The PENON official thread
Dec 8, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #3,856 of 13,664
Thanks! I need to check those out then. Do you have the Xelastecs as well and how does their air and treble compare to it?

More Neutral, on the Xelas. Grey stem Sedna has better air and treble resolution...
IMG_20211208_101331.jpg
1638944573555.png

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #3,858 of 13,664
Your description of Hana21 sounds about wheelhouse for me. I listen to a lot of instrumental jazz.
I did order Serial today though. I like the concept of three DDs. 3DT didn’t work for me, kind of metallic and 2D, but I’ve read 3DT really benefits from external amp power. Hope that isn’t the case with Serial. Only have wm1a hi gain. Not too much of a risk tho for $300, comparatively. Hoping $10 for expedited shipping makes the long journey a little quicker!
It hits the mark past the minimum power...
1638945011859.png

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #3,860 of 13,664
Interesting but you’re right - I didn’t think I would encounter spicy treble energy with the Serial but it was there with the CEMA Au+Ag.

Speaking of which, here’s a question for everyone in general.

What DAP (ideally budget to mid tier) in your opinion synergizes best with Penon’s house sound? I had to dig pretty far back to find a match - the N5ii with its neutralish to slightly warm natural sound and air, but it’s getting a bit long in the tooth now.

I think you might have a point re. the Spirals. Was just wondering if I should try sizing down. I’ve used ML all the years I’ve had the Spirals but with the Serial it feels like I might need an M for them to sit even more snugly in my ears. Might have to source for some and try that. (Probably easiest to order from Penon but they might not arrive until next year…)
I used to own the CEMA Au+Ag which is similar to Mix, the former I found to be bright like you said as opposed to musical on the latter.

On DAPs, I’d recommend Shanling M6 (21j since I’m using one, hah! Referenced tuned, bass boosted, warm’ish, very detailed, reasonably priced. :k701smile:

Yeah, I love my smaller sized Spirals, sits closer to my eardrum for that maximum clarity. Speaking of which, Spiral indeed offer sharper detail/clarity compared to ePro on my current pairing. Both are good though, ePro is more musical sounding and airier up front.

Oh yes, I’m finally onto the Serial + Flow pairing.
All I got to say is, the Flow ain’t going anywhere anytime soon!

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #3,861 of 13,664
Serial is on its way to me should arrive friday :heart_eyes:

Looks from your impressions that it's a keeper!

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #3,862 of 13,664
Dec 8, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #3,863 of 13,664
On DAPs, I’d recommend Shanling M6 (21j since I’m using one, hah! Referenced tuned, bass boosted, warm’ish, very detailed, reasonably priced. :k701smile:

I was already considering the M3X, now wondering if I should stretch it to the M6 [21] if I see it at a good price.

Any idea how they stack up against Cayin N3Pro or N5ii with respect to Penon IEMs? I found the N3Pro a bit too warm and needing more air for the purpose, which the N5ii is better at… but some days I fear it may be on its last legs…

Yeah, I love my smaller sized Spirals, sits closer to my eardrum for that maximum clarity. Speaking of which, Spiral indeed offer sharper detail/clarity compared to ePro on my current pairing. Both are good though, ePro is more musical sounding and airier up front.

Yeah I’m actually debating now whether to go down one size or two! If I use M in ePro (L also fits, but the S is too small) should I get an M in Spirals as well, or MS?

The ePros are practically my default tips now for Penon.

Oh yes, I’m finally onto the Serial + Flow pairing.

All I got to say is, the Flow ain’t going anywhere anytime soon!

Oooh, more impressions?

Btw I’m rocking my Volt + CEMA PS pairing atm so that will be the one for it to beat :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #3,864 of 13,664
I already have it and enjoy it immensely. It is a totally stellar unit but for female vocals, violin, woodwinds, PIANO, and classical overall, and guitar I prefer the 2021 Hana over the Serial. the slight "roundness" of the Serial is a notable deficit for piano. I am intrigued by the H50 for a "bass-centric" IEM.

1638968554101.png

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #3,865 of 13,664
I was already considering the M3X, now wondering if I should stretch it to the M6 [21] if I see it at a good price.

Any idea how they stack up against Cayin N3Pro or N5ii with respect to Penon IEMs? I found the N3Pro a bit too warm and needing more air for the purpose, which the N5ii is better at… but some days I fear it may be on its last legs…

Yeah I’m actually debating now whether to go down one size or two! If I use M in ePro (L also fits, but the S is too small) should I get an M in Spirals as well, or MS?

The ePros are practically my default tips now for Penon.

Oooh, more impressions?

Btw I’m rocking my Volt + CEMA PS pairing atm so that will be the one for it to beat :)
Ah.. the M3X is equally nice with strong battery life to boot though I’ve read that it isn’t as detailed? Maybe someone here who has it might be able to provide some insight?

I’m usually on ML with Spirals, M fits just as well but fitment could be iffy at times like say if I’m laying down where seal wouldn’t be as good. Likewise ePros in M is my go to with Penons.

I’m eager to hear more feedbacks from yourself and @ehjie (I believe he has the Leo Plus amongst many other cables) before I made mine. :deadhorse:

Since we‘ll have a similar setup soon, I’d love to hear how similarly or differently we’d hear on the pairing. :L3000:

Man, even the color matches! indulge me in the pairing if you don’t mind later on as I’m contemplating getting the Volt.

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #3,866 of 13,664
Ah.. the M3X is equally nice with strong battery life to boot though I’ve read that it isn’t as detailed? Maybe someone here who has it might be able to provide some insight?

I’m usually on ML with Spirals, M fits just as well but fitment could be iffy at times like say if I’m laying down where seal wouldn’t be as good. Likewise ePros in M is my go to with Penons.

I’m eager to hear more feedbacks from yourself and @ehjie (I believe he has the Leo Plus amongst many other cables) before I made mine. :deadhorse:

Since we‘ll have a similar setup soon, I’d love to hear how similarly or differently we’d hear on the pairing. :L3000:

Man, even the color matches! indulge me in the pairing if you don’t mind later on as I’m contemplating getting the Volt.
Next year, i'll be getting the Flows, too. The Leo plus is good, but I believe the Flows are better, being new tech pure silver.
Team @Penon is among / at the forefront of cable design and build...

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #3,867 of 13,664
This is freakin' awesome on the Serials (lol)

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #3,869 of 13,664
If you hit the PowerBall, you will need to buy all the Oriolus offerings!
...And if i hit the powerball or any lotto for that matter. I'll design and build an end game IEM. all our comments consolidated.
This SET will...

1638979134594.png

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #3,870 of 13,664
M3X battery life is insanely good but it's definitely a warmer, less detailed source in my opinion. It really depends what it's paired with. Works well with my Legends since they are already so resolving, but didn't go well with things like Serial/Aladdin. The M6 Pro 21 I had for a while was "cleaner" and tuned more towards neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back