The PENON official thread
Dec 12, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #3,901 of 13,992
Hi, I’m still a newbie here but I’ve got Penon Globe and H40 recently and was really impressed how they euphorically sound! Their musicality is addicting and seductive.
Now I’m waiting for Serial and Mix cable to come. I appreciate this community to share informative impressions!

Fantastic choice with both Serial and Mix. Do share with us your thoughts on the pairing and I hope you opt for express shipping. :)

Dec 12, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #3,902 of 13,992
It seems to me there is no wow factor on Serial, it sounds okay but not great. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am thinking perhaps I just add H50 into my ISN collections

This'll depend on your preference.
Both are very good value for money, good technicalities, excellent pleasantness.
Treble - The Serial will never be as good as an est treble, but the dynamic is excellent, nonetheless. A wow for me for less than a usd.299 set.
The H50 treble is brighter, more extended than the bodied, better resolving treble of the Serial.
Bass - Sub bass better on the '50, full bodied bass (also qualified to be a basshead) on the Serial.
Mids - albeit technicalities goes to the '50 (being ba receivers), but the level of engagement is higher on the Serial, without a noticeable compromise on the detail retrieval aspect
Staging ( i suppose width is a draw, or a slightly wider '50, I used final type-e black)
H50 - deeper (audible margin)
Serial - Higher (huge margin)
Scale of imaging - Serial

IMG_20211211_104636.jpg

There will always be ISN lovers as well as Penon mids lovers.
This is what I am hearing from my set.
Enjoy your music folks....

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #3,903 of 13,992
So @rawbine asked for a Volt comparison and it took a little longer because time does funny things when I put Volt in my ears.

If Penon made speakers, the Volt might be what they’d sound like. Moving from the Serial, you’re immediately hit with a bigger, warmer, more refined and simply more immersive experience. It’s simply an upgrade all round.

In particular, the Volt steps up whenever soundstage and atmosphere matter - whether it’s acoustics at a live performance or a small studio jam. I suspect it’s the upper treble from the ESTs at work here.

Likewise, vocals are predictably richer on the Volt but also more detailed and nuanced. I’m hearing not just notes, but the singers producing the notes, if that make sense.

It’s not in any way an indictment of the Serial. After all, the Volt costs more than twice as much. But for the tangible range of hifi improvements that it brings, I’d say it earns its keep, especially if you already know and love the Penon house sound.

And now cable pairings:

CEMA PS
So far my pick to go with the Volt. Bigger well defined low end, good amount of extension in the highs. It also seems to subtly clean up the sound - background is noticeably blacker, and notes sound a bit more three-dimensional and better defined without losing their nuances. They don’t feel etched at all, just more well rounded relying on nuance rather than outright contrast to bring that 3D effect. Besides, the PS looks so good with the Volt. Even the hardware matches perfectly. Yes I’m superficial.

CEMA Ag-Au
Quite similar to the PS, but with a slight tilt towards the highs and slightly less bass boost and 3D effect as the trade off. I haven’t explored this pairing that thoroughly yet but seem to prefer it slightly for vocals.

Flow
Comes across a bit louder and more forward than the other two. It doesn’t thin out the sound in any way but nevertheless makes me think the Volt likes a smidge of copper to show off its best qualities, much like how Serial wants a bit (or in my case, a lot) of silver in its cable.

Quick note on fit

Volt is bigger (no brainer there) and I can’t wear it for as long as the Serial without it starting to hurt. But interestingly I realised that on the Volt, ML Spirals fit like a dream, unlike on the Serial where I was wondering if I’d suddenly gone down half a size.

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #3,904 of 13,992
How do these cable pairings compare with the OSG and the Totem? I presume the latter is best of all of them.

Dec 12, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #3,905 of 13,992
So @rawbine asked for a Volt comparison and it took a little longer because time does funny things when I put Volt in my ears.

If Penon made speakers, the Volt might be what they’d sound like. Moving from the Serial, you’re immediately hit with a bigger, warmer, more refined and simply more immersive experience. It’s simply an upgrade all round.

In particular, the Volt steps up whenever soundstage and atmosphere matter - whether it’s acoustics at a live performance or a small studio jam. I suspect it’s the upper treble from the ESTs at work here.
they're as realistic as they can get. That's a promise. Scaling wise as well as the degree of realism is source dependent, i.e. the better the source etc...

Likewise, vocals are predictably richer on the Volt but also more detailed and nuanced. I’m hearing not just notes, but the singers producing the notes, if that make sense.

It’s not in any way an indictment of the Serial. After all, the Volt costs more than twice as much. But for the tangible range of hifi improvements that it brings, I’d say it earns its keep, especially if you already know and love the Penon house sound.
They're one of the very best in any price range. The Serial tuning sounds very premium.. More approaching to flagship level than middle of the range
For folks that are into the Penon house sound, and on the fence of getting a pair, The Serial is the best way to start.
I noticed, If I'd consolidate all our impressions in this thread - very consistent performer.
Packaging (due to improved case) - 5/5
the tips - 4/5
the stock cable - 5/5. There is NO need to upgrade for folks that don't hear any difference in cable rolling. Cable upgrade was never an imperative
Finish, overall physical quality - 5/5
The tuning - 5/5

Volt is bigger (no brainer there) and I can’t wear it for as long as the Serial without it starting to hurt. But interestingly I realised that on the Volt, ML Spirals fit like a dream, unlike on the Serial where I was wondering if I’d suddenly gone down half a size.
I should've CIEM the Volt, this was my regret. It cost usd 70 to have my impression - now realising it was not that expensive..
Very hopefully, next time around will allocate this amount...

Dec 12, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #3,906 of 13,992
How do these cable pairings compare with the OSG and the Totem? I presume the latter is best of all of them.
Paring w/ the Volts?

OSG is an excellent cable, giving off a better bass texture, richer mids, slightly brighter tone.
The Totem can be best describe as the further addition of amounts in fullness, richer, detailed frequencies, impression that the stage "seem larger" on all directions,
Despite giving off a high degree of density, doesn't sound congested at all - even on complex paasages.
The Totem clusters / groups instruments and voices so as not to sound exaggeratedly separate, and there's a continuity of the instruments / voices being played.
Also, despite being tribrid - coherence was never an issue - there is seamlessness all the way.
The degree of realism is higher and very significant...

I tried the Totem on
Acoustune 1670 and Solaris classic - relatively the same result as above...

Dec 12, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #3,907 of 13,992
Paring w/ the Volts?

Thanks, Ehjie -- yes, I meant pairing with the Volt. BTW, I'm in the market for a Volt if anyone is thinking of selling (and an OSG cable too).

Dec 12, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #3,908 of 13,992
I noticed, If I'd consolidate all our impressions in this thread - very consistent performer.
Packaging (due to improved case) - 5/5
the tips - 4/5
the stock cable - 5/5. There is NO need to upgrade for folks that don't hear any difference in cable rolling. Cable upgrade was never an imperative
Finish, overall physical quality - 5/5
The tuning - 5/5

I vaguely recall you mentioning the case before but it was only when I received the Flow that I realised what you meant. For some reason my Serial came with the old one. I don’t really mind though. The new case that came with the Flow is slightly longer and slightly more structured which is nice, but the zipper on mine is a bit stiff compared to the old one which is just so smooth.

Agree with the rest. Especially the stock cable. I don’t know if it ever came through clearly enough in my comments on the Serial that its stock cable is an excellent pairing and cannot be beaten unless you throw something on it that is wildly disproportionate to its price.

I should've CIEM the Volt, this was my regret. It cost usd 70 to have my impression - now realising it was not that expensive..
Very hopefully, next time around will allocate this amount...

Yes, this is my one regret with the Volt as well. I occasionally even think of selling it to rebuy as a CIEM… only to come back to earth.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #3,909 of 13,992
They (the Globe) have a different tonality and presentation.
Penon doesn't do superseding. I'm shy of (1) set the Legend to complete my Penon collection and I can verify that.
The Serials are more neutral in the mids compared to the Globes which is a bit warm.
Some comments re: the Globe to be less resolving, the Serials offer better detail retrieval - and noticed this distinction, too.
Sounds good! Actually, having the Globes, I was wondering if I should buy the Serials , and trying to get the Volts in a used market. Maybe I will get them too, though.

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #3,912 of 13,992
Sounds good! Actually, having the Globes, I was wondering if I should buy the Serials , and trying to get the Volts in a used market. Maybe I will get them too, though.
Yes, you should - to both.
Just my 2 cents, totally different presentations...

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #3,913 of 13,992
I'll give a quick shot at comparison since I own both Globe and Serial, as for Volt in my top 5 listening time of all my IEMs, Legend is going to be in that spot as well Penon has done it again!

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #3,914 of 13,992

And now cable pairings:

CEMA PS
So far my pick to go with the Volt. Bigger well defined low end, good amount of extension in the highs. It also seems to subtly clean up the sound - background is noticeably blacker, and notes sound a bit more three-dimensional and better defined without losing their nuances. They don’t feel etched at all, just more well rounded relying on nuance rather than outright contrast to bring that 3D effect. Besides, the PS looks so good with the Volt. Even the hardware matches perfectly. Yes I’m superficial.

CEMA Ag-Au
Quite similar to the PS, but with a slight tilt towards the highs and slightly less bass boost and 3D effect as the trade off. I haven’t explored this pairing that thoroughly yet but seem to prefer it slightly for vocals.

Flow
Comes across a bit louder and more forward than the other two. It doesn’t thin out the sound in any way but nevertheless makes me think the Volt likes a smidge of copper to show off its best qualities, much like how Serial wants a bit (or in my case, a lot) of silver in its cable.

Quick note on fit

Hey @-rowan-, Cheers for all the succinct details on the Volt. I honestly didn’t expect such lengthy reply from you. Much appreciated!

I totally get what you mean on the Volt + Flow pairing and with that I take it as an indicator that we may have similar sonic preference. Just like the Serial, the more silver there is the merrier!

Nah ain’t superficial, man/women of taste, aesthetics must match! I’m like that too. I might like the PS from what you shared, there’s also the Palace Series I’m eyeing on.

I’m not much of a person who compares which is better or looking at acquiring the best amongst them as I’d believe each and every of Penon’s in-ear are unique.

Though I must admit, the Volt is the cap I’m willing to spend. Hah. There’s one other issue that’s bothering me at the moment, that being the cable called Totem. Should I or should I not? Life’s hard having to make such decision!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #3,915 of 13,992
Hey @-rowan-, Cheers for all the succinct details on the Volt. I honestly didn’t expect such lengthy reply from you. Much appreciated!

I’d believe each and every of Penon’s in-ear are unique.

Though I must admit, the Volt is the cap I’m willing to spend. Hah. There’s one other isuue that’s bothering me at the moment, that being the cable called Totem. Should I or should I not? Life’s hard having to make such decision!
(May I chime in)
Short answer (short term plan): NO, of course not. You shouldn't. The Volt is a complete package. I will never forget the day I receive my set. It was difficult to unhear from the very 1st notes the Volt presented. and very sad that the other flagships are at bay after 300 hours weathering. The Volt gets the most listen time, even otg. always in the go-bag!
That Pig tail is enough.

(after 6 months pass by)
Long term plan : The Totem hoists the Volt into the True Flagship, end of game realm. period

Users who are viewing this thread

Back