The PENON official thread
Jan 5, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #12,241 of 13,820
BTW, I was in my last day or two of my EA cable tour, I used EA code 24 cable, which is a magic maker. It immediately improved the SQ of Quattro, but unfortunately, when I shifted back to Isa, which is renowned for its sweet Mids, I found the bass performance of Quattro is too weak compared to Isa, mostly on mid bass area.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #12,242 of 13,820
Recently I am listening to many music with bass guitar, and I found Quattro's bass leaning too much on sub bass, and lacking mid bass. I was not comparing Quattro with kilobuck IEMs, I am comparing it to single DD Oriolus Isabellae. That is the most glaring difference in mid bass, but also in resolution as well.
Ok, well then keep listening to the one you like the most :wink:

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #12,243 of 13,820
What amp/dac are you using?
I used RU6 from my computer, which I have to increase volume from 50 all the way to 70 for Quattro. Also on my Sonly 1A, the same result. I felt that I am going from 4k to some lower resolution video when I switched from Isa back to Quattro.

I haven't have time to try my desktop DAC/AMP yet since I am in the process of re-organizing my desktop systems.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #12,244 of 13,820
I used RU6 from my computer, which I have to increase volume from 50 all the way to 70 for Quattro. Also on my Sonly 1A, the same result. I felt that I am going from 4k to some lower resolution video when I switched from Isa back to Quattro.

I haven't have time to try my desktop DAC/AMP yet since I am in the process of re-organizing my desktop systems.
Quattros are full and bassy so I don't think a ru6 is doing it any favors. Although I've never heard one, based on reviews if you want detail and texture with the quattros I'd look elsewhere. I'm using the questyle m15 and it's super fast sounding with great extention, bass and treble, texture, detail, and drive and the combo have handled all my music with ease. Even the fastest or most complex metal, big band, or electronic music that I listen to couldn't make it struggle. I'd recommend some super resolving and fast sounding set up to get the most out of these.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #12,245 of 13,820
I will spend more time with Quattro before I reach any conclusion. If my impression won't change, I will put it on classifieds, hopefully I don't have to.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #12,246 of 13,820
Quattros are full and bassy so I don't think a ru6 is doing it any favors. Although I've never heard one, based on reviews if you want detail and texture with the quattros I'd look elsewhere. I'm using the questyle m15 and it's super fast sounding with great extention, bass and treble, texture, detail, and drive and the combo have handled all my music with ease. Even the fastest or most complex metal, big band, or electronic music that I listen to couldn't make it struggle. I'd recommend some super resolving and fast sounding set up to get the most out of these.

I've only listened to them through the K9 AKM as they pair and sound amazing!

Eventually, I'lll take them out of the house for a ride and try something else...

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #12,247 of 13,820
I will spend more time with Quattro before I reach any conclusion. If my impression won't change, I will put it on classifieds, hopefully I don't have to.
Burn in for at least 50 hours straight will be good but ya they definitely need burn in. I would also suggest trying out some different tips as they are very tip sensitive. Try a more transparent cable pairing as well. They take a bit of trial and error but once you get the sound nailed in they will sing for you. Try different sources as well.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #12,248 of 13,820
Burn in for at least 50 hours straight will be good but ya they definitely need burn in. I would also suggest trying out some different tips as they are very tip sensitive. Try a more transparent cable pairing as well. They take a bit of trial and error but once you get the sound nailed in they will sing for you. Try different sources as well.
Am using the stock cable with the white/red stock tips (orange tips otw). It's probably a source/preference issue, and I wouldn't recommend narrow bore tips as they compress detail.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #12,249 of 13,820
Recently I am listening to many music with bass guitar, and I found Quattro's bass leaning too much on sub bass, and lacking mid bass. I was not comparing Quattro with kilobuck IEMs, I am comparing it to single DD Oriolus Isabellae. That is the most glaring difference in mid bass, but also in resolution as well.
The bass for me is the Quattro's Achilles heel and when playing bassy music drowned out the highs on stock cable , IVIPQ Pure silver Paladium cable fixed alot of my grumbles about the highs and H570 tips tightened up the bass they work great on this set.

160+ hours burned in. Mid bass is not my preferred harder hitting slam on some songs but, I am giving them 200 hours and then start critical listening.

But yesterday the mids oh my gave me goosbumps. All was forgiven .

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #12,250 of 13,820
Did any of you try Divinus Velvet tips for the Quattro to force it to have more midbass over subbass? (as well maybe address late treble)?

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #12,252 of 13,820
Just finished a two-hour jogging with my Quattro and WM1A and I started to understand why people love this IEM. It might be the brain burn in, or while I was running, I was listening to shuffle of all different types of music, or I was just casually enjoying the music instead of critical listening.

My initial expectation from 4 DD drivers setting is the bass. However, now I found the Quattro's attraction is its analog sounding, and especially the midrange.

One example is I happened to finish an entire album of Enya (something like the very best of Enya), it was beautifully renditioned.

Quattro to my ears, is a dark IEM, very good for laid-back listening. Surprisingly, I found Quattro's strength is not the bass, but the midrange.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #12,253 of 13,820
Just finished a two-hour jogging with my Quattro and WM1A and I started to understand why people love this IEM. It might be the brain burn in, or while I was running, I was listening to shuffle of all different types of music, or I was just casually enjoying the music instead of critical listening.

My initial expectation from 4 DD drivers setting is the bass. However, now I found the Quattro's attraction is its analog sounding, and especially the midrange.

One example is I happened to finish an entire album of Enya (something like the very best of Enya), it was beautifully renditioned.

Quattro to my ears, is a dark IEM, very good for laid-back listening. Surprisingly, I found Quattro's strength is not the bass, but the midrange.
Listen to Queen Hot Space album or the remastered Beatles 2023. It's sublime ...

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #12,254 of 13,820

Has Quattro taken us away from the Penon sound? Dark? Maybe compared to other Penons, but I would not call it dark in a vacuum.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #12,255 of 13,820
I don't understand how people are saying Quattro is dark.

Maybe it's the cable and eartips I'm using but it's far from being dark. If anything, it's bright to my ears and was sibilant out of the box, before burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back