The PENON official thread
Jan 13, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #12,436 of 13,835
Jan 13, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #12,437 of 13,835
BAAD8D3D-42F1-4827-8B22-13569B2D12CE.jpeg

ThieAudio, 64 audio, and JH audio would like a word with you :dt880smile:

I remember seeing a graph (maybe on tgx78 squig) that quattro matches VE Phoenix nearly perfectly. Maybe 4 DD fail to outresolve 13 BAs? The phonix is phenomenally resolving despite the thick, bleedy tonality. Without that resolution, phonix would sound quite poor, given that it already has a cramped stage due to the tuning. Maybe that’s the case with quattro, unless it miraculously matches the phonix resolution.
Yes, you are right, I should have put the words (of which ones I have heard) as........nothing is totally definitive in this hobby. Not totally!

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #12,438 of 13,835

ThieAudio, 64 audio, and JH audio would like a word with you :dt880smile:

I remember seeing a graph (maybe on tgx78 squig) that quattro matches VE Phoenix nearly perfectly. Maybe 4 DD fail to outresolve 13 BAs? The phonix is phenomenally resolving despite the thick, bleedy tonality. Without that resolution, phonix would sound quite poor, given that it already has a cramped stage due to the tuning. Maybe that’s the case with quattro, unless it miraculously matches the phonix resolution.

Yeah, did you get to demo the Phonix alongside the EXT together?

Reading the descriptions here of the Quattro remind me of how my experience with the EXT. EXT felt perfect at first; it really has a good tonality. But..............The instant I put on the Phoenix after, there was a level of resolving ability that no one would expect from a warm tonality iem.......I laughed at myself for liking the EXT just before. No tonality is worth it once you realize how badly resolving it actually is.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #12,439 of 13,835
Yeah, did you get to demo the Phonix alongside the EXT together?

Reading the descriptions here of the Quattro remind me of how my experience with the EXT. EXT felt perfect at first; it really has a good tonality. But..............The instant I put on the Phoenix after, there was a level of resolving ability that no one would expect from a warm tonality iem.......I laughed at myself for liking the EXT just before. No tonality is worth it once you realize how badly resolving it actually is.
Same here. The impressions remind me of EXT.

My impressions of EXT and Phonix are exactly the same as yours too.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #12,440 of 13,835
I know your comment is directed at TDM, but I will say others (me included) have commented that the Quattro, to us, doesn't sound like what others are describing. For example, I know that I sat and compared the Quattro and 10th AE and I heard so much more treble, bass, dynamics in the 10th compared to the Quattro. The Quattro is fun and musical, to me, but it is its faults that deliver that. But faults they are, to me.

In terms of toning down the critique... maybe you might consider asking those hyping it to tone it down a little as well, lest some part with money that might be better spent on something else. At least an open conversation about real pros and cons so informed decisions could be made. Some of the praise is a bit over the top...

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #12,441 of 13,835
I know your comment is directed at TDM, but I will say others (me included) have commented that the Quattro, to us, doesn't sound like what others are describing. For example, I know that I sat and compared the Quattro and 10th AE and I heard so much more treble, bass, dynamics in the 10th compared to the Quattro. The Quattro is fun and musical, to me, but it is its faults that deliver that. But faults they are, to me.

In terms of toning down the critique... maybe you might consider asking those hyping it to tone it down a little as well, lest some part with money that might be better spent on something else. At least an open conversation about real pros and cons so informed decisions could be made. Some of the praise is a bit over the top...
Their tunning and components are different. Both, the 10 AE and Quattro have their appeals.

I would not say either is flawed, meaning deficient, miss developed. That's what I think is being criticized, as personal dislike and blaming Penon. Maybe that particular copy could be a lemon, who knows? I don't agree with that finding, although as mentioned other factors come into play.

I don't have a ton of iems, but plenty to know that the Quattro is special.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #12,442 of 13,835
I don't have a ton of iems, but plenty to know that the Quattro is special.
If I've learned anything it's that everything is subjective and nothing is certain in this hobby. The Serial pretty much has universal praise but I personally didn't care for it and was extremely let down by all the hyped reviews.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #12,443 of 13,835
If I've learned anything it's that everything is subjective and nothing is certain in this hobby. The Serial pretty much has universal praise but I personally didn't care for it and was extremely let down by all the hyped reviews.
Agreed 👍

I fell for the Dome's hyped train, disliked it and got the 10 AE instead. So, I'm grateful for that ladder.

Is best to try before you buy...

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #12,444 of 13,835
Agreed 👍

I fell for the Dome's hyped train, disliked it and got the 10 AE instead. So, I'm grateful for that ladder.

Is best to try before you buy...
This would save so much money and time if I could lol. Ending up trading the Serial for Fan 2 (something I didn't think I would like based on FR and reviews) and ended up liking it way more.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #12,445 of 13,835
Thanks for all of your impressions guys. As someone that's relatively new into this hobby all impressions are welcome and it's important to state what we really feel. I don't think it's fair to say that companies can't make a bad product when they've consistently made good ones before. It's happened a lot of times in any industry. I also ordered the Quattro but that's still a decision I made and I'm still excited for! I don't think talking down on people or calling people names is helpful too. From what I've read you're all respectable people who are nice enough to answer random people on these threads and I think what everyone has to say matters. We all are different and I think we should definitely embrace that since that's what makes life more interesting!

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #12,447 of 13,835
Something Golden is coming, or just a faceplate...

Attachments

• 1705207761264.jpg
    1705207761264.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #12,448 of 13,835
My thoughts on the Quattro

❤️ Magical Musical Mids
😭 Power Pig
😭 Source dependant
😭 Tip dependant
😭 That MONO non isobaric configuration bass lacks texture
😭 Mid bass is soft and bleeds into the mids too much
😭 Treble is not air or enough to get past the bloated bass
😭 Detail and seperation is not strong on this one.
😭 Technical details non existent at lower volumes as is dynamics

20231227_084648.jpg

I initially gave your video a thumbs up, for your candid feedback. But then around the 27 min mark, I‘m scratching my head. Were you being sarcastic when you implied that the Quattro shines, if you don’t really listen to them ?

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #12,449 of 13,835
My posts got deleted, as supposedly I was argumentative about the Quattro......and too personal? Somehow the Quattro is emotional, and I haven’t even heard it?

Some like blondes and some like brunettes.

I’m all done with this thread.......for now. :)

Do you want to deleat this post too?
1FF801B6-A789-42AD-BFA0-873C223B56CD.gif

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #12,450 of 13,835
My posts got deleted, as supposedly I was argumentative about the Quattro......and too personal? Somehow the Quattro is emotional, and I haven’t even heard it?

Some like blondes and some like brunettes.

I’m all done with this thread.......for now. :)

Do you want to deleat this post too?
1FF801B6-A789-42AD-BFA0-873C223B56CD.gif
You seem like a nice enough guy, but maybe consider how your mother or partner or friends or colleagues would have responded if you had shown them your post. None of us are perfect, and I know I have more than a few of those kinds of posts on my record, but seriously, seems more than a bit over the top.

Look everyone can have an opinion without other people getting overly worked up about it. My wife loves cheese, and while I think that's nearly heresy I still love her and try not to go after her too much for her taste in spoiled milk... to each their own!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back