The PENON official thread
Dec 3, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #3,781 of 13,731
Sounds Like another Homerun for Team Penon..
1638472053841.png
Love the track btw, Fantastic in every sense, There a *Lata' vocal finesse going on (pardon the pun)...
*the Nightingale
Sonics/substance : 5/5

1638472409462.png

Nadia is one of the tracks I use in my Reference playlist, great for testing out DAPs and headphones! Love that one...

An all time favorite and a staple on my test playlist.

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #3,782 of 13,731
6A6C6A3A-DEBA-447E-B9DF-DC9A35C199A7.jpeg

@ehjie @H T T

Serial + Neo

The “Yin” of CS819.

For maximum clarity, detail retrieval, soundstage, imagining, instrument separation, treble energy, sparkles and air. Not bright just vivid.

The low end did took a small hit, not as full bodied but then again there’s plenty to go around on the Serial.

The synergy of this pairing is totally right up my alley.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #3,783 of 13,731
Very Nice colours!
1638554705699.png

:darthsmile::beyersmile:

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #3,784 of 13,731
Dec 3, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #3,785 of 13,731
Building it up for the Serial.
This is going to be a "tough crowd" list

Including this, very easy to disern, the level of mid fluidity.
This is a very personal track for me. We will soon find out if it moves...

My Tough Crowd Playlist
Added this sublime, lovely tune from down under. There's some Sigur Ros melancholy thrown in there, and the voice is ethereal...

There are similarities...

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #3,786 of 13,731
Not much else is known, Penon announced they will release 3DD (Serial) and 1DD (?). Pure speculation but I think it could be higher end Volt/Legend levels.
Now that we are currently
Legend, Volt, Globe, Serial, Orb, Sphere, Fan,
There's a considerably large gap between the Volt and the Globe.
Looks like a logical (also a speculation) gap filler this 1 dd...

Dec 4, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #3,788 of 13,731
Now that we are currently
Legend, Volt, Globe, Serial, Orb, Sphere, Fan,
There's a considerably large gap between the Volt and the Globe.
Looks like a logical (also a speculation) gap filler this 1 dd...
There’s still room between Sphere and Orb.
$170 - $260, could be another mid-ranger.

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #3,789 of 13,731
Now that we currently have (in usd.)
Legend; 1,299, Volt; 799, Globe; 339, Serial; 299, Orb; 249, Sphere; 159, Fan; 139,
There's a considerably large gap between the Volt and the Globe @ 460.
Looks like a logical (a speculation) gap filler this 1 dd.
If that's the case, 460/2+339 = 569 , there's a lot of players (single, multi drivers/receivers) in that range - stiff comp!
But then again, that could be a semi end game Penon tuned set...

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #3,790 of 13,731
Very Nice colours!
1638554705699.png
:darthsmile::beyersmile:
Lol, the 1st set arriving is H50,
Serial experiencing brisk sales HK and nearby.
My set got separated & it's still in HK...

1638601521598.png

Dec 4, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #3,791 of 13,731

Who would’ve thought a Western film would get me back in to Reggae lol. The Harder They Fall soundtrack really impressed me, flowed with the film so well. I had to listen to it again after watching it.

Koffee’s voice sounds superb with the Serial. Not bass light either, hit some satisfying low notes. Nice sub bass rumbles when called for too.

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #3,792 of 13,731
Trying some different tips. Seems the 3 drivers on the Serial needs a bit of momentum to really become fuller bodied and better nuanced. I ended up trying the old inverse starline tip mod that ends up being like a horn to your ears. Unbelievable what that does. Sound becomes grander with greater note weight and a wider stage.

If you guys have never tried the inverse mod before for your unused tips. Give that a go. I say unused because this mod you can easily do for tips that come with most earphones that end up in the tip canister. What it ends up doing is making the stem longer sitting on the nozzle of IEMs and also opening up the mouth of the tips which sometimes doubles the diameter of the opening. It makes useless tips something you would actually buy extras of just to have.

Ever since discovering this tip mod I haven't had the need to buy a bunch of expensive tips. I think the one thing tip manufacturers need to realize is that most aftermarket tips stems seems a touch short vs the caps or skirts of the tip. Inverse mod fixes that issue. Serial to me sounds way better the more tube it has to your ears. Or a longer tip sitting on its nozzle. This is what I meant by momentum. Serial does seem a bit more tip dependent than other Penon IEMs.

Try this inverse mod. It will open up the Serial sound and enhances all of its qualities.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #3,793 of 13,731
Trying some different tips. Seems the 3 drivers on the Serial needs a bit of momentum to really become fuller bodied and better nuanced. I ended up trying the old inverse starline tip mod that ends up being like a horn to your ears. Unbelievable what that does. Sound becomes grander with greater note weight and a wider stage.

If you guys have never tried the inverse mod before for your unused tips. Give that a go. I say unused because this mod you can easily do for tips that come with most earphones that end up in the tip canister. What it ends up doing is making the stem longer sitting on the nozzle of IEMs and also opening up the mouth of the tips which sometimes doubles the diameter of the opening. It makes useless tips something you would actually buy extras of just to have.

Ever since discovering this tip mod I haven't had the need to buy a bunch of expensive tips. I think the one thing tip manufacturers need to realize is that most aftermarket tips stems seems a touch short vs the caps or skirts of the tip. Inverse mod fixes that issue. Serial to me sounds way better the more tube it has to your ears. Or a longer tip sitting on its nozzle. This is what I meant by momentum. Serial does seem a bit more tip dependent than other Penon IEMs.

Try this inverse mod. It will open up the Serial sound and enhances all of its qualities.

For those that don't like the sensation of the inverse surface of some tips, the ePro Horns can do a somewhat similar job possibly more comfortably. I usually need to use one size smaller for the ePros. Usually, I use a medium but with the ePros I use a small.

商品%2B品牌bn_下.jpg

In general, I have tried the Serial with several sources and think the Paw S1 is a particularly good match, for my tastes. The S1 gives the Serial a bit more soundstage depth, though it is still not that deep. It also firms up notes/transients as pianos have that percussive attack that they should. I found the Serial had rounded attack on percussive instruments with the L&P W1.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #3,794 of 13,731
Serial first impressions + quick comparison with UM 3DT

Haven’t had time to burn in the Serial yet but I fully expect it to improve (as Volt did).

Both are very musical and coherent with great timbre. Serial for vocals; 3DT for classical, jazz and acoustic instruments.

B7357E25-EFF4-4D61-9C23-3BF0516A4CB5.jpeg

Serial (left) all the way for fit and comfort. No contest.

Bass - Serial. Already extremely listenable out of the box.

Neither has the last word in sub bass extension or rumble though Serial does it better between the two. It’s not that fast or detailed atm but I expect it to tighten up and possibly extend better with burn in.

Mids - Serial

Mids aren’t that thick and lush by Volt standards, but they are more versatile to me. Vocals especially sound very natural. But 3DT aims for a more “reference” tuning in general.

Treble - 3DT

It’s what makes the 3DT so vivid without being fatiguing and gives it the edge in detail retrieval, and this is where the Serial loses ground. Serial does have greater lower treble energy than say Volt, but I really could use more air on top. I need to add the caveat that I was a bit of a treblehead in a past life and still tend to notice these things more, so YMMV.

Cable

Penon obviously believe in cables (duh) and it shows. The CS819 stock cable is pretty damn good. After rolling through 8-9 cables up to the $150 mark, I was about to conclude that the stock cable was still the best fit.

But I noticed that the cables with more silver in them were among the more successful pairings.

So I threw my old pure silver Leo on it and… WOW. Threw open the treble just like that. It extended the low end a bit as well and all that, but treble air was really what the Serial was missing and the Leo brought it in.

It might be a bit crazy to pair the Serial with a cable that costs almost as much but it speaks to the quality of the Leo that it made such a difference to the sound (since the budget XINHS 8-core pure silver didn’t do the same favours for it).

(Oh and the 3DT cable? It’s not bad sonically but the less said about its ergonomics and earhooks, the better.)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #3,795 of 13,731
Serial first impressions + quick comparison with UM 3DT

Haven’t had time to burn in the Serial yet but I fully expect it to improve (as Volt did).

Both are very musical and coherent with great timbre. Serial for vocals; 3DT for classical, jazz and acoustic instruments.

B7357E25-EFF4-4D61-9C23-3BF0516A4CB5.jpeg

Serial (left) all the way for fit and comfort. No contest.

Bass - Serial. Already extremely listenable out of the box.

Neither has the last word in sub bass extension or rumble though Serial does it better between the two. It’s not that fast or detailed atm but I expect it to tighten up and possibly extend better with burn in.

Mids - Serial

Mids aren’t that thick and lush by Volt standards, but they are more versatile to me. Vocals especially sound very natural. But 3DT aims for a more “reference” tuning in general.

Treble - 3DT

It’s what makes the 3DT so vivid without being fatiguing and gives it the edge in detail retrieval, and this is where the Serial loses ground. Serial does have greater lower treble energy than say Volt, but I really could use more air on top. I need to add the caveat that I was a bit of a treblehead in a past life and still tend to notice these things more, so YMMV.

Cable

Penon obviously believe in cables (duh) and it shows. The CS819 stock cable is pretty damn good. After rolling through 8-9 cables up to the $150 mark, I was about to conclude that the stock cable was still the best fit.

But I noticed that the cables with more silver in them were among the more successful pairings.

So I threw my old pure silver Leo on it and… WOW. Threw open the treble just like that. It extended the low end a bit as well and all that, but treble air was really what the Serial was missing and the Leo brought it in.

It might be a bit crazy to pair the Serial with a cable that costs almost as much but it speaks to the quality of the Leo that it made such a difference to the sound (since the budget XINHS 8-core pure silver didn’t do the same favours for it).

(Oh and the 3DT cable? It’s not bad sonically but the less said about its ergonomics and earhooks, the better.)
Thanks for your impressions! I see that you have the Timeless - how does the Serial stack up against one of the biggest hype train of 2021?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back