The PENON official thread
Jan 14, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #12,451 of 14,001
You seem like a nice enough guy, but maybe consider how your mother or partner or friends or colleagues would have responded if you had shown them your post. None of us are perfect, and I know I have more than a few of those kinds of posts on my record, but seriously, seems more than a bit over the top.

Look everyone can have an opinion without other people getting overly worked up about it. My wife loves cheese, and while I think that's nearly heresy I still love her and try not to go after her too much for her taste in spoiled milk... to each their own!
Well, it is true that everyone has a right to their own opinion. And.....believe it or not these opinions are the very gold Head-Fi of what is about. People come here for buying advice and spend the most precious thing they have here.......no not money, they spend their time......here reading.

And yes, as posted in the past few posts.....the more grounded Quattro opinions, the more middle of the road views on the Quattro are going to serve the most service to the readers. And in the end may be the most factual? Maybe?

That no perfect IEM has ever been invented, yet I don’t think Penon would waist their time producing a dud? Sure I need to hear the Quattro, it’s all just so surprising? :) Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #12,452 of 14,001
Well, it is true that everyone has a right to their own opinion. And.....believe it or not these opinions are the very gold Head-Fi of what is about. People come here for buying advice and spend the most precious thing they have here.......no not money, they spend their time......here reading.

And yes, as posted in the past few posts.....the more grounded Quattro opinions, the more middle of the road views on the Quattro are going to serve the most service to the readers. And in the end may be the most factual? Maybe?

That no perfect IEM has ever been invented, yet I don’t think Penon would waist their time producing a dud? Sure I need to hear the Quattro, it’s all just so surprising? :) Cheers!

You make it sounds like the “authorised” opinion about this IEM has to be at least “mid”, otherwise it’s slandering and not “factual.” Idk man, it does not sound right.

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #12,453 of 14,001
There is always another factor that comes along when buying IEMs, especially hand tweaked ones. Unit Variation. There are ALWAYS some units that don't perform according to specs and usually they are the first to be found in the classifieds. It hard to return them and say that 'my pair don't sound right'. A simple fact of life when buying IEMs that is one reason for not getting the Joy. This is separate from the 'people have the 'different tastes' reality, which is true and runs concurrent with difference in units. Sound QC is a real thing. Sadly it leads to rows and arguments.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #12,454 of 14,001
Just adding my experience of the Quattro. For me it is intensely musical, with wonderful timbre and a lush thick tonality. I don’t find there to be any shortage of detail, though it is not an analytical style of IEM.

The nature of this hobby is that probably all who have commented so far are correct: For some it is clearly not a tonality that works. My preference is very much on the warm, analogue end of the spectrum, and for me the Quattro is the best in my collection, overtaking the 10th and EST50.

Perhaps there is some unit variation, as I would certainly not say the Quattro lacks treble. But then I find many IEMs to have very intense treble (including the 10th).

If you are considering the Quattro and have a preference for bright, crisp, technical, resolving or balanced tunings, maybe look elsewhere. Should your preference be for warm, lush, rich and musical IEMs, this is a very good option.

Disclaimer: I’m just a middle aged guy who likes music, with no connection to any seller or manufacturer. All my music gear was bought with my own money. My hearing is treble sensitive, and musical tastes are eclectic, but primarily EDM, rock and folk, at least today.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #12,455 of 14,001
You make it sounds like the “authorised” opinion about this IEM has to be at least “mid”, otherwise it’s slandering and not “factual.” Idk man, it does not sound right.
No, it can be any way it works out to be. Yet the craziest thing is we both are talking about an IEM that neither of us have heard. I’m just saying that.......sure his take on an IEM can be proclaimed to be all sorts of things.......any thing he wants. I mean IEMs are heard many different ways, and sure some major (manufacturers) (players) in this game have produced singularly bad IEMs, I just don’t guess the Quattro to be one of them?

There is no authorization process, though I’m sure many feel my very own reviews read exactly that way. I’m only guessing here that the way we are as writers and interpreters of IEMs can flow to the extreme at times, when reality is more (middle) grounded. And just like others have suggested, the Quattro may be interpreted as a great $399.00 IEM or maybe not, but I just don’t see how a review can be so negative about it? Of course I need to hear it. But the Serial has been revolutionary in placing Penon in the limelight for so many listeners, and while this Quattro is not the Serial, it is supposed to be better. Rest assured too, there are very few 4 DD IEMs, and it seems like maybe it is very tricky to make the set-up work right. But I’m pretty sure my written review will be positive, from Dsnuts take on them........as him and I often hear stuff the same.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #12,456 of 14,001
del

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #12,457 of 14,001
The Turbo has arrived with me. Penon was kind enough to provide it for a tour around Germany. I will publish a review here on Head-Fi at the appropriate time.

Attachments

• 20240114_113330~2.jpg
    20240114_113330~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #12,458 of 14,001
No, it can be any way it works out to be. Yet the craziest thing is we both are talking about an IEM that neither of us have heard. I’m just saying that.......sure his take on an IEM can be proclaimed to be all sorts of things.......any thing he wants. I mean IEMs are heard many different ways, and sure some major (manufacturers) (players) in this game have produced singularly bad IEMs, I just don’t guess the Quattro to be one of them?

There is no authorization process, though I’m sure many feel my very own reviews read exactly that way. I’m only guessing here that the way we are as writers and interpreters of IEMs can flow to the extreme at times, when reality is more (middle) grounded. And just like others have suggested, the Quattro may be interpreted as a great $399.00 IEM or maybe not, but I just don’t see how a review can be so negative about it? Of course I need to hear it. But the Serial has been revolutionary in placing Penon in the limelight for so many listeners, and while this Quattro is not the Serial, it is supposed to be better. Rest assured too, there are very few 4 DD IEMs, and it seems like maybe it is very tricky to make the set-up work right. But I’m pretty sure my written review will be positive, from Dsnuts take on them........as him and I often hear stuff the same.
You’re announcing your bias to Penon IEMs saying you know it’ll be good, and you’re attacking the credibility of a fellow reviewer before you’ve ever heard the IEM in question.

Please stop while you’re behind

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #12,459 of 14,001
You’re announcing your bias to Penon IEMs saying you know it’ll be good, and you’re attacking the credibility of a fellow reviewer before you’ve ever heard the IEM in question.

Please stop while you’re behind
Of course I’m Penon biased, how could I not be? Nothing wrong with that?

I’m simply going by reputation, like buying a Honda or a Yugo. Plus Dsnuts likes it, that’s enough for me. I’m ahead! You can ignore me if you don’t like it.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #12,460 of 14,001
Of course I’m Penon biased, how could I not be? Nothing wrong with that?

I’m simply going by reputation, like buying a Honda or a Yugo. Plus Dsnuts likes it, that’s enough for me. I’m ahead! You can ignore me if you don’t like it.
I think you’re missing the point: the fact that you unapologetically attacked a colleague, to the point that Head-Fi came in and deleted your posts, doesn’t seem to even register to you that your behavior is unacceptable from your position.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #12,461 of 14,001
What is Penon's return window like?

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #12,462 of 14,001
If people would have watched my vid you can see on my face the struggle.

I honestly like the Quattro and think it has probably the best timbre and tonality of any IEM for the mids. I love the graphene driver used here.

It has treble to reiterate just not when listening to bassy music as it gets drowned out. Any IEM will have the same issue with this kind of tuning.

Bass is the big problem, others have done it better much better.

Funny we were talking in my peer group Canucks Audioholics Anonymous and agree that we have become jaded and bias because we have listened to some of the best sets ever. This of course has to trickle down to everything we hear.

So when I say the bass or mids or stage for example is not great you have to put into context that my comparison is from the best sets we have heard. Plunge Audio Unity, Softears Twilight, DTE900, ....

I am glad people are talking about this set and sharing that's what this forum is about and I am sorry I got triggered by a person who didn't watch my review or understand where I was coming from.

My response posts were also deleted saving me the work. 🙏 After some mindful thoughts and some sleep.
20231227_084654.jpg

I should be more like this guy!

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #12,463 of 14,001
My thoughts on the Quattro

I really enjoy this set when not trying to listen to it and just sit back and let the music play and the Quattro to do it's thing.

❤️ Magical Musical Mids some of the best I have ever heard and makes you forget about all the other flaws when you just let your brain turn off and enjoy the music.

Critical listening flaws.
😭 Power Pig - needs power can't really be driven off a phone or low powered dongle.
😭 Source dependant - a warmer source if that your only one will exasperate the bass thickening even more.
😭 Tip dependant of you don't have a great variety you will not be able to bring out the best of this IEM
😭 That MONO non isobaric configuration bass lacks texture
😭 Mid bass is soft and bleeds into the mids too much
😭 Treble is not air or enough to get past the bloated bass on certain tracks, music
😭 Detail and seperation is not strong on this one.
😭 Technical details non existent at lower volumes as is dynamics and needs the juice to get going making the Quattro not great at lower volumes.

20231227_084648.jpg

Edited for more qlarity.

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #12,464 of 14,001
Your videos are always informative and fun! I’ve not had a chance to watch the Quattro one yet, but will.

Even though my taste is a little different to yours, your reviews give enough information to know when I might like a set when you don’t. And I’ve bought several based on your recommendations, most recently the Artti R2. Subscribing to your YouTube channel could get really expensive!

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #12,465 of 14,001

I honestly like the Quattro and think it has probably the best timbre and tonality of any IEM for the mids. I love the graphene driver used here.

It has treble to reiterate just not when listening to bassy music as it gets drowned out. Any IEM will have the same issue with this kind of tuning.

Bass is the big problem, others have done it better much better.

Funny we were talking in my peer group Canucks Audioholics Anonymous and agree that we have become jaded and bias because we have listened to some of the best sets ever. This of course has to trickle down to everything we hear.

So when I say the bass or mids or stage for example is not great you have to put into context that my comparison is from the best sets we have heard. Plunge Audio Unity, Softears Twilight, DTE900, ....

I am glad people are talking about this set and sharing that's what this forum is about and I am sorry I got triggered by a person who didn't watch my review or understand where I was coming from.

My response posts were also deleted saving me the work. 🙏 After some mindful thoughts and some sleep.20231227_084654.jpg
I should be more like this guy!
Think your expectations weren't met and got you a bit frustrated... 😉 that happened to me with the Dome.

More so, when you're comparing it to a higher tier of iem with different tunning and set-up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back