The PENON official thread
Sep 2, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #11,086 of 13,769
I had zero problems using the Penon tips for Fan 2...did you try the azla?
I tried Azla's, but too tall.
I'm probably too picky about fit. The tips that came with the Fan 2 were good and stayed in just fine, but the shell wouldn't sit flush and clip under the top flap of my ear.
I like it to clip in like it was custom-made for me, so there is zero chance of it ever working it's way loose. You can probably call me OCD. :anguished:

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #11,087 of 13,769
Hello,

I have acquired a Fan 2, and I find it useful. It lacks a few db of bass for me, but for classical is much better then Starfield - where I came from.
However it is quite big and heavy. I was looking at Sennheisser ie200. Does anybody have experience with both, and could share a few lines of comment?

Thank you.

Sep 2, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #11,088 of 13,769
Give a try to the H570 latex tips... Great price and super confortable. Also they don't get itchy for me after a while like silicone ones do.

Here's it on the Serial.

12150722.jpg

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #11,090 of 13,769
Hello,

I have acquired a Fan 2, and I find it useful. It lacks a few db of bass for me, but for classical is much better then Starfield - where I came from.
However it is quite big and heavy. I was looking at Sennheisser ie200. Does anybody have experience with both, and could share a few lines of comment?

Thank you.
IE200 & IE300 (the latter I auditioned several times) are Good sets.
But comparing them with the Fan 2, the Fan 2 is better for my ears.
- Larger scale of imaging
-Larger Sound Field
-With proper fitting, the treble is for long term listening
-Tuning is Neutral, very slightly forward mids, They are never "in your face mids"
-Being multiple driver / receiver sets, expect a slightly more detailed, better sound separation set...

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #11,091 of 13,769
Well... when I write little here it is because I am enjoying the music.

photo_2023-09-02_23-53-36.jpg

I've had the EA Fusion 1 with the Impact for about 10 days, and everything is perfection. If Code 23 had left me completely satisfied where I wanted, Fusion 1 has taken me to levels that I didn't know I wanted. Is it a drastic change? No, they are small details, but it is perfection in everything. Everything sounds clear, with good separation, good soundstage... I can't find any flaws in the tone or any note or frequency range that goes out of place. The problem is that after months exclusively with the Impact as IEM, I now put on any other, and since there are many instruments involved, they sound dirty to me, compared to the Impact with the Fusion 1. Is it worth the investment? probably not. The return on investment curve is increasingly vertical, for small improvements you have to invest much more. For me it has been worth it, although now I have run out of funds for other interesting IEMs. The Impact now is like going to dinner at the best restaurant in the city dressed in a tailcoat, but maybe sometimes I'd like to eat a hamburger dressed in sports clothes.

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #11,092 of 13,769
And now by the way... some recent musical recommendations.

As you can see, I like very different styles... and that's the good thing.

Sep 3, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #11,094 of 13,769
Well... when I write little here it is because I am enjoying the music.

I've had the EA Fusion 1 with the Impact for about 10 days, and everything is perfection. If Code 23 had left me completely satisfied where I wanted, Fusion 1 has taken me to levels that I didn't know I wanted. Is it a drastic change? No, they are small details, but it is perfection in everything. Everything sounds clear, with good separation, good soundstage... I can't find any flaws in the tone or any note or frequency range that goes out of place. The problem is that after months exclusively with the Impact as IEM, I now put on any other, and since there are many instruments involved, they sound dirty to me, compared to the Impact with the Fusion 1. Is it worth the investment? probably not. The return on investment curve is increasingly vertical, for small improvements you have to invest much more. For me it has been worth it, although now I have run out of funds for other interesting IEMs. The Impact now is like going to dinner at the best restaurant in the city dressed in a tailcoat, but maybe sometimes I'd like to eat a hamburger dressed in sports clothes.

Congrats on the Fusion1. Something I’d like to try one day.

Still enjoying my Impact very much as well. Unlike your favourite tailcoat, you can pretty much wear it all the time without wearing it out :)

However, I’ve been spending this weekend with the Volt and trying a few leftfield cable pairings I’d not thought of trying before. The one I liked most turned out to be NiceHCK SuperBlue, which brings note weight and engagement and is an excellent match visually as well. A pity I only have it in 2.5mm but it’s not a problem for me.

IMG_8386.jpeg

Nice music choices. Tenderlonius recently came up in my Bandcamp feed as well and it’s the one I’m listening to right now.

With a little delay I published my review of the Penon Impact today:

Review

Good concise impressions. I agree.

+1 to your comments on packaging as well. Once you’ve unboxed one Penon you’ve unboxed them all. But I’ve come to appreciate their practicality and lack of wastefulness, to the point I get a bit turned off by more extravagant packaging now.
I took a random punt on the EPZ Q5 which was going cheap at the last Ali sale and the unboxing, while way above expectations for a budget iem, was appallingly wasteful and impractical. (For anyone interested, the iem itself is very well tuned, though quite average in detail and resolution for its price bracket).

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #11,095 of 13,769
10th Anniversary

I’ve been going back and forth on whether this would be my entry into the “Penon sound”. Two concerns remaining:

1. Portability: as I’ve upped my purchases to this pricing tier, I’ve noticed that some of the better offerings don’t do so well, without being connected to a proper desktop amp. My desktop (original MassDrop AAA 789) is pretty much locked in, with the Tri Starlight. I’m looking for an IEM that will play well with my FiiO BTR7.

2. The low end response: my go to is the Xenns Top; for it’s (relative) old school, dynamic driver’s sub bass and colored mid bass. I’m not a fan of the standard BA driver style, of a quick in and out. I like a modicum of decay to the sub bass and some girth to male vocals. I know the 10th uses a DD, but as seen in the Blessing 3, the 2xDD has the speed of a BA. Where does the anniversary stand, specific to the low end response ?

Sep 4, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #11,096 of 13,769
I don’t know if for some reason I am hearing the Fan 2 a bit differently to other folks but after trying all manner of tips I have given up on the Fan 2.

To my ear they have a veiled sound on certain parts of the midrange that I think comes from the relaxed treble not giving certain instruments and female voices nice sharp edges and detail. Perhaps my 56 year old ears don’t hear all the treble that is actually available so what I hear is in fact different to what a younger set of ears hears would hear. That said I can still hear to 15kHz reasonably well so I don't believe that is what is happening but I say it for clarity and proper context.

I have been able to listen to certain music with them but I find myself skipping tracks in playlists because I can’t get past the veiled somewhat flat sounding midrange much preferring any of the other sets in my small collection.

EDITED TO ADD: I don't offer the above to stir anybody up that likes the Fan 2, I offer it as a counterpoint to the general favourable comments about the Fan 2 should it possibly help somebody that is considering a blind purchase like I made.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #11,097 of 13,769
I don’t know if for some reason I am hearing the Fan 2 a bit differently to other folks but after trying all manner of tips I have given up on the Fan 2.

To my ear they have a veiled sound on certain parts of the midrange that I think comes from the relaxed treble not giving certain instruments and female voices nice sharp edges and detail. Perhaps my 56 year old ears don’t hear all the treble that is actually available so what I hear is in fact different to what a younger set of ears hears would hear. That said I can still hear to 15kHz reasonably well so I don't believe that is what is happening but I say it for clarity and proper context.

I have been able to listen to certain music with them but I find myself skipping tracks in playlists because I can’t get past the veiled somewhat flat sounding midrange much preferring any of the other sets in my small collection.

EDITED TO ADD: I don't offer the above to stir anybody up that likes the Fan 2, I offer it as a counterpoint to the general favourable comments about the Fan 2 should it possibly help somebody that is considering a blind purchase like I made.
Can you give an example of a specific song and which part is veiled? I'll see if my old ears hear the same thing or not.
All of my IEMs cost less than $100, so I think the Fan 2 sounds better than anything else I have, unless I'm just fooling myself.

Sep 5, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #11,099 of 13,769
Can you give an example of a specific song and which part is veiled? I'll see if my old ears hear the same thing or not.
All of my IEMs cost less than $100, so I think the Fan 2 sounds better than anything else I have, unless I'm just fooling myself.

Pretty well any female vocal tracks. If I was listening to dub or electronic music for example it is not an issue but I am on a bit of a female artist remaking well known songs kick at present and here the Fan 2 have been a disappointment for me.

I have been listening to Chlara doing covers of “This Love” and “Hotel California” from an album called “Evo Session”, It is essentially a beautiful vocal and two acoustic guitars.

On my AuR Neon Pro, Letshuoer S12 and Shanling ME700 the vocals and guitar strings have a really defined sharpness and detail or even a slight glassy wetness to them that is comparatively dulled off, blunted and matte on the Fan 2 to my ear. I hope the texture references make sense 🙂

Also on George Harrison 2020 remaster if “My Sweet Lord” the guitar strums and his voice are a tad blunted and lack a little bite, definition or clarity.

In isolation they are OK but by comparison to my other IEM the Fan 2 come up short for me. Granted the Neon Pro and ME700 are three times the price but the S12 is half the price of the Fan 2 and to me is a much more satisfying listen.

I probably have just established a preference for a certain sound that the Fan 2 does not deliver but at least some others will probably feel the same about them. I bought them blind thinking they would be a more neutral/reference counterpoint to my few other sets but I think the neutral is a bit safe.

If course everyone’s mileage may vary but I wanted to share my counterpoint to the positive comments for a bit of balance on a forum that people use to help understand what they may or may not like. Like every set not everyone will like the same thing but to my ear the “neutral” tuning has been taken just a little far in the safe direction.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #11,100 of 13,769
A bit late to the party, but here's a review of the ISN H30: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-h30.26130/reviews#review-31691

H30 5.jpeg

Considering the H30 was released a year ago, it is surprisingly still quite competitive against some $100ish hybrids that released this year. It has a U-shaped balanced tuning with good timbre for a BA containing IEM. Sonion containing gear is usually priced much higher, so the H30 has quite good sound for the coin.

TLDR:

Pros:

Generous accessories
Solid and beautiful shells
Good comfort despite larger housings
Easily driven
Good isolation
Choice drivers like Knowles and Sonion BAs at this price-point
Balanced mild U-shaped tonality
Smooth and safe treble, without shoutiness
Decent timbre for a BA containing pair

Cons: