The PENON official thread
Aug 7, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #10,831 of 13,747
Penon most likely will never release a VIP code for this IEM, since it's not made by them. They're simply the retailer and distributor taking a chance on this new IEM from @AmericanSpirit, willing to sell it for him and his IEM maker. You should PM him here if you want a discount code.

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/night-oblivion-discussions/39359/152
They issued one for SR7.
After reading a lot of folks here saying great things about the Serial and many reviews mentioning how unique and good sounding they are, I've just ordered one. Together with it I also ordered some Dunu S&S XL eartips as the L are too small for me and the NiceHCK Blacksoul cable.

Now I'm 🤞🏻for it to arrive before I leave for vacations in the end of the month :)
Great choice, hard to be disappointed with the Serial! I would give it plenty of burn in, though, mine took quite a while to reach its wow stage.

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #10,832 of 13,747
IMG_E4348.JPG

After reading a lot of folks here saying great things about the Serial
:star::star::star::star::star:
Congratulations! You will Love the Serial:
1. If you love vinyl music, first and foremost
2. If you'll go for natural sounding, less exaggeration on both extremities, the Mids are the iconic Penon house sound
3. If you like your holographic imaging a lot, especially stage Depth and width, high quality layering and separation. Perfect for large ensemble due to a massive sound field capability
4. If you love to be entertained and less on the analytical
5. The shells are small, the fit is a giveaway
6. Will play any genre' . Contrary to some comments, the Serial will play Metallica and similar...
7. Can play and sing direct from phone. Use of a dac dongle on balance is strongly recommended though, for that desktop replacement qualities experience...
and many reviews mentioning how unique and good sounding they are, I've just ordered one. Together with it I also ordered some Dunu S&S XL eartips as the L are too small for me and the NiceHCK Blacksoul cable.

Now I'm 🤞🏻for it to arrive before I leave for vacations in the end of the month :)

Aug 7, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #10,833 of 13,747
@ehjie I see you also have Fan 2. Do Serials have wider soundstage and better imaging? I've heard so many good things about Fan2's staging but I find it to actually sound quite narrow, mostly in my head and very forward. I prefer the feeling of sitting in front of the stage a couple rows back.

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #10,834 of 13,747
Aug 7, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #10,835 of 13,747
@ehjie I see you also have Fan 2. Do Serials have wider soundstage and better imaging? I've heard so many good things about Fan2's staging but I find it to actually sound quite narrow, mostly in my head and very forward. I prefer the feeling of sitting in front of the stage a couple rows back.
I seems to me that BA hybrid have a false way in positioning instruments trough the space, I had fan2 and with classical music never obtained a realistic soundstage, they only spread things from far left to far right, they had non recessed mids so everything seems on the same line = any depth. Serial has kids a bit recessed, and this help, is more coherent and even if not wide sounding as fan2 everything appears dislocated as naturally should, I am so impressed from Serial highs listening jazz percussions, very fast/thick attack of the sticks over the cymbals followed by long decay. But stage is also influenced from tips, cables, ampli. For every one: if you have to chose go with Serial; if you want a fun complementary mate, that probably PENON will offer you very discounted, for electronic music and and in order to have a taste of what a 10th could sound, buy, after, ALSO fan2.

Aug 7, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #10,836 of 13,747

:star::star::star::star::star:
Congratulations! You will Love the Serial:
1. If you love vinyl music, first and foremost
2. If you'll go for natural sounding, less exaggeration on both extremities, the Mids are the iconic Penon house sound
3. If you like your holographic imaging a lot, especially stage Depth and width, high quality layering and separation. Perfect for large ensemble due to a massive sound field capability
4. If you love to be entertained and less on the analytical
5. The shells are small, the fit is a giveaway
6. Will play any genre' . Contrary to some comments, the Serial will play Metallica and similar...
7. Can play and sing direct from phone. Use of a dac dongle on balance is strongly recommended though, for that desktop replacement qualities experience...
I think it will be a perfect fit... I'm currently in a 70s vibe after watching Daisy Jones and the Six on Prime Video... I've always loved that kind of vibe... Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, and the newer style of it like Lumineers, James Bay, Ray Lamontagne and others... also love those raw recordings of country / folk / americana like the amazing "The Marfa Tapes" by Jack Ingram and Miranda Lambert...

Suggestions to more music like this are very welcome!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #10,838 of 13,747
Today I asked my post office if they could investigate further what is up with my shipping on the 10th I ordered. Turns out the post office returned it before trying to deliver it, so now it's on it's way back to Penon after 6 weeks...

Sad to hear this - hopefully it can be resent quickly...

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #10,839 of 13,747
Good news for owners of aTail using Roon Arc. After the latest update of Roon Arc the Tail can be used with that software now... :)

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #10,840 of 13,747
Today I asked my post office if they could investigate further what is up with my shipping on the 10th I ordered. Turns out the post office returned it before trying to deliver it, so now it's on it's way back to Penon after 6 weeks...

I would ask Penon to reship it via DHL. I think they charge something like $10 extra for DHL but it is completely worth it imo.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #10,841 of 13,747

eye-twitching-498-x-280-gif-tia640m4mio6tbka.gif
I feel for you. Did they make three attempts? I’m glad we get parcels in 7 days in the UK when ordering from AE or Penon, even less with express delivery options. Hopefully you can get another sent.

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #10,842 of 13,747
Also I went looking for cables and saw the Penon Space you mentioned. Although it looks great, I can't stand nylon sheathing in cables... The microphonics drive me crazy.

I recently got the NiceHCK Mixpp and used it for 5 minutes... Gave up. Have many cables from AliExpress and the ones from NiceHCK, Xinhs and Tripowin with PVC/TPU covers.
Space is a little big but no microphonic sound will arrive at Serial, never had this problem with PENON iems, maybe cause they use a lot of resin, I don't know. I had it only with etymotic.

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #10,843 of 13,747
I would ask Penon to reship it via DHL. I think they charge something like $10 extra for DHL but it is completely worth it imo.
I did pay for express shipping, but chose to have them use the slower shipping as I wasn't sure about where I'd be at the time. In retrospect and for the future, definitely going all-in on express :smile:
I feel for you. Did they make three attempts? I’m glad we get parcels in 7 days in the UK when ordering from AE or Penon, even less with express delivery options. Hopefully you can get another sent.
It got delivered to a post office in a different part of the country, and I asked them to forward it to my current location, agreeing to pay for additional shipping fees. After a week it moved from that post office and then gone. Seems they just returned it, even though the final pick-up date still has yet to pass.

Sent Penon a inquiry with a translation and proof of what my post office said. I'm sure it will work out, just sucks to wait this long for a set I've counted the days to try :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #10,844 of 13,747
Yeah, Legend is still one of the few Penons that got away for me. It was and is still quite an expense, and there seeemed enough cons (BA bass) and not enough talk about it to tip me over into taking the plunge.

I still have a soft spot for my Vortex. It hasn't been that long and it's true that DD tech has taken massive leaps forward in recent years and is still improving, but the Vortex tuning and technicals hit such a sweet spot for me that I haven't felt much need to investigate the new budget shinies.

OG Fan was a bit of a sleeper I believe, until more folks somehow discovered it and started talking about it in the past year. It does require some patience and a lot of power - the more the better - so I can imagine why it was easier for many to simply pan it at its low price.
I totally think the OG Fan is a sleeper. It is really a very different tune for Penon. I just recommend it to someone as their first Penon who wanted lower midrange. That and I recommend the Serial if they want to spend more. The two ear-phones are different yet both share the Penon house sound I feel. Though really my heart goes for the Serial and I like it more and more the new times I use it.
I don't see why it's so ridiculous. There is a very big difference between giving an opinion on an kilobuck IEM you received free of charge in exchange for a giving your opinion, and spending your hard earned money on it. In reality, what are the odds of reviewers trashing such an expensive IEM and most likely tarnishing the relationship between them and the brand versus giving it praise even though they themselves might not spend that much on it?

There's a reason why it's considered a requirement in most professional settings to disclose that information (e.g. LTT on YouTube). It's about trust and transparency towards the audience.

I don't mind people getting these things, but there's a distinction that needs to be made for those who want to take a risk of buying an IEM before auditioning it. For most of us here, it's not as simple as "trying" most IEMs on the market.
All you have to do is search the reviews of a member who you suspect as getting demo stuff for free. It is understood that reviewers help promote new IEMs and Cables due to their interest in the hobby, and due to their liking to write about it. Sure they show up in this thread too, but no disclaimer is needed, since it’s a public forum. But you’re right there could be a psychological boost from free to demo gear, still it’s a double-edge sword as reviews are needed to inform the public (as to the quality) so Penon/ISN can sell gear then take the profit and make more gear....etc etc. If Penon made crappy stuff that would be one thing, but this thread is full of enthusiasm due to the gear as being both good sounding and a good value.
One guy didn’t make a fuss about it, one guy asked a very simple question.

Another guy read something into that question and then made a fuss about what he thought the first guy meant.

We all know what you think, myself and a few others think differently, nothing wrong with that.
Most enthusiasts here are commingling, as such there are folks who genuinely love the Penon/ISN products. Sure there is a psychological boost that comes from getting stuff to try for free in the mail. There is no way around it. Still as reviewers we try and keep an objective stance to inform the public the best way we know how.

Personally I do think the Fan 2 takes a little work to make it work-out. The nozzle is long, and in a way it does polarize Penon buyers. But half to three quarters of the people are totally happy, that is just how subjective this hobby is. All of us have made different purchases, with some better than others. I needed a darker DAP and warmer cable, even different ear-tips to make the Fan 2 work. But in the end I loved the Fan 2. Is the Fan 2 perfect for everyone? Maybe not, maybe it’s for those who want to put in the footwork to make it work out. Should Penon have originality made it different? Ask the many many people who own the Fan 2 who it’s their favorite IEM, and they would not want a thing changed. The nozzle does work for me, but it is long and I’ve read of some having issues. Yet there must be a total reason behind the design. Meaning all this stuff is experimental and when a new product is introduced it has never existed before.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #10,845 of 13,747
IMG_E4359.JPG

@ehjie I see you also have Fan 2. Do Serials have wider soundstage
Yes, in a holographic way, too.
and better imaging?
Yes, again. The stage depth is unheard of in this price range. Really deep I should say, too.
I've heard so many good things about Fan2's staging but I find it to actually sound quite narrow, mostly in my head and very forward.
Musician's Monitor style staging is the presentation. You'll get excellent width, Not in your face height (at least for me), but the depth is near field, narrow as you say so...
I prefer the feeling of sitting in front of the stage a couple rows back.
The Serial, the 10th and the Volts will do holographic.
The easiest set that can generate the presentation you prefer is the 10th, the Serial comes next and the Volt will require a modest power plant - a dx300 can let the Volt go convincingly Holo, rest assured...
I think it will be a perfect fit... I'm currently in a 70s vibe after watching Daisy Jones and the Six on Prime Video... I've always loved that kind of vibe... Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, and the newer style of it like Lumineers, James Bay, Ray Lamontagne and others... also love those raw recordings of country / folk / americana like the amazing "The Marfa Tapes" by Jack Ingram and Miranda Lambert...
Very few things in this world we live in can be called Perfect. The Serials and your choice of Music - is one of them.
Enjoy your Music more...
Suggestions to more music like this are very welcome!

1691424915038.png
1691424960569.png

I didn't see in your short list this rather superb gents from Georgia.
I suggest starting from this album. Should this be your cup of tea, you can work your way backwards
through their other albums...
IMG_4360.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_4361.PNG
    IMG_4361.PNG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back