The PENON official thread
Dec 6, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #3,811 of 13,664
Thanks! I need to check those out then. Do you have the Xelastecs as well and how does their air and treble compare to it?

Yes, got the xelas on hand. Will share impressions soon...

1638821834102.png

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #3,812 of 13,664
Thanks! I need to check those out then. Do you have the Xelastecs as well and how does their air and treble compare to it?

The Chemicals are high on my playlist as well and they’re so much fun on the Serial. I agree with all your impressions here. Mine hasn’t even had that much time to burn in but its stage is opening up beautifully and the drivers work so well together. No driver flex whatsoever on mine either.

These are going to be keepers.

WOW. Thank you for reminding me I have Spiral Dots kicking around. They just shot to the top of the pile alongside the Xelastecs for breathing spades of air and treble in the Serial.

To my ears (and this is only after repeated A/Bing), I’d say the Spiral Dots have a small edge in treble extension and clarity, while the Xelastecs are the more musical of the two and sound a bit more hi-fi. They also have a bit more bass. I’m very, very happy with both of them though.

ePros are close runners-up IMO. They help the Serial extend very well but don’t bring that very last bit of clarity or musicality for me to put it above those two. They also have a bit more bass so it’s a good compromise for anyone who doesn’t need the last ounce of treble.

Current setup: Serial + Leo + Xelastecs + N5ii + VE RAP5. No it doesn’t actually need amping but that extra power sounds glorious.

Sure! FedEx just needs to hurry up and bring me my Flow. Though I wouldn’t deny that the real trouble lies in getting the Serial out of my ears first… :)

Your Serial has so much red! Was it a special request or did they just do it like that?

15E03DE6-B1E8-40E5-9157-7DF3DFE92821.jpeg

For some manufacturers, they could well be different models…
Your Serial's colors really "pop". Mine are rather drab in comparison. Did you use any special lighting for the photo?

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #3,813 of 13,664
Your Serial's colors really "pop". Mine are rather drab in comparison. Did you use any special lighting for the photo?
Nope, it’s just the iPhone’s usual tendency to make everything look better than it apparently is! I’d actually thought the left one looked a bit underwhelming irl compared to the right, but it turned out that it’s just that much more subtle. I love it. And I won’t have any trouble telling left from right.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #3,814 of 13,664
Is anyone willing and able to provide some comparison information on SQ for the Penon Volt vs. the Oriolus Isabellae? I listen most often to non-orchestral classical music (baroque and earlier; vocal/opera).

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #3,815 of 13,664
WOW. Thank you for reminding me I have Spiral Dots kicking around. They just shot to the top of the pile alongside the Xelastecs for breathing spades of air and treble in the Serial.

To my ears (and this is only after repeated A/Bing), I’d say the Spiral Dots have a small edge in treble extension and clarity, while the Xelastecs are the more musical of the two and sound a bit more hi-fi. They also have a bit more bass. I’m very, very happy with both of them though.

ePros are close runners-up IMO. They help the Serial extend very well but don’t bring that very last bit of clarity or musicality for me to put it above those two. They also have a bit more bass so it’s a good compromise for anyone who doesn’t need the last ounce of treble.

Current setup: Serial + Leo + Xelastecs + N5ii + VE RAP5. No it doesn’t actually need amping but that extra power sounds glorious.

Sure! FedEx just needs to hurry up and bring me my Flow. Though I wouldn’t deny that the real trouble lies in getting the Serial out of my ears first… :)

Cheers for the insight.

Its funny after switching to the M6, I found the treble energy a little spicier than I’d liked particularly with Neo + Totem combo. Whilst ePro worked really well with the dongle, I’d actually prefer Spirals (I’m using a size smaller) over ePro here where bass actually sounded beefier, perfect to counteract the edginess up top. Both clarity and musicality are also on point.

On the subject of amping, the Serial indeed love power! often begging you to crank up the volume!

Hurry up FedEx! LOL :deadhorse:

No worries, whenever your mood permits!

Dec 7, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #3,817 of 13,664
1638878181194.png

(Kind of)
reminds me of this album, when I look @ those shells.
1638878102315.png

...wonder why

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #3,819 of 13,664
Here's another addition to the Serial coloring gallery. Just arrived; I haven't even listened yet. Sorry, no light box or anything, just a flash shot from my Samsung phone. A perfect red is right - green is left set.

Hey, I just gave these a listen. I was expecting to be 'meh' about these ... from some of the comments, and my so-so reception of the 3DT. But these sound really good. REALLY good for the price point. I was expecting boomy bass and rolled off treble. I don't hear any of that.

Bravo!

Edit: I guess the secret is to have lousy expectations!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #3,820 of 13,664
Hey, I just gave these a listen. I was expecting to be 'meh' about these ... from some of the comments, and my so-so reception of the 3DT. But these sound really good. REALLY good for the price point. I was expecting boomy bass and rolled off treble. I don't hear any of that.

Bravo!

Edit: I guess the secret is to have lousy expectations!
Does it exceed the performance of 3DT in your ears?

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #3,821 of 13,664
Dec 7, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #3,822 of 13,664
Dec 7, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #3,824 of 13,664
Please play and enjoy the entire album.
Folder.jpg

and if you memorise by heart "You are the sunshine...", "lookin' for another..." or "Superstition"
be prepared to be surprised.

as the great artist said:
“Here is my music. It is all I have to tell you how I feel. Know that your love keeps my love strong. – Stevie"

The top they breathe, sparkles are no longer taking the back seat, takes no effort in hearing them, lots of percussion going on, awesome voices, Stevie's keyboard simply... oh I'm lost for words, lol.
I'll leave it to you folks to re-discover...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back