The PENON official thread
Dec 15, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #6,827 of 13,810
Another one who got the new Dunu S&S today, and I'm testing them with some of my Penons. They are an excellent complement to the Fan2, in this case in size M. Before this I used the Azla SednaEarfit Crystal in size M for the left and M/L for the right. The S&S in size M are now perfect for the deep insertion of the Fan2, and have improved comfort. The seal is perfect and resembles that of foam tips, but without affecting the sound as much.

I have managed to put them, not without effort, also in the Volt, in this case in size L. Until now I used Xelastec L. Also with excellent results for holding, sealing and sound. I'll keep reporting, but it's been a good recommendation @Dsnuts , as always.

(I've gotten three boxes - 9 pairs, 6 in size L, 3 in M, and I'll be testing other in-ears in the following days)

20221215_191252.jpg

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #6,829 of 13,810
So I'm doing cables reviews today................well not just today, but spending a few days concentrating on them. Newly discovering the S2, H2 and C2......but wait.......................then something happened unexpectedly! The Obsidian arrived and was subsequently burned in. Then I joined the Obsidian with the Penon Vortex.........what? Really what?

DSC_0038.jpeg124.jpeg

DSC_0030.jpegqwqwr.jpeg

Zoom in on the photograph to take note of the 18K sparkles and refractive properties of the gold add!

With the Sony Walkman WM1Z, the Obsidian makes the Vortex into an authority monster.....changing it ever so much in the best of directions. Anyway I'm a few days out on posting these cables reviews, but I just was energetic/enthusiastic to share my discovery here. If you own a Vortex and wanted to know a dynamite cable for it........look no further. Interesting too, I spent a day with the Obsidian and the Noble Audio Encore and let me tell you.......if you have an all BA set that you wanted to increase lower midrange authority and girth...........the Obsidian is the ultimate ticket! That and the Totem, which for practical cost reasons is not going be for everyone..........still!

My ultimate finding:
Using the Sony WM1Z and Noble Audio Encore, with both the The Obsidian and the Totem:
There is a bass wave, a 2 second drop that I have been concentrating on...this will be in the Obsidian review, the wave has an attack, a middle and an ending. Each cable I used played back this "wave" in a different way. The most profound was the Obsidian and the Totem. But also the S2, H2 and C2 were great, each offering a style unique and a different flavor. The Encore is truly a great testing device as it's so well rounded. Though take note, how I would not necessarily listen all day with the S2 cable and Encore.........but the rest......the H2, C2 Obsidian and Totem were all day styles of output. The Totem though went over the top to produce a style of tremolo to the wave. Because I could hear deeper into the track the wave became louder and longer in time frame........becoming this long drawn out pulse with oscillations and texture......seemingly revealing more than I ever thought was possible.

This "pulsating wave" is probably always there but I have never heard it before. The Obsidian is second best as there is a separation and black background to the wave that permits strict visibility. But finally using the Obsidian I realized that the Obsidian goes perfectly with the Nobel Encore.....truly after 45 minutes I was thinking........this is perfect!

batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-57fbe777d86e8-1.jpg

Hans Zimmer & Junkie XL
Batman V Superman OST
"New Rules"

96 kHz - 24 bit

The drop at 1 minute 38 seconds..........................

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #6,830 of 13,810
A bit off-topic except for the fact that Penon stocks the tips and because we've just been talking about them, but the M S&S have been perfect on my Sony N3 for the last hour.
I got 2 medium Spiral dots, trade for a medium S&S if any one is interested? :thinking:

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #6,831 of 13,810
My ultimate finding:
Using the Sony WM1Z and Noble Audio Encore, with both the The Obsidian and the Totem:
There is a bass wave, a 2 second drop that I have been concentrating on...this will be in the Obsidian review, the wave has an attack, a middle and an ending. Each cable I used played back this "wave" in a different way. The most profound was the Obsidian and the Totem. But also the S2, H2 and C2 were great, each offering a style unique and a different flavor. The Encore is truly a great testing device as it's so well rounded. Though take note, how I would not necessarily listen all day with the S2 cable and Encore.........but the rest......the H2, C2 Obsidian and Totem were all day styles of output. The Totem though went over the top to produce a style of tremolo to the wave. Because I could hear deeper into the track the wave became louder and longer in time frame........becoming this long drawn out pulse with oscillations and texture......seemingly revealing more than I ever thought was possible.

This "pulsating wave" is probably always there but I have never heard it before. The Obsidian is second best as there is a separation and black background to the wave that permits strict visibility. But finally using the Obsidian I realized that the Obsidian goes perfectly with the Nobel Encore.....truly after 45 minutes I was thinking........this is perfect!

batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-57fbe777d86e8-1.jpg
Hans Zimmer & Junkie XL
Batman V Superman OST
"New Rules"

96 kHz - 24 bit

The drop at 1 minute 38 seconds..........................

"Totem were all day styles of output. The Totem though went over the top to produce a style of tremolo to the wave. Because I could hear deeper into the track the wave became louder and longer in time frame........becoming this long drawn out pulse with oscillations and texture......seemingly revealing more than I ever thought was possible."
- in a natural, realistic way. The decays get extended, longer sustain. This is consistent to all IEMs I connected to it including non Penons...

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #6,832 of 13,810
"Totem were all day styles of output. The Totem though went over the top to produce a style of tremolo to the wave. Because I could hear deeper into the track the wave became louder and longer in time frame........becoming this long drawn out pulse with oscillations and texture......seemingly revealing more than I ever thought was possible."
- in a natural, realistic way. The decays get extended, longer sustain. This is consistent to all IEMs I connected to it including non Penons...
Yes! Strangely I’m continuing to understand the Totem. It’s super intriguing in that somehow your relationship with it starts to change and you gather better understanding? Like getting to know a person? Where at first I thought it was one thing, then later I leaned other things about its personality and now this? I wonder what could possibly be next?

Really I wasn’t supposed to be concentrating on the Totem, it was being used as a style of reference in a 5 cable try-out. So it was supposed to be there only to show contrast into how lesser cables sound. But I discovered more about the Totem anyway......as in a way you can’t help perceive the tone differences?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #6,833 of 13,810
I just figured out the Serials...for a long time I couldn't figure out what was so good about them? I love them! but why... I thought maybe it was a combination of factors...it wasn't PRaT, it wasnt musicality...it wasn't resolution and sound stgae... it definitley could be texture and analogue tonality...but it's more...I stuggled, but I think the problem is psycholigical. Everyone talks about the bass and the Serial , and that's fine...but the Serials, even though they have 3 dynamic drivers aren't about "the bass", its the MIDS!!!!! think about it... if you have the Serial, listen to them but interpret everything through the mids performance... :) Edit" I'm not saying the bass isn't great...

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #6,834 of 13,810
Would say to that both the bass and mids sounds full and engaging, while the treble is polite. Personally love this combination.

Some pieces of audio gear you usually know on first listen that you will keep them, Serial was that for me.

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #6,836 of 13,810
Dec 17, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #6,837 of 13,810
Sedna Standard grey stem
I use this for my short nozzle in ears. Now they (the shells) sit properly on the concha, without ever pushing into the canals...
I was ready to pull the trigger on your recommendation, but finally decided to wait for the Dunu S&S to come, and they turned out to be perfect for the Vortex as well.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #6,838 of 13,810
I just figured out the Serials...for a long time I couldn't figure out what was so good about them? I love them! but why... I thought maybe it was a combination of factors...it wasn't PRaT, it wasnt musicality...it wasn't resolution and sound stgae... it definitley could be texture and analogue tonality...but it's more...I stuggled, but I think the problem is psycholigical. Everyone talks about the bass and the Serial , and that's fine...but the Serials, even though they have 3 dynamic drivers aren't about "the bass", its the MIDS!!!!! think about it... if you have the Serial, listen to them but interpret everything through the mids performance... :) Edit" I'm not saying the bass isn't great...

All Penon Releases starting from the Ear Bud BS1 Official - The Mids are phenomenal "for the money". Believe me nor not, the OG Fan, even with the recessed Mids, are phenomenal as well, nonetheless.
I'm playing the Volts as I type this.

Where each release excel, by Default the Mids are amazingly, very, well made.
BS1 Official - prequel to the Orbs, super analogue tuned
Sphere - balance sound
Orb - the bs1 Official equivalent of an in ear
Globes - Orbs with treble, fast pace
Fan - V shape but great all rounder
Serial - Penon's Bass Master
Volt (w/ Totem) - The Most Holographic and the most hi-fi tuned in ear headphone from Penon
Fan 2 - All Constructive criticism on treble resolution had been very properly addressed here, without getting very hot up top, the Treble head, detail head release, cost of entry is very Penon Fan friendly.

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #6,839 of 13,810
All Penon Releases starting from the Ear Bud BS1 Official - The Mids are phenomenal "for the money". Believe me nor not, the OG Fan, even with the recessed Mids, are phenomenal as well, nonetheless.
I'm playing the Volts as I type this.

Where each release excel, by Default the Mids are amazingly, very, well made.
Sphere - balance sound
Volt (w/ Totem) - The Most Holographic and the most hi-fi tuned in ear headphone from Penon
Fan 2 - All Constructive criticism on treble resolution had been very properly addressed here, without getting very hot up top, the Treble head, detail head release, cost of entry is very Penon Fan friendly.

Listened to the Fan yesterday, and if only the latter side of the V was less pronounced, they could have been my EDC. Great bass and mids as you say. Great treble too, just sensitivity and preferences on my part. Natural time timbre and very spacious.

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #6,840 of 13,810
Sphere - balance sound
Great summery, globe sounds like a IEM i need to buy at a point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back