The PENON official thread
Jul 20, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #10,516 of 13,731
Freshly Landed. Look better than the pics and tiny!
I'm quite keen to read impressions of Penon's new Turbo.

There's no shortage of quality IEMs in the marketplace already -which must make things challenging for manufacturers- but anything particular daring or different instantly warrants attention, not so much because they necessarily appeals to our taste, but such products potentially offer us a window into where the market is going.

Just look at the 10th Anniversary and its' use of double dynamic drivers - that's been a popular trend with a lot of new IEM releases this year. Actually it would be fascinating to learn what prompts such fashions... are manufacturers simply copying one another in a bid to cash in hype generated by new approaches, or are advancements in driver technology genuinely offering new ways to achieve higher performance at lower pricepoints?

BA drivers have come a long way so I'm quite open minded when it comes to BA bass performance.

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #10,517 of 13,731

Attachments

• TURBO.png
    TURBO.png
    241 KB · Views: 0
Jul 20, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #10,518 of 13,731
Jul 21, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #10,519 of 13,731
Freshly Landed. Look better than the pics and tiny!
Mine is in the country and with the courier, I’m hoping it’s out for delivery today 🤞🏻

Any first impressions?

Jul 21, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #10,520 of 13,731
IMG_E4227.JPG

Striking similarities include:
Fantastic, natural focused Mids, neutral tuning overall, relaxed resolving treble, neutral textured bass. They require a modestly powerful source to sing
The departure include:
Fluid, dynamic (a better prat adsr), natural Mids, larger scale of imaging, despite a less than ideal amplitude on the top end-a more realistic detail, extension, sparkle.
Better lower end extension, a more realistic timbre. ability to deliver a better 3d effect and a decent holographic imaging* - all in favour of the Volts.
*via a good dap ie DX300 or similar spec'd player
Non sonic attributes - they're durable. Your looking at a more than 2 year old pair. Fit has never been an issue for me - not finnicky. The Volt are rather sexy in reality
Would you have any thoughts about Sony IER-M9 vs. Penon Volt?

ier-m9_ee_jp.jpeg

Despite an expensive ba receiver, amazing presentation nonetheless that was utilised for the bass, it still didn't cut it due to a less than engaging midrange.
Thereby, vocals in particular will always be better on the Volt.

If your on the fence for getting a pair from both, the Volts can assure you better value.
If you already have the M9, the Volt is an upgrade.
If there's a sale on M9 say usd400, I'd still get the Volts. The only thing that will beat this pair (the Volt) is a more expensive, more than double the price pair...

Jul 21, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #10,521 of 13,731
Sharing here also since Penon sells it, out of stock right now. As I understand a German factory will produce more for IMR, unless something has changed.

IMR BC 2023 - The Bass Cannon from UK

Had this set for 5 months, lots of frustration in the start. Ended up with being one of my favourites, talk about turn around.
That's why I wanted to give it a full review, it is a energetic and visceral sounding set.
Bass to die for, mids and treble also being great. And soundstage being at highest level.

Please read if it is of interest, cheers.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/imr-bc-2023-dual-dynamic-driver-iem.26426/review/31297/

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #10,523 of 13,731
Sharing here also since Penon sells it, out of stock right now. As I understand a German factory will produce more for IMR, unless something has changed.

IMR BC 2023 - The Bass Cannon from UK

Had this set for 5 months, lots of frustration in the start. Ended up with being one of my favourites, talk about turn around.
That's why I wanted to give it a full review, it is a energetic and visceral sounding set.
Bass to die for, mids and treble also being great. And soundstage being at highest level.

Please read if it is of interest, cheers.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/imr-bc-2023-dual-dynamic-driver-iem.26426/review/31297/

It took me some time to really get the most out of this set - a combination of long burning in, lots of cable rolling and a decent source. After all that they are now one of my favourites, and my favourite IEM not made by Penon/ISN.

Jul 21, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #10,524 of 13,731
Mine is in the country and with the courier, I’m hoping it’s out for delivery today 🤞🏻

Any first impressions?

Look what turned up at my door earlier

IMG_0160.jpeg

Jul 21, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #10,526 of 13,731
The gap is there so it's easier and safer to remove the connector by pinching it.

Those new connectors by Penon are actually lot shorter than standard 2-pin connectors.

Yeah nah !

The 2 pin connectors on my Fan 2 were loose from day one so there is no way they need an additional design feature to help remove the pins.

Also, I have also never come across any 2 pin connector that requires a recess to get hold of at the cable end to get enough of a grip on it to remove it.

There are plenty of flat 2 pin cables that can be removed from even a snug fit in the IEM without a recess to assist the process. Sorry, I think it is just poor design choices.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #10,527 of 13,731
Yeah nah !

The 2 pin connectors on my Fan 2 were loose from day one so there is no way they need an additional design feature to help remove the pins.

Also, I have also never come across any 2 pin connector that requires a recess to get hold of at the cable end to get enough of a grip on it to remove it.

There are plenty of flat 2 pin cables that can be removed from even a snug fit in the IEM without a recess to assist the process. Sorry, I think it is just poor design choices.
Okay...

Jul 22, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #10,530 of 13,731
I agree w/ you that 2-pin sockets definitely start to get looser after a few dozen cable changes. I try to minimize my cable rolling to no more than 6 or so changes to A/B and figure out what sounds best... then just stick with what I land on. Some IEMs seem to have the sockets loosen up quicker than others though. What's really frustrating is when a ridiculously high priced IEM develops loose sockets after just a few changes. It's no fun to worry about an IEM L or R side falling off! I've had a couple that have gotten that bad. I know MMCX connectors are much maligned, but I've never had one fail, and I feel more apt to change those more frequently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back