The PENON official thread
Dec 7, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #3,826 of 13,664
Been writing about the serial this week. The longer I have been using them the more it has grown on me. I would give them some time to really show you all what they are about. They have some sophistication in their DNA that don't necessarily reveal themselves right away. Their detail level combined with a nice wide stage is very addicting.

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #3,827 of 13,664
Now enjoying tubey sound with 3dd.
IMG_20211208_002155.jpgIMG_20211208_002451.jpg
Looks stunning, I’m so tempted only for how serial looks but I don’t know if make sense buy it considering my stuff…

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #3,829 of 13,664
This is directed at those who are familiar with both the Globe and Volt. I'm loving both! I haven't done any tip rolling (using ePro smalls) nor have I done much A/Bing, so this impression could be premature. Also please excuse the fact that I may not have all the proper vocab for sound description.

I'm hearing many of the gains that should be expected from the Volt in the upper treble, even better mids, more details, and the size of the soundstage/layering. However, I feel like I'm noticing that Volt does not have the same impact for bass. It certainly goes deep and is more detailed but I feel it might lack the punch comparatively in the mid-bass. Not the right words for this but I feel like the bass of the Globes put the rest of the frequencies on a shelf acting like the spine for the rest. Volts bass feels a bit rounder and softer. Is this something that is true to their characters or might other adjustments be needed (ex. Tips or amping)

For amping I'm using an LG g8. Not the last word in audio quality but certainly a respectable portable. Might an impedance adapter be useful?

With all due respect, Id like to avoid the cable wormhole, so I'd probably not pursue that direction.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated?

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #3,830 of 13,664
This is directed at those who are familiar with both the Globe and Volt. I'm loving both! I haven't done any tip rolling (using ePro smalls) nor have I done much A/Bing, so this impression could be premature. Also please excuse the fact that I may not have all the proper vocab for sound description.

I'm hearing many of the gains that should be expected from the Volt in the upper treble, even better mids, more details, and the size of the soundstage/layering. However, I feel like I'm noticing that Volt does not have the same impact for bass. It certainly goes deep and is more detailed but I feel it might lack the punch comparatively in the mid-bass. Not the right words for this but I feel like the bass of the Globes put the rest of the frequencies on a shelf acting like the spine for the rest. Volts bass feels a bit rounder and softer. Is this something that is true to their characters or might other adjustments be needed (ex. Tips or amping)

For amping I'm using an LG g8. Not the last word in audio quality but certainly a respectable portable. Might an impedance adapter be useful?
Yes, had V10 in the past and they work.
Volts are medium efficient, they need some power...
My volts are powered by high current 200 mW rms tube (dx229) and 878mW solid state discreet (dx240) so (bass) impact is very much there.
Re: tips
1638901266025.png

With all due respect, Id like to avoid the cable wormhole, so I'd probably not pursue that direction.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated?
The Volt package is complete, this is not a necessity (upgrade cable) per se. So is the Globe w/ the stock cable...

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #3,831 of 13,664
Ok a broad question - my only Penon at the moment is the BS1 Official buds. I've been debating Serial and H50 as one or maybe both final purchases of the year! Are there any others I should consider if I just bought one and spent around $600?!

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #3,832 of 13,664
Yes, had V10 in the past and they work.
Volts are medium efficient, they need some power...
My volts are powered by high current 200 mW rms tube (dx229) and 878mW solid state discreet (dx240) so (bass) impact is very much there.
Re: tips
1638901266025.png

The Volt package is complete, this is not a necessity (upgrade cable) per se. So is the Globe w/ the stock cable...
Thanks very much for the reply. What would be recommended for specs on the impedance adapter? Sorry not familiar enough with electrical knowledge to know what would be ideal.

I'll look into those tips.

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #3,833 of 13,664
Ok a broad question - my only Penon at the moment is the BS1 Official buds. I've been debating Serial and H50 as one or maybe both final purchases of the year! Are there any others I should consider if I just bought one and spent around $600?!
Good question. You want to maximize two sounds from the Penon house. If your gonna go all in. I would do two differing types. Bassy and more balanced. My vote is Serial cus I know your a dynamic fan. Why not 3 dynamics. And a tribrid in the EST50 skipping on the H50. H50 is great for what it is but the top of the ISN food chain is basically Penon top of the line bass earphones. More fun and then serail for a more reference type of tuning and balance. Different contrasts with different sounds but both extremely musical in their own way. Cus getting the H50 might make you want the EST50. Lol.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,834 of 13,664
Thanks very much for the reply. What would be recommended for specs on the impedance adapter? Sorry not familiar enough with electrical knowledge to know what would be ideal.
Imp. Adapter
Your welcome...

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #3,836 of 13,664
Been writing about the serial this week. The longer I have been using them the more it has grown on me. I would give them some time to really show you all what they are about. They have some sophistication in their DNA that don't necessarily reveal themselves right away. Their detail level combined with a nice wide stage is very addicting.
Please can you include a comparison with the shozy SCB2, isn EST50 and the h50?
Thank you!!!!

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #3,837 of 13,664
Its funny after switching to the M6, I found the treble energy a little spicier than I’d liked particularly with Neo + Totem combo.

Interesting but you’re right - I didn’t think I would encounter spicy treble energy with the Serial but it was there with the CEMA Au+Ag.

Speaking of which, here’s a question for everyone in general.

What DAP (ideally budget to mid tier) in your opinion synergizes best with Penon’s house sound? I had to dig pretty far back to find a match - the N5ii with its neutralish to slightly warm natural sound and air, but it’s getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Whilst ePro worked really well with the dongle, I’d actually prefer Spirals (I’m using a size smaller) over ePro here where bass actually sounded beefier, perfect to counteract the edginess up top. Both clarity and musicality are also on point.

I think you might have a point re. the Spirals. Was just wondering if I should try sizing down. I’ve used ML all the years I’ve had the Spirals but with the Serial it feels like I might need an M for them to sit even more snugly in my ears. Might have to source for some and try that. (Probably easiest to order from Penon but they might not arrive until next year…)

Does it exceed the performance of 3DT in your ears?

Not the OP but… yes.

And unlike OP, I actually love the 3DT. But in just two days, the Serial has gulped up the gap between them and is hungry for more.

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #3,838 of 13,664
Please can you include a comparison with the shozy SCB2, isn EST50 and the h50?
Thank you!!!!

will see if time permits. I would like to knock out these reviews as fast as humanly possible but I am a full time health care worker during the day and I have a family I have to go home to after. I just got done with my review of Fiios new FH9 which I haven't posted yet. It is one earphone after another for me. So I only have time during my 1 hour lunch break to write about earphones during the week.

I can tell you the Serial is differently tuned than the earphones mentioned. The SCB2 and EST50 have a similar sound signture with the EST50 having more refinements, more neutral in tonality, Sonion BA detail and Sonion EST treble. SCB2 is like a dynamic version of the EST50 having a richer slightly darker thicker sound profile and the H50 which is more like a Penon earphone and less like a ISN earphone. Serial is similar to how higher end cans are tuned. I will get into it much more so in my review.

The Serial is the Yin with the SCB2 being the Yang. You want to talk about contrasts of sound signtures. The SCB2 is all about the full bodied low end and lower mids emphasis. The Serial is the opposite upper mids and detail oriented well balanced earphone. This is the reason why I suggested to @Scuba Devils a serail and a EST50. Yin and the Yang.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #3,840 of 13,664
Good question. You want to maximize two sounds from the Penon house. If your gonna go all in. I would do two differing types. Bassy and more balanced. My vote is Serial cus I know your a dynamic fan. Why not 3 dynamics. And a tribrid in the EST50 skipping on the H50. H50 is great for what it is but the top of the ISN food chain is basically Penon top of the line bass earphones. More fun and then serail for a more reference type of tuning and balance. Different contrasts with different sounds but both extremely musical in their own way. Cus getting the H50 might make you want the EST50. Lol.

Brilliant, thank you. EST50 similar tribrid to MEST MKII which I'm not a fan of - do you know if they sound similar in as far as technical but less musicality/engagement? It was my love/hate for MEST that led me to a DD obsession!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back