The PENON official thread
Jul 12, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #331 of 13,619
I’ve been away from the IEM market for years and now I’m getting back into it.
I like my FX850 bass a lot. I was wondering if you could compare the overall sound of the Orb to this. I haven’t heard any newer IEMs. My collection is ancient (Eg, Heir Audio 8.a, Future Sonics MG6pro).
Thanks!

I take it your a bass fan. Lol. Compared to the FX850 Bass has some similarities. Sub bass is strong on the Orbs mid bass has good punch. I think FX850 has a bit more in the way of mid bass but Orb is not lacking in the punch department. Where the main difference is will be the mids. The FX850 I never thought had too much in the way of recessed mid bands like some may say but it is not exactly forward either. The Orbs I can say more mids forward vs FX850 giving it a more intimate engaging vocal range. Treble on the Orbs is a bit reserved compared to the FX850 but otherwise if you wanted a vocal forward sub bassy sound signature the Orbs is this. It is similar to the FX850 in that they both are very musical sounding and less technical. The Orbs will have the full mid bands that are lacking on Future sonic earphones.

Forgot to mention stage wise I FX850 will be a big wider but depth and height is where the Orbs will have a leg up on the FX850. Stage is not lacking on the Orbs either.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #334 of 13,619
Like a lot of you guys here already do, I will soon own both the orb and h40.. ended up giving in and buying both. Seller is a nice guy, let me go down to $335 and will throw in a 2.5mm mmcx cable for me.

I see that you, like many others, sticking to a budget is but a fairy tale :smile:

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #335 of 13,619
Like a lot of you guys here already do, I will soon own both the orb and h40.. ended up giving in and buying both. Seller is a nice guy, let me go down to $335 and will throw in a 2.5mm mmcx cable for me.
Well, at least they seem quite different and complementary to each other.

Jul 13, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #336 of 13,619

Congrats already! They're both for keeps. I still miss the H40 sound so I'll grab one when my budget allows or wait for a steal deal (not that it's not a fair deal as brand new). If ever ISN release an updated H40 without driver flex and with a bit more tamed midbass then that's gonna be more tempting for me. Haha!

Jul 13, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #337 of 13,619
Someone just offered me the ISN h40 for $160 and Penon orb for $220, or $365 if I want both. I would prefer to just get one so I'm torn..
If you can afford it get both and pass on the one you don't want to keep at the same price?

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #338 of 13,619
Sweet thing.jpg
A former vinyl junkie's dream come true.

"And I will stroll the merry way
And jump the hedges first...
...And I will never grow so old again
...Sugar-baby with your champagne eyes
And your saint-like smile" - V.M.

passed the 250 hours, everything's neutral now, more dynamic, mids more revealing as ever, those trebles show more than before...

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #339 of 13,619
Sweet thing.jpg
A former vinyl junkie's dream come true.

"And I will stroll the merry way
And jump the hedges first...
...And I will never grow so old again
...Sugar-baby with your champagne eyes
And your saint-like smile" - V.M.

passed the 250 hours, everything's neutral now, more dynamic, mids more revealing as ever, those trebles show more than before...
Yea the burn in helps. The vocals are so enjoyable.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #340 of 13,619
I take it your a bass fan. Lol. Compared to the FX850 Bass has some similarities. Sub bass is strong on the Orbs mid bass has good punch. I think FX850 has a bit more in the way of mid bass but Orb is not lacking in the punch department. Where the main difference is will be the mids. The FX850 I never thought had too much in the way of recessed mid bands like some may say but it is not exactly forward either. The Orbs I can say more mids forward vs FX850 giving it a more intimate engaging vocal range. Treble on the Orbs is a bit reserved compared to the FX850 but otherwise if you wanted a vocal forward sub bassy sound signature the Orbs is this. It is similar to the FX850 in that they both are very musical sounding and less technical. The Orbs will have the full mid bands that are lacking on Future sonic earphones.

Forgot to mention stage wise I FX850 will be a big wider but depth and height is where the Orbs will have a leg up on the FX850. Stage is not lacking on the Orbs either.
Thank you so much! This helps a lot. So much has changed over the past few years, I'm trying to catch up on how the current in ears compare to my old ones. I AM a bass fan :). I also have AT's CKS1000. btw, I always appreciated all the awesome information you shared with fellow Head-Fiers.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #341 of 13,619
Oh wow a blast from the past. I also still have my CKS1000. Those were the golden years for Audio Technica. Unforunately AT has been passed up. They still come out with some newer phones but generally cost way more than they should. Same with JVC unfortunately.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #342 of 13,619
Oh wow a blast from the past. I also still have my CKS1000. Those were the golden years for Audio Technica. Unforunately AT has been passed up. They still come out with some newer phones but generally cost way more than they should. Same with JVC unfortunately.
Can you change your tag-line?

Jul 14, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #345 of 13,619
It’s amazing how many good in ears and headphones there are these days that cost way less than the stuff I used to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back