The PENON official thread
Dec 19, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #6,856 of 13,946
Dec 19, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #6,858 of 13,946
Whenever I hear you talk about the vita in the Vortex I'm tempted. I have been several times with it in the basket about to pull the trigger, but the fact is that for me the Tri Wolfram is perfect... and honestly... I don't need more cables :sweat_smile:

Indeed you probably don’t! The Tri Wolfram is a really nice cable too, just that I haven’t given it that much ear time because it’s so chunky and stiff (what is it with these fabric sleeves?) especially for something as compact as Vortex.

Can you share a link , for this 'Goldilocks cable (Vita) ' ?

Yep, that’s the one. Or if you prefer to get it from Ali, it’s here:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005004556507414.html

Today I realized that cables with or without ear hooks also influence the fit of IEMs. That's why I prefer cables with hooks. Too bad Penon sold many without.

Different folks etc… personally I prefer them without ear hooks (and it was one of the things that first drew me to Penon’s cables many years back) because I also have earbuds and bullet-style IEMs (worn straight down) and I like to maximise the compatibility of my cables across as much of my collection as possible. Also, ear hooks back then were lethal, but I have to say they’ve improved a lot in recent years.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #6,859 of 13,946
Totally depends on the cable for me. I’ve owned cables that have ear hooks so aggressive that they pull the earpiece right out of my ear.
TRN T3 PRO 8 core pure silver cable modular, no cable guide but they have molded the cable way too agressive. Hurts around the ear after a few minutes. Not to mention the very short length, probably says the length in the specs but who reads that🤔.

Must say after testing some bad NiceHck cables and the TRN I appreciate the Penon and ISN cables much more.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #6,860 of 13,946
TRN T3 PRO 8 core pure silver cable modular, no cable guide but they have molded the cable way too agressive. Hurts around the ear after a few minutes. Not to mention the very short length, probably says the length in the specs but who reads that🤔.

Must say after testing some bad NiceHck cables and the TRN I appreciate the Penon and ISN cables much more.

TRN cables can be really hit or miss. I have that T3 and I agree. It’s way too short and the plastic shielding is too stiff.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #6,861 of 13,946
All Penon Releases starting from the Ear Bud BS1 Official - The Mids are phenomenal "for the money". Believe me nor not, the OG Fan, even with the recessed Mids, are phenomenal as well, nonetheless.
I'm playing the Volts as I type this.

Where each release excel, by Default the Mids are amazingly, very, well made.
BS1 Official - prequel to the Orbs, super analogue tuned
Sphere - balance sound
Orb - the bs1 Official equivalent of an in ear
Globes - Orbs with treble, fast pace
Fan - V shape but great all rounder
Serial - Penon's Bass Master
Volt (w/ Totem) - The Most Holographic and the most hi-fi tuned in ear headphone from Penon
Fan 2 - All Constructive criticism on treble resolution had been very properly addressed here, without getting very hot up top, the Treble head, detail head release, cost of entry is very Penon Fan friendly.

Excellent list and notes! ....but need to include the Vortex (which happens to be my fave!)....

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #6,862 of 13,946
Excellent list and notes! ....but need to include the Vortex (which happens to be my fave!)....

My fave too… must say I’ve occasionally wondered why it was missing from a collection as complete as @ehjie ’s :)

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #6,863 of 13,946
Today I realized that cables with or without ear hooks also influence the fit of IEMs. That's why I prefer cables with hooks. Too bad Penon sold many without.
I seem to think that it’s situation by situation thing? Being I can use both and never gave it that much thought, unless maybe a fit issue arrives. But so much of this stuff is attitude, where if you tell yourself your going to do well you do well in the end. I just did a long review with the ISN H2, S2 and C2 cables. Then I noticed that no ear-hooks seemed to work as after putting on the IEM, I simply flipped the cable over my ears and all was well, that they stayed there, so part of no ear-hooks has to do with cable thickness and cable material in general. When I do find a cable with ear-hooks the very best thing is to have you question “Does this cable have ear-hooks” meaning actually don’t pay attention to if an IEM has ear-hooks or not. I know that seems strange but that's how little of an issue it is for me, I simply don’t pay attention. Lol

But the Totem has heavy ear-hooks due to the thickness of the cable that without them the cable may pull the IEMs out of your ear? But once in a while a KZ cable will be thin but then have annoying tight aggressive ear-hooks. So it’s the material the cable and ear-hooks are made with, and the character of the cable material maybe?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #6,864 of 13,946
I seem to think that it’s situation by situation thing? Being I can use both and never gave it that much thought, unless maybe a fit issue arrives. But so much of this stuff is attitude, where if you tell yourself your going to do well you do well in the end. I just did a long review with the ISN H2, S2 and C2 cables. Then I noticed that no ear-hooks seemed to work as after putting on the IEM, I simply flipped the cable over my ears and all was well, that they stayed there, so part of no ear-hooks has to do with cable thickness and cable material in general. When I do find a cable with ear-hooks the very best thing is to have you question “Does this cable have ear-hooks” meaning actually don’t pay attention to if an IEM has ear-hooks or not. I know that seems strange but that's how little of an issue it is for me, I simply don’t pay attention. Lol

But the Totem has heavy ear-hooks due to the thickness of the cable that without them the cable may pull the IEMs out of your ear? But once in a while a KZ cable will be thin but then have annoying tight aggressive ear-hooks. So it’s the material the cable and ear-hooks are made with, and the character of the cable material maybe?
You're right it's depending on the situation. I will try something like https://aliexpress.com/item/32960282818.html on my loose ISN cables. Of course they won't hold well, so I plan to use a Scotch tape. No I don't have Totem cable. Only the mid-tier ISN cables.

Rn I'm testing a 30$ NiceHCK copper cable and its shrink tube hook is pretty good for my ears. Interestingly it holds my Aladdin and HEXA very good, even better then my other cables. Other IEMs are not tested yet. Of course a lot other NiceHCK cables don't have the same hook and are worse.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #6,865 of 13,946
Had one evening trying out the ISN C2 on different sets, loved it on all the IEMs I tried. PXL_20221219_213030761~2.jpg

ISN C2 together with Serial, stock cable is already a very good match. But this do give a little extra thickness to the sound, the details and soundstage stays the same. Also tried around with the DUNU S&S tips, still prefer the Kbear 07 tips on Serial.

What i must say is the quality is top notch on C2, tight connections on the modular part and on the jacks and pins. Also quite soft and no need for ear guide. Need to give it more time, so far I recommend it as a cable upgrade. Didn't hurt that I got a special one made in 160cm for desktop use. Thanks Penon.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #6,866 of 13,946
Fan 2 cable tests:

Comparison of the S2 and Obsidian cables:

I was using the Sony WM1Z with MrWalkman’s firmware. Truly in a little way they are the same as far as personality. Yet after a while you start to realize that even though they are both copper cables the S2 silver adds a slight treble and midrange add. Where it’s offering a slightly fuller fleshed-out portion. Yet at the same time the Obsidian is offering only a slight tone down in the midrange and that lower midrange shows a softness and smoothness. But the kicker is the Obsidian has extra separation of soundstage elements. Meaning the signature is ever so slightly darker but seems to offer more room and distance inside for imaging to travel outwards and be better defined?

Dec 19, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #6,867 of 13,946
Fan 2 comparisons between Obsidian and ISN S2 continued:

Well, if anything from my comparisons I found the S2 to not be too bright with the Fan 2. Because of the Fan 2’s inherent neutrality it can go ether way with a cable or DAP, and can show clarity of cable or DAP personality.

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #6,868 of 13,946
Fan 2 comparisons between Obsidian and ISN S2 continued:

Well, if anything from my comparisons I found the S2 to not be too bright with the Fan 2. Because of the Fan 2’s inherent neutrality it can go ether way with a cable or DAP, and can show clarity of cable or DAP personality.

This is the pairing I’m using now. The S2 is a very nice cable.

Dec 20, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #6,869 of 13,946
Dec 20, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #6,870 of 13,946

Most probably after the Holidays, I'll get a pair. I'm flat broke right now LOL...
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back