The PENON official thread
Dec 9, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #3,887 of 13,837
What did you hate about the MEST?

For the most part, I don't find it very engaging - just doesn't connect with me. Sometimes it does and I enjoy but not often - I was trying tonight, then switched to another IEM (FAudio Dark Sky) and dramatic improvement... retaining most of the technical but adding better bass, mids, treble, coherency, and overall engagement/emotive connection to music!

In general though, I do prefer single DDs to hybrids etc.

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #3,889 of 13,837
Yep and to add to this, Leo isn’t short on bass, doesn’t make the music any leaner than it actually is, and injects a lot of air in the soundstage. It’s also very natural and musical - very extended treble, not sharp or forced at all.

Thanks for the extra bit of information. I guess all good quality especially
thicker cored pure silver cables shared such desirable trait.

I don’t usually burn in my cables either - they usually sound as they should out of the box but Flow was so different from Leo I thought it worth asking… or maybe it’s just not fair to compare a brand new cable with one that’s been working almost non-stop for 3+ years already…

Or some brain burn-in required? I’m sure the spaciousness will happen. Like you said your Flow literally just rolled out from the factory. :dt880smile:

I don’t have the Mix… do you know if it’s similar to the PAC480? That one was a pleasant surprise - hadn’t expected to like it so much that I bought another one.

The Mix is similar to the two versions of CEMA MS Hybrid.

Mix - Pure Silver / Single Crystal Copper
MS - Pure Silver / 7N Litz Frozen Single Crystal Copper
MS - 99% Pure Silver + 1% Gold / 7N Litz Double Frozen OCC

CS819 - OCC + OCC Silver-plated Mixed
PAC480 - OCC + OCC Silver-plated Mixed

I’ve a database on all Penon/ISN lineup in my signature if you are interested to dig in on specs.

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #3,890 of 13,837
Do you know if the 9038D (or S, for the matter) works on iPhones now? The sound is really tempting and I was reading up about them at one point but getting it to work with an iPhone looked so complicated I got distracted…

The other thing is battery drain, which is also why I’m using my W2 a bit less than I thought and looking at DAPs again.

iPhone Cables for the 9038S&D
by staticV3 over at E1DA Discord

Dec 10, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #3,891 of 13,837
image3(2).jpeg

So I have received the Serial today, quick pics...

image2(2).jpeg

image0(3).jpegimage1(3).jpeg

Impressions coming soon, first I set them up for burn in :)

Dec 10, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #3,892 of 13,837
Wow @davidmolliere Serial looks gorgeous!
looking forward your impressiosn :)

Dec 10, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #3,893 of 13,837
Front Page!

1639071200668.png

woohoo!
I'm on medium gain. V=25 is comfortable for me. I can't get it over 35. Either your source material is recorded at a low volume, or you're well on your way to going deaf!

Be careful!! :)
Like I mentioned concert level loud...
Lol
And that doesn't mean the listening entirety. Want to be sure consistency of what I'm hearing in Low and loud volume levels...

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #3,894 of 13,837
image3(2).jpeg

So I have received the Serial today, quick pics...

image2(2).jpeg

image0(3).jpegimage1(3).jpeg

Impressions coming soon, first I set them up for burn in :)
Those look killer! I am very interested in these, and can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #3,895 of 13,837
The big question: I have and love the 3DT, do I need the serial?

They complement and trade punches with each other really well. Like two sides of a coin, with Serial skewing warmer towards the lower mids and adding a big slab of Penon bass.

The Mix is similar to the two versions of CEMA MS Hybrid.

Mix - Pure Silver / Single Crystal Copper
MS - Pure Silver / 7N Litz Frozen Single Crystal Copper
MS - 99% Pure Silver + 1% Gold / 7N Litz Double Frozen OCC

CS819 - OCC + OCC Silver-plated Mixed
PAC480 - OCC + OCC Silver-plated Mixed

I’ve a database on all Penon/ISN lineup in my signature if you are interested to dig in on specs.

Thanks! Helps to see everything in one place. Will try PAC480 on the Serial at some point. Volt maybe tonight…

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #3,897 of 13,837
Those look killer! I am very interested in these, and can't wait to hear your thoughts.

I love the shells indeed... they are more diminutive than one would thing for 3DD I'll post pics near the Orb and Globe but they're more on the Orb side size wise. the fit is easy but on the deeper side.

So... first impressions!
I have set them for burn in for 8 hours before giving them a listen out of the M17 yes, flagship DAP but 3DD need power to shine so let's check out that potential!

First the overall signature is very coherent and smooth and deceptively mature in the price segment but I have come to expect that from Penon :) The stage width is above average but not the focus of the Serial. On the other hand it's a tall stage with excellent height and very good depth, which makes it really immersive.

Let's start with the bass, there is no shortage of bass presence. The sub bass presence is fantastic and the sheer power of the 10mm driver is clearly felt. This is one for bassheads no doubt about that :) I am fairly certain things will settle down and improve with burn in which is exciting as it's already very very good after just 8h burn in. Now the mid bass is just as powerful, the DD is clearly moving air there it's physical with a powerful presence when called for. It needs juice to really shine I can tell as I had to turn up the volume a bit to reach the best performance. Serial can scale for sure and to get the best bast control you'll need a powerful source. Maybe contradictory for a 300$ IEM but I think this one plugged to an affordable (169$) Zen Can (which I own and tried as well out of RS6) scales up big time in terms of control, speed and authority. A smart choice if you want to enjoy Serial to its fullest but a good DAP balanced will do the trick to a lesser extent.

Now the midrange, one of Penon strong suit and hallmark in terms of tuning... well Serial is not only a basshead IEM meant for certain genres. It's much more versatile that that and can do Jazz as well as EDM. Obviously you won't get Legend or Volt performance but the 8mm titanium plated driver sure does a superb job and again I expect things to be even better as burn in progresses. This is a full bodied, smooth and lively midrange that lives up to Penon house sound. The main star of the show is not separation though as instruments are so big sounding and authoritative, there isn't much space between instruments but they have a power that is quite addictive and immersive and fun. Some might find the midrange lacks bite but it's unoffensive and safe with a warmth infused from the bass yet the bass don't bleed into the midrange.

Last but not least, the 6mm treble PU driver was properly tuned and faithful to Penon house sound again. It features excellent extension and brings some welcome air and balance to powerful lows and a full bodied midrange. I was a bit surprised that the lower treble lacks a bit of weight which shows in piano notes, but on the other hand it's a safe lower treble with a smooth delivery. Note that all this might change as DD change more dramatically with burn in but after just 8h burn in that's how I hear it. Now the upper treble is well extended with excellent speed for a dynamic. It's not quite as fast as BA treble but still it's an excellent performance and the Serial is everything but dark or closed in. The upper treble clearly help bring air to the mix and open the Serial nicely balancing out a powerful bass and full mids. You just won't find the refinement that struck me with the Orb at this price point nor will you find the airy highs and blazing fast transients of EST but nor should you expect this. All in all Penon found a good balance to the tuning with a safe and smooth delivery that doesn't sacrifice on air and decent resolution. Things might refine with burn in obviously so this is first impressions and should be taken that way.

Overall the Serial is a faithful variant of Penon house sound taking advantage of DD qualities except maybe for a weighter lower treble I really think Serial is a well born 3DD IEM and is excellent value for money at its price point. To sound its best though it must be fed good power and juice but luckily there are interesting choices out there either in affordable DAPs like DX160 or amps like Zen Can. Heck I tried serial with the decently powerful iFi Audio Go Blu and it performed admirably. I'll come back with more impression after significant burn in but let me tell you, Penon did it again IMHO!

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #3,898 of 13,837
Nice impression David!
Thanks

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #3,900 of 13,837
Hi, I’m still a newbie here but I’ve got Penon Globe and H40 recently and was really impressed how they euphorically sound! Their musicality is addicting and seductive.
Now I’m waiting for Serial and Mix cable to come. I appreciate this community to share informative impressions!
They (the Globe) have a different tonality and presentation.
Penon doesn't do superseding. I'm shy of (1) set the Legend to complete my Penon collection and I can verify that.
The Serials are more neutral in the mids compared to the Globes which is a bit warm.
Some comments re: the Globe to be less resolving, the Serials offer better detail retrieval - and noticed this distinction, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back