The PENON official thread
Jan 6, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #12,271 of 13,823
It does. Cadmus 8W interconnect on top; Asos below:
Can I ask your opinion comparing these two cables? Which do you like more?

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #12,274 of 13,823
Can I ask your opinion comparing these two cables? Which do you like more?
1704577829167.png

I actually did a comparison on my review. I will just quote what I wrote on the ASOS review
Going back and forth from the ASOS and the Cadmus 8w I have to say the general technical enhancing abilities on both sets of cables are at very similar levels here. I will say the Cadmus has just a smidge more in the way of stage width wise but that is due to the mids not being as dense as it is using the ASOS which also has a bit more note weight over the Cadmus 8w. Cadmus 8w brings a bit more for sound separation but otherwise if you compared these two in a blind test you're going to have a very tough time telling these two apart in both form and sound.

So I just posted some impressions about these things. You might be interested in on the discovery thread.

1704577965629.png

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17904753

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #12,275 of 13,823

I actually did a comparison on my review. I will just quote what I wrote on the ASOS review
Going back and forth from the ASOS and the Cadmus 8w I have to say the general technical enhancing abilities on both sets of cables are at very similar levels here. I will say the Cadmus has just a smidge more in the way of stage width wise but that is due to the mids not being as dense as it is using the ASOS which also has a bit more note weight over the Cadmus 8w. Cadmus 8w brings a bit more for sound separation but otherwise if you compared these two in a blind test you're going to have a very tough time telling these two apart in both form and sound.

So I just posted some impressions about these things. You might be interested in on the discovery thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17904753
awesome i will read over this! thanks for the write up, always appreciated.

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #12,276 of 13,823
Since so much of human communication is body language and tone, it is almost impossible to judge the true intent behind what someone writes. One interpretation of what you wrote would have me suggesting that you perform an anatomically impossible act, and another interpretation would have me laughing out loud with you.

Anyway, to each their own, of course. Nothing will be ideal for everyone. I do hope you find auditory happiness.
This comment has me laughing with you 😂

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #12,277 of 13,823
If it’s anywhere near as good as Bonneville then I’ll be a very happy camper!

I think it really depends on what you’re after. They’re quite different beasts. I would have difficulty comparing the two. Bonneville is undeniably a crowd pleaser and I really like its implementation of that big ballsy new bass DD that Campfire is using in it. I don’t think Penon were even going for that effect in any of their IEMs.

But I own Quattro and not Bonneville because I’m a massive sucker for coherency and Bonneville’s mids just don’t quite match up with its bass for me in terms of note weight, size, texture, things like that. I don’t see other people having any issue with it though so it’s probably just me being a picky old basket.

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #12,278 of 13,823
The reason for the different perceptions of the Quattro might be its specific bass characteristic with large amounts of subbass while offering less - comparably few - midbass. Usually the amount of sub- and midbass are more in line with each other. A few examples:

When I listen to the Singularity it has both - lots of sub- and even more midbass (which ruins it for me, as the bass imo drowns the mids).

The DTE900 has quite the same amount of sub- but less midbass and therefore doesn't bleed into the mids like the Singularity. The Bass of the DTE900 is also faster than that of the Singularity.

The 10th AE has an even slower bass with longer decay (like the Singularity) and offers less sub- but equal amounts of midbass compared to the DTE900 (but more midbass than the Quattro).

And finally there is the Ascension, which is a tad slower than the DTE900 / Quattro, has a bit less subbass and sits inbetween those two midbasswise and inbetween these and Singularity / 10th AE decaywise...

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #12,279 of 13,823
The reason for the different perceptions of the Quattro might be its specific bass characteristic with large amounts of subbass while offering less - comparably few - midbass. Usually the amount of sub- and midbass are more in line with each other. A few examples:

When I listen to the Singularity it has both - lots of sub- and even more midbass (which ruins it for me, as the bass imo drowns the mids).

The DTE900 has quite the same amount of sub- but less midbass and therefore doesn't bleed into the mids like the Singularity. The Bass of the DTE900 is also faster than that of the Singularity.

The 10th AE has an even slower bass with longer decay (like the Singularity) and offers less sub- but equal amounts of midbass compared to the DTE900 (but more midbass than the Quattro).

And finally there is the Ascension, which is a tad slower than the DTE900 / Quattro, has a bit less subbass and sits inbetween those two midbasswise and inbetween these and Singularity / 10th AE decaywise...
Do you have any tracks to suggest where you hear these differences?

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #12,280 of 13,823
This comment has me laughing with you 😂
🤣

Anyway, the reality is you and I probably don't perceive the Quattro that differently, it is just how we feel about what we hear is colored by our personal tastes. I prefer a warmer sound signature while my guess is you don't, and there is nothing wrong or right in either perspective.

What I find fascinating is that others don't perceive the recessed treble and bass that I perceive. But we are all absolutely different. And my hearing at the sub bass and at the higher treble registers might no longer be capable of hearing what others can hear there. So maybe the Quattro has a slamming sub bass and airy treble I cannot hear.

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #12,281 of 13,823
🤣

Anyway, the reality is you and I probably don't perceive the Quattro that differently, it is just how we feel about what we hear is colored by our personal tastes. I prefer a warmer sound signature while my guess is you don't, and there is nothing wrong or right in either perspective.

What I find fascinating is that others don't perceive the recessed treble and bass that I perceive. But we are all absolutely different. And my hearing at the sub bass and at the higher treble registers might no longer be capable of hearing what others can hear there. So maybe the Quattro has a slamming sub bass and airy treble I cannot hear.
I heard the bass…quite nice. However I heard absolutely no treble. I’m 38 so my hearing isn’t bad. I’m not insensitive to treble. EA500 stock form too much for me

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #12,282 of 13,823
I heard the bass…quite nice. However I heard absolutely no treble. I’m 38 so my hearing isn’t bad. I’m not insensitive to treble. EA500 stock form too much for me
I don't think I would describe what I heard as no treble. But definitely less than the 10th Anniversary - **to me** it was a night and day difference. There was considerably less treble, but not none. **To me** the Quattro is a relaxing warm set - music appreciation after a couple of glasses of wine, while the 10th Anniversary is music appreciation after a couple of Red Bulls.

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #12,283 of 13,823
That’s amazing! I’d say it has excellent treble and perhaps a bit more extension than I thought.

More thoughts to come!

Leaving you great feedback!

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #12,285 of 13,823
That’s amazing! I’d say it has excellent treble and perhaps a bit more extension than I thought.

More thoughts to come!

Leaving you great feedback!
Wowzers that’s crazy you are hearing the set I bought so differently. I’m not sure how every other set isn’t unlistenable for you haha. What source you using? I’m pumped you like it tho. Glad it’s at a good home

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back