The PENON official thread
Mar 6, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #2,206 of 13,664
All these comments comparing the Volt to the revered Elysium just bring to light how good the Volt really is, and how the price is so reasonable. Granted, there are numerous excellent IEMs in the $800 range, but the Volt offers something very unique, where I can’t think of another similar sounding IEM. While the Volt probably would not be my personal choice if I were to have only one IEM, it is complementary to pretty much everything out on the market.

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #2,207 of 13,664
All these comments comparing the Volt to the revered Elysium just bring to light how good the Volt really is, and how the price is so reasonable. Granted, there are numerous excellent IEMs in the $800 range, but the Volt offers something very unique, where I can’t think of another similar sounding IEM. While the Volt probably would not be my personal choice if I were to have only one IEM, it is complementary to pretty much everything out on the market.
I couldn't agree more about this, Volt is tremendous value for money and a unique signature as well.
Right now this is what I am looking for above all else in DAPs, IEMs or headphone, something that sounds different with a strong tuning intent.
It's probably more polarizing but I am not looking for the all in one IEM or DAP anymore so...

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #2,208 of 13,664
I'll post an in depth comparison in my Elysium review... but yes those IEMs are complimentary especially given how their respective mids are tuned. Volt is the more relaxed and smooth with less upper mids bite and lower treble energy, and overall warmer tilt where Elysium is a vibrant IEM with more reference sounding tonal balance.

Stage wise, I think the differences in perception is probably related to source (even if I am talking of custom fit Volt and Elysium in my case). Both Volt and Elysium need power to shine, Elysium more so (R6 2020 can't really drive it well enough) but still Volt stage size is related to the power you can feed it. Properly powered, Volt has more depth and height which makes him more holographic where the Elysium has more width as well as more precise imaging but really the stage size is not intimate with Volt with any of my DAPs (Shanling M8, DX300, R6 2020).

The suprising item is upper treble, where Volt is just as good as the Elysium with more emphasis given its conservative lower treble tuning. It's one very distinctive quality of Volt, it's smooth and relaxed but extended and highly refined up top. This makes for a relaxing yet very impressively resolving.

As for orchestral, I'd probably pick the Elysium with both its outstanding separation and instrument size, in fact anything instrumental is just superb with the Elysium. That's even more true using an desktop amp where you can clearly see the Ely needs a LOT of power to be properly driven. Midrange is more vibrant and more articulate than Volt.
Re R6 2020, 750mW is not enough power to properly drive Ely?

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #2,210 of 13,664
I'll post an in depth comparison in my Elysium review... but yes those IEMs are complimentary especially given how their respective mids are tuned. Volt is the more relaxed and smooth with less upper mids bite and lower treble energy, and overall warmer tilt where Elysium is a vibrant IEM with more reference sounding tonal balance.

Stage wise, I think the differences in perception is probably related to source (even if I am talking of custom fit Volt and Elysium in my case). Both Volt and Elysium need power to shine, Elysium more so (R6 2020 can't really drive it well enough) but still Volt stage size is related to the power you can feed it. Properly powered, Volt has more depth and height which makes him more holographic where the Elysium has more width as well as more precise imaging but really the stage size is not intimate with Volt with any of my DAPs (Shanling M8, DX300, R6 2020).

The suprising item is upper treble, where Volt is just as good as the Elysium with more emphasis given its conservative lower treble tuning. It's one very distinctive quality of Volt, it's smooth and relaxed but extended and highly refined up top. This makes for a relaxing yet very impressively resolving.

As for orchestral, I'd probably pick the Elysium with both its outstanding separation and instrument size, in fact anything instrumental is just superb with the Elysium. That's even more true using an desktop amp where you can clearly see the Ely needs a LOT of power to be properly driven. Midrange is more vibrant and more articulate than Volt.

Thanks very much for the thorough description. I’m having a little trouble getting a handle on the idea of the unique tuning approach you mention but I guess that’s inevitable. Luckily I have been offered a chance to audition one. It won’t be for a couple weeks but I’m really looking forward to it.

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #2,211 of 13,664

Interesting comments. If I may, what kind of iem would be the “only one”? The comments about the “unique” signature have the potential of being polarizing and I’d hate to be on the wrong side of that... ha ha.
I’m being impatient as I have been offered an audition and it would be foolish to order something with this offer in place... but this hobby preys on impatience and an impetuous nature...

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #2,212 of 13,664
Interesting comments. If I may, what kind of iem would be the “only one”? The comments about the “unique” signature have the potential of being polarizing and I’d hate to be on the wrong side of that... ha ha.
I’m being impatient as I have been offered an audition and it would be foolish to order something with this offer in place... but this hobby preys on impatience and an impetuous nature...
I feel like listening to vinyl with the Volt sometimes.

Why don’t I send it to you first (next week) and you can relay it to @Rockwell75 after you are done auditioning.

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #2,213 of 13,664
Mar 6, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #2,214 of 13,664

Why don’t I send it to you first (next week) and you can relay it to @Rockwell75 after you are done auditioning.
Extremely generous of you.. Thanks!!

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #2,215 of 13,664
I would want a bit more treble quantity, and less mid bass for a sole IEM. By unique, the Volt has a special blend of warm smoothness, no harshness, and mild treble that is surprisingly well extended, just not very prominent, yet plenty of detail is still present. It needs A LOT of time burning in to achieve proper sound, but it is still not to everyone‘s taste.

Very apt description.

Mar 9, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,216 of 13,664
Just enjoying the music, gazing at life, thinking... :) One of my best blind buys ever!!! Thank you @davidmolliere.

P.S. Bass on the Volt is very pleasing, easily camparable with TOTL IEMs.

Attachments

• C9183DBF-5702-4E82-8DCC-DA7891D4A2EC.jpeg
    C9183DBF-5702-4E82-8DCC-DA7891D4A2EC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #2,217 of 13,664
Just enjoying the music, gazing at life, thinking... :) One of my best blind buys ever!!! Thank you @davidmolliere.

P.S. Bass on the Volt is very pleasing, easily camparable with TOTL IEMs.
Such great IEMs. These were a very pleasant surprise for me too, especially as they were a bit of an impulse buy. Amongst my many pairs of IEMs, I find the Volts and my EE Odins getting WAY more playtime than all my others combined - which says a lot about how really great these are.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #2,218 of 13,664
I surprisingly continue to have interest in the Volt, because so many long term members here give it love. I say "surprisingly" because the consensus description of this set is not within my typical preference; sure seems it's agreed the Volt are mid-centric (something I'm not after as those frequencies are the easiest to discern, and not something I usually want taking prominence any more than they naturally do) and very polite up top (I do not, thankfully, suffer from treble fatigue as many do; I prefer high frequencies to have some bite; when a cymbal is whacked, I want to hear it like it's live).

All that said, I appreciate Penon as a company, especially as someone who came back to the hobby not quite a year ago after a long hiatus, needing to learn about the explosion in quality Chi-fi offerings. It's been an awful lot to sort through, but it seems Penon is one of the good ones.

Maybe if we can get the Volt at a discount come next winter, I'll take a chance. Not likely I'd talk myself into them at current retail price.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #2,219 of 13,664
mid...frequencies are the easiest to discern,

I would agree. For me it's not just about discernment but connection. The midrange is the gateway to the emotional centre of our music and a when well rendered can facilitate a greater sense of intimacy and depth of feeling than is possible when they are pushed in the background, too thin, or not properly textured. YMMV etc. etc.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #2,220 of 13,664
Penon Globe is coming!

97AEB7F3-B047-4BFD-9DED-713B26AFB4DE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back