The PENON official thread
Dec 18, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #6,841 of 13,931
All Penon Releases starting from the Ear Bud BS1 Official - The Mids are phenomenal "for the money". Believe me nor not, the OG Fan, even with the recessed Mids, are phenomenal as well, nonetheless.
I'm playing the Volts as I type this.

Where each release excel, by Default the Mids are amazingly, very, well made.
BS1 Official - prequel to the Orbs, super analogue tuned
Sphere - balance sound
Orb - the bs1 Official equivalent of an in ear
Globes - Orbs with treble, fast pace
Fan - V shape but great all rounder
Serial - Penon's Bass Master
Volt (w/ Totem) - The Most Holographic and the most hi-fi tuned in ear headphone from Penon
Fan 2 - All Constructive criticism on treble resolution had been very properly addressed here, without getting very hot up top, the Treble head, detail head release, cost of entry is very Penon Fan friendly.

100% agree. The Fan 2 is proof positive that Penon listen to constructive criticism from their fans and make it work with their tuning philosophy.

Penon have been in red-hot form this year. The Fan 2 now stands easily alongside the Vortex as the two best all-rounders in their stable. It’s ready to go out of the box. I had two insane weeks during which I hardly got any ear time while the Fan 2 was getting way more burn in than it might have if I’d actually had time to listen to it. And you know what, I don’t think it changed substantially at all. Maybe some refinements. But nothing you’d be missing if you plugged in and started enjoying them straight away.

OG Fan required burn in, decent amping and a better cable (ideally a good silver one imo). It was way better than the asking price would suggest - fan service by Penon, really - but seems to have flown under the radar for some reason.

Fan 2 on the other hand was pretty much ready to go out of the box. The pairing of OS133 as its stock cable is spot on. And this is coming from someone who apparently always has a bone to pick with stock cables. The OS133 brings an unusually airy soundstage and clarity for its price bracket, which complements the spaciousness of Fan 2’s mids and highs well. Some folks might want to switch it out for a cable with more heft, but you can’t really argue with the detail and texture of F2’s bass.

All of us have unknown ear-tips I think. With a bunch of IEMs there comes a time when you forget the odd tip out there. When you may have remembered for a while, but time passes.....and you lose track. The only way might be to photo-document each pair then try and catalogue them somehow, but even then some may get confused for other tips.

Ironically, I realised it wasn’t the tip I thought it was because I found a photo of the other tip and realised there were subtle differences.

Agreed, we all have unknown tips especially after being in this hobby some time, but it just makes me a little bit anxious when I find a tip that’s a good fit but have no way of getting more of them if they need replacing…

Still digging the Tanchjim tips on the F2, and they seem to do well with some of the other deeper-insertion Penon/ISN iems as well. They’re fairly soft and comfortable (to me) as well, which helps in addition to sizing down.

I cannot use the SS tips with Fan2...stem is too long and I cant get a good fit. JVC Spiral Dots are best for me with the F2

Same here. I’m having a bit of trouble getting a good fit with the Dunu S&S tips. Fwiw, I’m an ML in Spirals, and I appear to be between sizes for this one as well - the M (predictably) doesn’t seal well enough but the L are too large to go deep enough. If anything, they seemed from the measurements like they might be too small but I guess it’s a good reminder not to go by numbers alone.

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #6,842 of 13,931
100% agree. The Fan 2 is proof positive that Penon listen to constructive criticism from their fans and make it work with their tuning philosophy.

Penon have been in red-hot form this year. The Fan 2 now stands easily alongside the Vortex as the two best all-rounders in their stable. It’s ready to go out of the box. I had two insane weeks during which I hardly got any ear time while the Fan 2 was getting way more burn in than it might have if I’d actually had time to listen to it. And you know what, I don’t think it changed substantially at all. Maybe some refinements. But nothing you’d be missing if you plugged in and started enjoying them straight away.

OG Fan required burn in, decent amping and a better cable (ideally a good silver one imo). It was way better than the asking price would suggest - fan service by Penon, really - but seems to have flown under the radar for some reason.

Fan 2 on the other hand was pretty much ready to go out of the box. The pairing of OS133 as its stock cable is spot on. And this is coming from someone who apparently always has a bone to pick with stock cables. The OS133 brings an unusually airy soundstage and clarity for its price bracket, which complements the spaciousness of Fan 2’s mids and highs well. Some folks might want to switch it out for a cable with more heft, but you can’t really argue with the detail and texture of F2’s bass.

Ironically, I realised it wasn’t the tip I thought it was because I found a photo of the other tip and realised there were subtle differences.

Agreed, we all have unknown tips especially after being in this hobby some time, but it just makes me a little bit anxious when I find a tip that’s a good fit but have no way of getting more of them if they need replacing…

Still digging the Tanchjim tips on the F2, and they seem to do well with some of the other deeper-insertion Penon/ISN iems as well. They’re fairly soft and comfortable (to me) as well, which helps in addition to sizing down.

Same here. I’m having a bit of trouble getting a good fit with the Dunu S&S tips. Fwiw, I’m an ML in Spirals, and I appear to be between sizes for this one as well - the M (predictably) doesn’t seal well enough but the L are too large to go deep enough. If anything, they seemed from the measurements like they might be too small but I guess it’s a good reminder not to go by numbers alone.
I have found my lost tips. But much of it is psychology.......it's attitude. Even though ear-tips do absolute changes to the signal, we start to become dependent and will hear those changes on a multitude of IEMs. Now there is no argument that a wide-bore tip will increase soundstage on many IEMs.......but still it's phycological that one single ear-tip would start to be used for 80% of a collection? Just saying.............

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #6,843 of 13,931

This is interesting - the M only just fit in some cases but I'm not always 100% about seal, the L only just fit in some cases, but I'm not always 100% about comfort/keeping seal.

To me it seems their barrels distort very little in the ear, so their lack of ability/softness to expand or compress to provide some leeway means the exactly right size is important.

I'd hypothesize right now that I'd also benefit from a ML S&S tip.

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #6,844 of 13,931
I have found my lost tips. But much of it is psychology.......it's attitude. Even though ear-tips do absolute changes to the signal, we start to become dependent and will hear those changes on a multitude of IEMs. Now there is no argument that a wide-bore tip will increase soundstage on many IEMs.......but still it's phycological that one single ear-tip would start to be used for 80% of a collection? Just saying.............

For me, it’s just that some tips synergize better with some IEMs… you know it happens when it makes you stop wanting to tip roll incessantly and just enjoy the music.

That said, the “goldilocks” tip I could use for 80% of my collection would be the Sednaearfit Max. Very comfortable and they don’t colour the sound. Despite having a waxguard. They’re also spendy but if I could start all over again, my advice to myself would be to get straight to those and save myself from buying all the other tips.

This is interesting - the M only just fit in some cases but I'm not always 100% about seal, the L only just fit in some cases, but I'm not always 100% about comfort/keeping seal.

To me it seems their barrels distort very little in the ear, so their lack of ability/softness to expand or compress to provide some leeway means the exactly right size is important.

I'd hypothesize right now that I'd also benefit from a ML S&S tip.

Yes that’s it. The S&S are quite similar in shape to the inverted epros I’m so familiar with, but the epros are well known (and also sometimes maligned) for being very soft, so soft I never had trouble with even an inverted L in my ear as it (and I) would simply adapt. So yes, a softer material or an ML size might just do the trick.

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #6,845 of 13,931
For me, it’s just that some tips synergize better with some IEMs… you know it happens when it makes you stop wanting to tip roll incessantly and just enjoy the music.

That said, the “goldilocks” tip I could use for 80% of my collection would be the Sednaearfit Max. Very comfortable and they don’t colour the sound. Despite having a waxguard. They’re also spendy but if I could start all over again, my advice to myself would be to get straight to those and save myself from buying all the other tips.

Yes that’s it. The S&S are quite similar in shape to the inverted epros I’m so familiar with, but the epros are well known (and also sometimes maligned) for being very soft, so soft I never had trouble with even an inverted L in my ear as it (and I) would simply adapt. So yes, a softer material or an ML size might just do the trick.

The Max is my default too, but I do find that Spring Tips are still the best choice for some sets.

With so much variety in tips that work well these days it’s almost possible to use a different type with each set to perfectly dial fit and sound.

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #6,846 of 13,931
The Max is my default too, but I do find that Spring Tips are still the best choice for some sets.

With so much variety in tips that work well these days it’s almost possible to use a different type with each set to perfectly dial fit and sound.

Any notable synergies - especially among the Penons? I recall they attenuated too much treble with the few I tried, so they ended up getting put aside pretty quickly.

Dec 18, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #6,847 of 13,931
Any notable synergies - especially among the Penons? I recall they attenuated too much treble with the few I tried, so they ended up getting put aside pretty quickly.

No, not for Penon. My Fan 2 is wearing DUNU S&S. The Meaoes Eagle has Max tips. Spring Tips are working great on the TRI I3 Pro and the IKKO OH10. My Tipsy Ttromso has S&S right now. The NX7 MK4 has Max tips. Hook-X has Max…

I’m missing a bunch but those are the ones that come to mind as particularly good matches, at least in my ears.

Dec 18, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #6,848 of 13,931

HAHA, I know those Goldilocks ones.............80% of collection they work with! Those Goldilocks ones.........don't ever loose them, it's like losing a DAP.

By the way.........here is my H2, C2 and S2 reviews. New cables from ISN.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-audio-h2.26206/reviews#review-29803

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #6,849 of 13,931
.....but still it's phycological that one single ear-tip would start to be used for 80% of a collection?
Perhaps it is because a tip that forms a good seal with one IEM will likely work well with many others. When you find a tip that matches your inner ear shape, it really might be the best option for other IEMs in your collection. But as you say, part is psychological as we get used to the way a new tip affects the sound.

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #6,850 of 13,931
Perhaps it is because a tip that forms a good seal with one IEM will likely work well with many others. When you find a tip that matches your inner ear shape, it really might be the best option for other IEMs in your collection. But as you say, part is psychological as we get used to the way a new tip affects the sound.

The problem is that the shape of your ear and the shape of the tip are only two factors. There’s also the size, shape and weight of the IEM, the length and diameter of the nozzle and the stiffness or looseness of the cable. All have a role to play when trying to achieve a good, consistent seal.

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #6,851 of 13,931
The problem is that the shape of your ear and the shape of the tip are only two factors. There’s also the size, shape and weight of the IEM, the length and diameter of the nozzle and the stiffness or looseness of the cable. All have a role to play when trying to achieve a good, consistent seal.
Cheers! So.....I’m not crazy after all! The length of the nozzle goes with the width of the nozzle to create an effort to arrive at sound personality and technicalities. Where the distance from your ear-drum to the actual driver is often changed with tip-change-out. That distance creates where the maturity of the wave forms. Thus the bass personality, also other sonic traits like treble and midrange authority. The material also has a strange affect on such things.

I like your ideas as to variables of IEM size and weight affecting the sound, as they are also a introduction of the way the IEM sits in the end.

I haven’t thought about looser or stiffer cables making a fit adjustment, but it totally makes sense. There are variables of hardness and firmness of materials which maybe go to counteract the cable personality. It really is a concept for contemplation....if I haven’t contemplated enough already? Meaning I almost view tips as a single entity avoiding scientific study as the science is both an art (even if it’s trendy for scientists to not always admit it’s and art) and compilation of working models in relation to ear-tip design. But still tips end up often one of a kind. And if you don’t know where they came from you can romance them and hold on to them, eventually becoming in love with them. Especially if you can’t get a second pair, ever. Well not ever, nothing is maybe not ever, accept other things besides equipment. Maybe you can find another pair, maybe not.......in your lifetime!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #6,852 of 13,931
HAHA, I know those Goldilocks ones.............80% of collection they work with! Those Goldilocks ones.........don't ever loose them, it's like losing a DAP.

By the way.........here is my H2, C2 and S2 reviews. New cables from ISN.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-audio-h2.26206/reviews#review-29803

I have S2 and C2 and yep, those impressions are pretty much spot on. S2 does pretty much as expected but it was C2 that really impressed me with its technical chops, not unlike the Fiery.

Much as I love the Vortex, I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks it would be better served by a different stock cable. Anyway I’ve found my Goldilocks cable (Vita) for it, so not complaining :)

Dec 19, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #6,853 of 13,931
I have S2 and C2 and yep, those impressions are pretty much spot on. S2 does pretty much as expected but it was C2 that really impressed me with its technical chops, not unlike the Fiery.

Much as I love the Vortex, I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks it would be better served by a different stock cable. Anyway I’ve found my Goldilocks cable (Vita) for it, so not complaining :)
Whenever I hear you talk about the vita in the Vortex I'm tempted. I have been several times with it in the basket about to pull the trigger, but the fact is that for me the Tri Wolfram is perfect... and honestly... I don't need more cables :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #6,854 of 13,931

Can you share a link , for this 'Goldilocks cable (Vita) ' ?

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #6,855 of 13,931
I like your ideas as to variables of IEM size and weight affecting the sound, as they are also a introduction of the way the IEM sits in the end.

I haven’t thought about looser or stiffer cables making a fit adjustment, but it totally makes sense.
Today I realized that cables with or without ear hooks also influence the fit of IEMs. That's why I prefer cables with hooks. Too bad Penon sold many without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back