The PENON official thread
Jan 15, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #12,481 of 13,833
Quattro quick thoughts after dicking around with the set for a few hours.

The good:
Both Monks and Dsnuts descriptions of the Quattro are both pretty accurate, more on that below.

The bad:
Your tips, cable and source are going to largely impact your potential results and enjoyment of this set.

The ugly:
I'm not even sure I can share with this forum my assessment of the stock configuration and the amount of disgust I had at first listen with this thing, licking the dirty piss soaked floors clean of a truck stop bathroom to white glove inspection standards would have been more appealing than spending the first moments with this set.

I'm still working through this set, have a LOT more gear to go through, so it will take a lot of time to sort this one out and settle on something. Am I enjoying the set right now, I'd say YES. Can I recommend this set to somebody? No, not at the moment, I wouldn't be comfortable doing so.

Gear used so far:
Hifiman EF400
ifi iDSD Signature
Modi Multibit 2
iFi Zen air stack
Emotiva BasX A2m
Tempotec V6 DAP

Cables:
Stock blue cable 4.4mm
Tripowin Jelly 4.4mm
Shuoer Chimera Modular w/ 3.5mm and 4.4mm configurations.

Tips:
Black and Orange Liqueur tips
Moondrop Spring Tips
Dunu S&S
Divinus Velvet
Spinfit W1

About me: I love all music genre's and sound signatures. I enjoy and employ a wide variety of, source, headphones and IEMs which can be viewed in my spoilered signature.

Jan 15, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #12,482 of 13,833
Quattro is a fantastic set. By far the best I’ve heard from PENON/ISN. It’s a smile on your face type of set. I have zero problem with the bass at all. It’s a bit unique but to me, a very enjoyable quality. As with every other IEM or headphone I’ve ever had cables don’t change the sound at all in anyway to my ears.

Call this hyperbole if you will…but I’m listening to Ngaudio Khaos right now and it’s very possibly the best IEM or headphone i’ve ever heard. Just a STUNNING SET. When I put it down and pop in Quattro it’s not much of a letdown. I’m not saying it’s close, but it’s suck a cool sounding IEM. I like Quattro a lot. A lot.

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #12,483 of 13,833
i guess it just goes to show how audio / audiophilia is in nature divisive. People naturally have preferences that are while innate, can vary from time to time per their mood and even time of day. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It is not a dyed in the wool situation whereby one's words or opinion are taken as gospel - people seem to jump on a particular band wagon and have it go full tilt and suddenly what are intrinsically opinions become fact.

I for one think that the Quattro sounds great, i don't have any issues with the set at all ( heck i even prefer the treble on it over the 10AE ). But hey, perhaps i wake up on the wrong side of the bed one morning and pop it in my ears and it will be the muddiest POS i've ever heard - but that might be the case for any IEM i have in my collection.

So i say just listen to it if you can, for yourself, and then make an informed decision. It is after all the music we are trying to enjoy. The gear is merely a conduit.

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #12,484 of 13,833
Quattro is a fantastic set. By far the best I’ve heard from PENON/ISN. It’s a smile on your face type of set. I have zero problem with the bass at all. It’s a bit unique but to me, a very enjoyable quality. As with every other IEM or headphone I’ve ever had cables don’t change the sound at all in anyway to my ears.

Call this hyperbole if you will…but I’m listening to Ngaudio Khaos right now and it’s very possibly the best IEM or headphone i’ve ever heard. Just a STUNNING SET. When I put it down and pop in Quattro it’s not much of a letdown. I’m not saying it’s close, but it’s suck a cool sounding IEM. I like Quattro a lot. A lot.
I haven't read this whole thread but I saw a video earlier where the Quattro was pretty much trashed, so this is surprising.
Very confusing though....can't figure out if it's worth purchasing or not. It's either fantastic or terrible.

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #12,485 of 13,833
I haven't read this whole thread but I saw a video earlier where the Quattro was pretty much trashed, so this is surprising.
Very confusing though....can't figure out if it's worth purchasing or not. It's either fantastic or terrible.
It's a polarizing set... I genuinely love it.

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #12,486 of 13,833
To try and offer a vacation and a break-up from the drama! :)
DSC_1599.jpegww.jpeg

Interesting as I have a very different take on the GK10s after burn-in. Really smooth now, with correct vocals and amazingly correct timbre, even in the guitars. This review will end-up a fun one to do.

Old Model: GK10
Driver configuration:
1 balanced armature for high frequency
2 piezoelectric ceramic for ultra-high frequency
7mm graphene diaphragm dynamic for middle frequency
8mm dome titanium diaphragm dynamic for bass
Panel: stable wood
Shell material: ABS+PC
Impedance: 8Ω
Sensitivity: 106dB
Frequency response range: 20-30kHz
Cable material: 6-strand silver-plated
Connector: 2pin 0.78mm
Cable length: 1.2m

New Model Geek Wold GK10s 1BA + 2 Piezoelectric + 2 Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm HiFi In-ear Earphone
Specification

5 Driver Hybrid Hi-Fi In-ear Earphone

Model:GK10S
Driver:1 Balanced armature + 2 Piezoelectric ceramics +2 Dynamic Driver
Frequency:20Hz-40kHz
Impedance:100

Sensitivity:106dB
Cable length:1.2M

Package
GK10s
Cable
6 pairs of silicone ear-tips

$49.90 free shipping
https://penonaudio.com/Geek-Wold-GK10s

Truly an amazing experience as after prolonged burn-in, playing around with cables and DAPs, I had a totally different option of it?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #12,487 of 13,833
Quattro quick thoughts after dicking around with the set for a few hours.

The good:
Both Monks and Dsnuts descriptions of the Quattro are both pretty accurate, more on that below.

The bad:
Your tips, cable and source are going to largely impact your potential results and enjoyment of this set.

The ugly:
I'm not even sure I can share with this forum my assessment of the stock configuration and the amount of disgust I had at first listen with this thing, licking the dirty piss soaked floors clean of a truck stop bathroom to white glove inspection standards would have been more appealing than spending the first moments with this set.

I'm still working through this set, have a LOT more gear to go through, so it will take a lot of time to sort this one out and settle on something. Am I enjoying the set right now, I'd say YES. Can I recommend this set to somebody? No, not at the moment, I wouldn't be comfortable doing so.

Gear used so far:
Hifiman EF400
ifi iDSD Signature
Modi Multibit 2
iFi Zen air stack
Emotiva BasX A2m
Tempotec V6 DAP

Cables:
Stock blue cable 4.4mm
Tripowin Jelly 4.4mm
Shuoer Chimera Modular w/ 3.5mm and 4.4mm configurations.

Tips:
Black and Orange Liqueur tips
Moondrop Spring Tips
Dunu S&S
Divinus Velvet
Spinfit W1

About me: I love all music genre's and sound signatures. I enjoy and employ a wide variety of, source, headphones and IEMs which can be viewed in my spoilered signature.
My advice is to listen to some live orchestral music with it once you get it squared away.
IMHO, The timbre and sheer "hugeness" of the music is breathtaking once it all clicks.

Something like this:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #12,488 of 13,833
As others have said, the Quattro is very polarizing. Consider that in your purchase consideration.

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #12,489 of 13,833
Thanks for your constant impressions guys. It How does the Quattro sound with EDM? That's one of the main reasons it ordered it.

Weirdly enough they are taking more than five days to process my order though 🤔.

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #12,490 of 13,833
To try and offer a vacation and a break-up from the drama! :)
DSC_1599.jpegww.jpeg

Interesting as I have a very different take on the GK10s after burn-in. Really smooth now, with correct vocals and amazingly correct timbre, even in the guitars. This review will end-up a fun one to do.

Old Model: GK10
Driver configuration:
1 balanced armature for high frequency
2 piezoelectric ceramic for ultra-high frequency
7mm graphene diaphragm dynamic for middle frequency
8mm dome titanium diaphragm dynamic for bass
Panel: stable wood
Shell material: ABS+PC
Impedance: 8Ω
Sensitivity: 106dB
Frequency response range: 20-30kHz
Cable material: 6-strand silver-plated
Connector: 2pin 0.78mm
Cable length: 1.2m

New Model Geek Wold GK10s 1BA + 2 Piezoelectric + 2 Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm HiFi In-ear Earphone
Specification

5 Driver Hybrid Hi-Fi In-ear Earphone

Model:GK10S
Driver:1 Balanced armature + 2 Piezoelectric ceramics +2 Dynamic Driver
Frequency:20Hz-40kHz
Impedance:100

Sensitivity:106dB
Cable length:1.2M

Package
GK10s
Cable
6 pairs of silicone ear-tips

$49.90 free shipping
https://penonaudio.com/Geek-Wold-GK10s

Truly an amazing experience as after prolonged burn-in, playing around with cables and DAPs, I had a totally different option of it?
That's a great setup for the price. The question is, does it sound better than the Quattro 😆

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #12,491 of 13,833
As others have said, the Quattro is very polarizing. Consider that in your purchase consideration.
For those who were deep in the hobby back then (makes it sound as if it was decades ago)

*Did Serial ever experience these levels of scrutiny?

-Or was the sound signature generally praised & accepted for sounding "different?"

-As I've read & watched, most listeners either love or hate Serial tuning; very binary perceptions regarding her sound signature (even today).

-Could the same thing be happening with Quattro?

Just askin...
✌️

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #12,492 of 13,833
For those who were deep in the hobby back then (makes it sound as if it was decades ago)

*Did Serial ever experience these levels of scrutiny?

-Or was the sound signature generally praised & accepted for sounding "different?"

-As I've read & watched, most listeners either love or hate Serial tuning; very binary perceptions regarding her sound signature (even today).

-Could the same thing be happening with Quattro?

Just askin...
✌️
I remember that serial was mostly praised. Can’t recall a single strongly negative comment. The most negative comment I heard from my circle was “overrated”.

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #12,493 of 13,833
That's a great setup for the price. The question is, does it sound better than the Quattro 😆
I can see the OCD in this very thread.........and that is good........in a dramatic and focused way!

Head-Fi never changes......as there is a mission to be accomplished! We must at any cost find-out and divulge the reality of the IEMs produced and sold!

Are Head-Fi members on a mission?
I think they are............they are.
Unknown-1.jpeg

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #12,494 of 13,833
Those of us who bought the Quattro early took a gamble, not quite knowing what sound we were getting. We did know that Penon make great quality, very musical IEMs and that they tune well, but they (perhaps frustratingly) don’t list the style of tuning.

It turns out that the Quattro has a very warm, rich sound. There is an analogue quality broadly similar to the Serial, with extra range and refinement. Great for me as a fan of that tuning, but for many it would be a disappointment. It didn’t help that many of the earliest impressions were from Penon fans who had a better idea what to expect. Others saw the excellent reviews and bought it, not realising how it was tuned.

Unlike the early purchasers, those interested in the Quattro now know what they are getting. If you want a bright Simgot style tuning, or reference clarity, or a deep V, you will not find it here. The Quattro really is an excellent set but only if you want the sound that it offers.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #12,495 of 13,833
Those of us who bought the Quattro early took a gamble, not quite knowing what sound we were getting. We did know that Penon make great quality, very musical IEMs and that they tune well, but they (perhaps frustratingly) don’t list the style of tuning.

It turns out that the Quattro has a very warm, rich sound. There is an analogue quality broadly similar to the Serial, with extra range and refinement. Great for me as a fan of that tuning, but for many it would be a disappointment.

Unlike the early purchasers, those interested in the Quattro now know what they are getting. If you want a bright Simgot style tuning, or reference clarity, or a deep V, you will not find it here. The Quattro really is an excellent set but only if you want the sound that it offers.
This is my take on the Quattro as well. Take the Serial and add in more refinement and detail retrieval and you get the Quattro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back