The PENON official thread
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #12,616 of 13,821
Reason why I am posting about these is because these will be launched tomorrow on Penon site. These are shockingly great sounding.

Do they have a 'tizzy' treble emphasis like UM? UM tend to de-emphasise upper mids and boost mid treble creating a spicy, incisive and metallic sound. The offshoot is improved perceived clarity and space but it's nearly always at the expense of midrange body and presence.

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #12,617 of 13,821
I've contacted Penon to ask for a graph for the TSMR -X. Surely they can't launch it without people even seeing how it measures? I know I have certain tastes and preferences, so it's a must for me. They look great though.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #12,618 of 13,821
I know this is the Penon site but I had to post about these here as well cus there is some relations here for this brand with Penon. Penon is going to launch an IEM brand they helped develop and market in the Tansio Mirai brand They are pretty much the exclusive dealers when it comes to Tansio Mirai IEMS sold for the western audiences on their web site. If you dont know about Tansio Mirai. They have been around almost the same amount of time as Penon has. And just like Penons excellent 10th anniversary IEM. Tansio Mirai will also introduce their version of the 10th anniversary IEM simply called the TSMR-X.
1706160761668.png
TSMR X

2 DD+ 4 BA + 1 custom film retarding driver Hybrid IEM

Driver configuration
One side with 7 drivers, both sides total 14 drivers
Low frequency: 2 x 8mm strong magnet dynamic, hollow coaxial structure, Carbon mixed diaphragm
Mid frequency: 2 x Knowles balanced armature
High frequency: 2 x Sonion balanced armature
Full frequency effect: 1 x custom film retarding driver (this driver is detachable design, frequent disassembly is not recommended)

Frequency response: 5-30kHz
Impedance: 10Ω
Sensitivity: 103dB

Low frequency control switch settings

Default standard tuning mode is 020, recommended to use this mode as a reference.
20 x frequency division elements on both sides make the accurate and scientific tuning.
Bass enhancement (100 Mode), control factor: 0.51
Standard tuning (020 Mode), control factor: 1.0
Low frequency attenuation (003 Mode), control factor: 1.47
*The higher the control factor, the lower the low frequency energy.
*All switches are turned off to NO BASS mode.
*0 indicates that the switch is closed downward, and 1/2/3 indicates that the switch is opened upward.

As per the sound. This was my take on them on the 2nd day of burn in and listen.

Day 2 of the TSMR X.

These got an overnight workout and some quality desktop time using my Fiio K9 Pro ESS.

You know who these will appeal to? CA Andromeda fans and IER-Z1R, UM fans. I was trying to put my finger on exactly what level of sonics we are dealing with on these.
If these are going a bit under $400 range for price. These are gonna rock the boat for up to 1K level plus IEMs. Its not just the technical chops of these things but its got an airy quality to the sound that will make you pay attention to whatever you're listening to.

I messed around with the tuning switches a bit just now and this will go from absolute flat neutral sounding with all switches down, quite boring if you ask me to a full on almost basshead level of bass with a flick of some switches. TSMR IEMs of past always had tuning switches but I can't recall one like this where the switch makes an obvious difference.

It comes with the mid switch in the forward position which is its reference balanced sound so it comes this way. But then when you flick the 1 switch or bass switch. BOOM. Its definitely adding about 3-4dbs of extra bass end in the mix. Surprisingly it works amazingly well. It seems Tansio Mirai has learned a thing or two about just how much is required to make the switch actually function the way it should be and to fully utilize the dual 8mm carbon based dynamics for bass.

The bass switch makes more of a difference than something like the Yanyin Canon or anything else I have heard that is minus one Penon Turbo where the switch adds a Ludacris amount of bass. To be honest I never see a real need for the full bass on the Turbo as it is just a bit too much but these. The TSMR X is actually listenable bass boost. It takes on a very nicely done L shaped tuning with the bass switch. They take on an entirely different sound profile with this switch and not just a mild boost like they have done in the past. To say this is the best bass boosted sound I have heard from Tansio Mirai is an understatement and they had some doozies.

I can see the advancement of their work from the Sands and the Lands to these. That reference tuning however is just fantabulous. If these are selling for $400 and lower. I simply can't imagine IEMs to sound much better at that price point. Its mids are just liquid with an atmospheric dimensional quality to the sound, fully 3D to its make up. Its treble is sparkly and shimmery--Reminds me a bit of the old OG Andromeda type of sparkle. But then it has this dual 8mm carbon based bass performance that is about as good as it gets at this price point, and it's got legit variability with the switch.. Hmmm a new contender? Folks that love them some Yanyin Canons, Tansio just made their version and it is a much more refined Canon. These things are not just good. They are crazy good. They sound better and better every time I put them in my ears. We will see how much these will go for but for now this is one IEM to keep a watch out for. I do believe that Tansio Mirai has just made a statement piece.

Bass
So the bass end of the TSMR-X is fantastic. It is by far Tansio Mirais best bass implimentations I have heard, even over the Sands and the Lands. It is 2 8mm carbon based dynamics stacked on top of each other coaxially. If you guys have ever owned an IEM that is designed this way for the bass end. Lets just say it is not lacking in both quality and quantity, which is variable. You can get big bass from a flick of the switch and the quality of the bass end don't suffer.

I do believe there is some bass bleed on the full bass on mode for some fun aspect to its tuning but again that is an option most IEMs don't give you.. You want a full bored bass? one switch and you get it. One of the absolute best implimentations of bass boost with a switch I can recall next to the Penon Turbos. Except this time instead of a dual Sonion Acupass Bass BAs. You get two very capable carbon based dynamics for better agility, impact and rumble.

I would have never in a thousand years would have guessed Tansio Mirai of all people will be putting out a very capable dynamic bass based IEM. ( These guys are traditionally all about BA sets) But then these are much more than just how good the bass is. All of it is exceptional. The mids are more neutral in emphasis but whats got me in a tizzy is just how ambient the entire sound is. It is shockingly airy to the likes of much higher end IEMs. Might have something to do with that newer vent driver they are using.

I am hopelessly addicted to it. Its included cable enhances technicalities with a slight skew for treble emphasis. Tried the Simgot LC7 cable and it gives the overall sound a bit more warmth and skews the sound for more mids an bass. This iem has been for me anyways one of the biggest surprises for me in years.

In comparison to their Lands and Sands IEMs
YES. Mids are just a dimensional as the Lands but slight bit more forward and more airy in comparison. Does not have the big upper mid and treble shelf of both the Lands and or the Sands. The Sands has a bit too much in the treble department that can cause fatigue if you dont have the right cable and source to use them on.

Sands in the end is more v shaped in comparison and a bit too technical for its own good. Lacks some musicality. I think they learned a thing or two vs these but more so they have been tuing for higher end stuff like the RGBs and their recent Halos. And I am certain the TSMR-X has a bunch of trickle down aspects of both higher end IEMs as well, especailly in the balancing department. The TSMR-X can easily be sold for double and folks would praise them up n down for how good they sound. I own IEMs that cost more than double to these that these sound better to my ears, MEST being one of them.

For fans of the IER-Z1R. Yes I can even say you folks might enjoy these quite a bit. They are not exactly what the Z1Rs are but the TSMR-X is much easier to drive to get a full bored sound out of. Bass fans will absolutely love these.. Mids fans will absolutely love these.. Treble fans will absolutely love these. What happens when you get all 3 aspects of the sound and your a fan of all 3? A must buy.

The reason why I know so much about Tansio Mirai is because I own and heard just about all of them including their flagships. Anyone ask me which Tansio Mirai to look into regardless of cost.

That's a very simple answer right now.
Thanks for your impressions.

I've been eyeing them since they appeared in my radar.

How do they compare against the Penon 10 AE?

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #12,619 of 13,821
Do they have a 'tizzy' treble emphasis like UM? UM tend to de-emphasise upper mids and boost mid treble creating a spicy, incisive and metallic sound. The offshoot is improved perceived clarity and space but it's nearly always at the expense of midrange body and presence.
Not exactly. I wouldn't call the treble aspects on the TSMR-X to be Tizzy. Definitley sparkly and extended. Not fatiguing but defined incredibly well. Something to do with that new vent driver they installed on there. Will post about that here shortly.

I've contacted Penon to ask for a graph for the TSMR -X. Surely they can't launch it without people even seeing how it measures? I know I have certain tastes and preferences, so it's a must for me. They look great though.
They sound a bit harmonish with a slight bass bias and treble bias or more of a U shaped emphasis. Sound like a moderate amount of upper mids has a bit more female vocal emphasis vs male vocals but some of the most spacious sounding mids I have heard, again has to do with that new venting driver they put in it. I am sure there will be graphs to come out. With bass boost it sound a bit more L shaped emphasis.

Thanks for your impressions.

I've been eyeing them since they appeared in my radar.

How do they compare against the Penon 10 AE?
Will get back to you on that. I want to say Penon 10th has a cetain addictive energetic sound to it. The TSMR-X is a bit more eligent in presentation. A touch more reference balancing. Again that new venting driver seems to give the TSMR-X a distinctive level of refinement.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #12,620 of 13,821
So a bit more info on the TSMR-X, I asked about the new venting driver installed on it. I can assure you guys it is exactly how this decription of what the driver does for the TSMR-X. One thing it does not go into is how that affects the imaging of the sound. In a word..HOLOGRAPHIC!

About TSMR X film slow pressure driver , it is similar to 64Audio, but it's not the same.Here is the introduction of the tuning :

The film slow pressure driver creates a more comfortable and relaxed listening feeling, which not only expands the sound field, but also makes the overall sound more natural and smoother, and the bass is more flexible.

Hollow coaxial structure dual dynamic driver, the rear driver through the hollow’s hole complete sounding, and produce a certain push-pull force on the front driver, not only to ensure sufficient energy, but also to provide a richer sense of layer, so that the quality and quantity of low frequency are greatly improved.

Using more efficient filtering technology, the background sound is cleaner, the mid-frequency vocal is clear and pleasant, the spatial stratification and positioning are clearer, and the high frequency is smooth and non-irritating.

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #12,622 of 13,821
The actual RP on the TSMR-X is at $699. Will be sold on Penon site for $399. These are a freaking steal at that price. Absolutely a statement piece if I have ever heard one. Believe me at the $699 level folks would be praising how good these sound. At $399 it is an unbelievable value.
Do you have a graph to share? I believe you have quite an extensive library of FR graphs which will help potential consumers at least determine if the overall tonality is a match for them before buying. If you are not allowed to share a graph yet, do you have a timeframe when Penon or TSMR will allow you to?

Also, do you know when the X will be available for sale on the Penon page?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #12,623 of 13,821
"I want to say Penon 10th has a cetain addictive energetic sound to it. The TSMR-X is a bit more eligent in presentation."

The TSMR-X is less "energetic" than the 10th AE? That's crazy, because to me the 10th AE sounded quite bland and overly conservative. Sounds like a pass for me if this is true.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #12,624 of 13,821
The TSMR-X is "less exciting" than the 10th AE? That's crazy, because to me the 10th AE sounded very bland and overly conservative. Sounds like a pass for me if this is true.
Do you have an IEM that compared to the 10th is more “exciting”? In what way is it more exciting? It’s all relative, and more so relative to each person :)

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #12,625 of 13,821
Do you have an IEM that compared to the 10th is more “exciting”? In what way is it more exciting? It’s all relative, and more so relative to each person :)
I was paraphrasing. I edited my original post to include the quote from Dsnuts.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #12,626 of 13,821
One thing it does not go into is how that affects the imaging of the sound. In a word..HOLOGRAPHIC!

Holographic you say?

A75ED87D-BCCD-453A-8345-D78F92577314.gif

Too bad I have exactly $6 left in IEM funds. Maybe next year.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #12,627 of 13,821
"I want to say Penon 10th has a cetain addictive energetic sound to it. The TSMR-X is a bit more eligent in presentation."

The TSMR-X is less "energetic" than the 10th AE? That's crazy, because to me the 10th AE sounded quite bland and overly conservative. Sounds like a pass for me if this is true.
Well in the full bass switch mode. It has more authority for bass in both impact and rumble over the 10th. If I was to guess it has at least 10-12dbs of coaxial bass. If you never heard IEMs in this stacked dual push pull bass configuration. It is absolutely oppotise of relaxed. Lol.

I want to say in the reference mode where I feel the tuning is special. Its in this mode that sound becomes very elegant. Very audiophile. And this is perhaps the real trump card for the TSMR-X. It can become a bonified bass IEM to something much more elegent and precise in its presentation. Its variabilitiy is really outstanding.

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #12,628 of 13,821
Well in the full bass switch mode. It has more authority for bass in both impact and rumble over the 10th. If I was to guess it has at least 10-12dbs of coaxial bass. If you never heard IEMs in this stacked dual push pull bass configuration. It is absolutely oppotise of relaxed. Lol.

I want to say in the reference mode where I feel the tuning is special. Its in this mode that sound becomes very elegant. Very audiophile. And this is perhaps the real trump card for the TSMR-X. It can become a bonified bass IEM to something much more elegent and precise in its presentation. Its variabilitiy is really outstanding.
Do you have an FR graph to share? As you have many IEMs it should make it possible for us to find something to compare it to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back