use Canon more. I allso use Penon Dome more than 10th. Canon II seem a bit far off from OG. Maybe they should have given them a new name😊

Jan 8, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #12,313 of 13,661
Thanks a lot for the really helpful response :) I wasn't considering the Quattro as much only because I hadn't heard as much about it, but I'm very interested having read these recent comparisons. I definitely prefer quite a full sound, prioritising warmth rather than technical clarity and space between the instruments (why I don't like my S12 Pros except for metal), which makes me lean towards the Quattros based on some of what people have said. I think my priorities are having a forward, impactful midrange, but with a fair bit of bass to support it, more to add warmth and lushness to the sound rather than to give rumble and thump (though that is fun too!)
I would consider the Quattros but they're not on AE for me yet and am going away and won't be back until after the AE sale is over, so will be better off waiting for the next sale before considering them.

Yep, sounds like you’re leaning towards the Penon house sound in general, if not the Quattro.

But if you’re enjoying your Canon II, I’d say keep enjoying it, take your time mulling over your next step and maybe keep an eye out for more impressions. I doubt Quattro would be discounted on AE any time soon anyway so the only way now would be to email Penon directly.

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #12,314 of 13,661
1704745686157.png

I did a quick comparison of the two recent multi dynamics. There is a reason why the Quattro is double the RP of the new NEO3. It is a much more audiophile sounding IEM vs the NEO3. Wider stage, better treble and bass extensions, more accurate timbre, better perceived details. This being said the new NEO3s mids and bass forward sound is very addictive, extremely musical. Compliments the Quattro perfectly. Folks that wanted more punch in the midbass department. The NEO 3, actually all the NEO IEMs have more mid bass vs Penon IEMs which are more sub bass focused. NEO3 is a more colored sounding IEM vs the Quattro but that is not a bad thing.

By the way if your a vocal fan. You might want to get a set of the new NEO3.

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #12,315 of 13,661
1704745686157.png

I did a quick comparison of the two recent multi dynamics. There is a reason why the Quattro is double the RP of the new NEO3. It is a much more audiophile sounding IEM vs the NEO3. Wider stage, better treble and bass extensions, more accurate timbre, better perceived details. This being said the new NEO3s mids and bass forward sound is very addictive, extremely musical. Compliments the Quattro perfectly. Folks that wanted more punch in the midbass department. The NEO 3, actually all the NEO IEMs have more mid bass vs Penon IEMs which are more sub bass focused. NEO3 is a more colored sounding IEM vs the Quattro but that is not a bad thing.

By the way if your a vocal fan. You might want to get a set of the new NEO3.
So is there is reason why impact is 6 times the price of Quattro? Wonder what Quattro lacks compared to impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back